ROS on non-PC hardware.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NaT

ROS on non-PC hardware.

Post by NaT »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has got ROS to work on any type of non-PC hardware? I noticed that a lot of people are getting Linux on PDAs and other electronics but one item that I noticed that was not only cheap but also has pretty good hardware in them are, HDD media players. So if youre someone that likes messing around with hardware and software this may be something you might want to look into. As far as I know Chinavasion gives the best deals on HDD media players. If you know of any better deals, please share them as well.

NaT

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Other platforms are down the track.

Reason a crashed OS inside a mediaplayer is very hard to correct at times. Even to find out why it died.

Reactos has to get at least into Beta before this can really be though about.

Nice to see people jump the gun a little bit.

NaT

Post by NaT »

oiaohm wrote:Other platforms are down the track.

Reason a crashed OS inside a mediaplayer is very hard to correct at times. Even to find out why it died.

Reactos has to get at least into Beta before this can really be though about.

Nice to see people jump the gun a little bit.
Thats nice and all but i'm pointing out cheap good hardware only. I'm not saying that people have to port ROS to some type of hardware quickly. Just stating that there is cheap and promising hardware out there for those who are good at developing on hardware and software. Just to promote ideas, i'm not trying to jump the gun or anything.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

PPC based processor computers are currently one of the active side targets. Xbox's have been targeted at other times but was not the simplest to work with due to its hardware limitations.

More will be targeted in time. Simpler having a screen and serial port at this time. Serial port of some for to monitor how it died is virtually a requirement at this time.

When kernel is more stable what is most likely 0.4. Where the code construction of the kernel can be trusted. Attempting to port to some non PC style hardware becomes possible.

Linux most commonly in PDA's and the like is a special version of the kernel "uclinux". This only come like 6 years after linux being stable.

I was not meaning jumping the gun as a insult. Its better than people rehashing dead ideas. I should have used the word future looking. Most likely remind us around 0.4 or 0.5 Reactos. Because these messages will most like get lost in the forum by the time the OS is to a point to do it. I will try to remember this idea.

I should never post in a hurry. Only causes problems.

NaT

Post by NaT »

Thanks for the reply oiaohm. You have pretty much covered all my questions in your reply post. I guess working on non-PC hardware would also take away time from the main project. Which I guess is not an option for those who are working on the main project. Thats what I admire about the people on this project, you guys are very motivated and really want to reach your goals before working on other things.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Different platforms.

Post by Jaix »

This is an area that interests me a lot and I am happy to be able to say that the XBox port is actually working almost as good as the branch however it lacks the USB support which is the only input method for XBox and that cripples the XBox to a vegitable, you can just start the OS not do anything with it. It is also nessesary to chip the XBox and then insert a modified Cromewell version in it to boot.

The PPC port is actively developed, it doesn't work too good yet but it's getting there.

I am -as OIAOHM mentioned- also thinking about other hardware platforms like routers, gateways, mediaplayers and such as future ways of runnig ReactOS (or reasons to run ReactOS), but what is important before that is to have something stable as a foundation, and so far we have just too much problems with the stability.

If you would like to see what's happening in the PPC port you can read about changes in the svn here: http://svn.reactos.org/viewcvs/reactos/ ... s/powerpc/