ReactOS Terminal Server?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

ReactOS Terminal Server?

Post by SomeGuy »

Obviously something like a ReactOS Terminal Server (to clone Microsoft Terminal Server) would be way, way, way down the road but I am curious, are any considerations for something like this being taken?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: ReactOS Terminal Server?

Post by Jaix »

SomeGuy wrote:Obviously something like a ReactOS Terminal Server (to clone Microsoft Terminal Server) would be way, way, way down the road but I am curious, are any considerations for something like this being taken?
I don't know if there is something done yet, but my thoughts is to look at http://www.ltsp.org/ for maybe port it form the LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project). It might be possible to us some of it for ReactOS
tradey

Post by tradey »

Great Idea!!! :D :D
ea
Developer

Re: ReactOS Terminal Server?

Post by ea »

SomeGuy wrote:Obviously something like a ReactOS Terminal Server (to clone Microsoft Terminal Server) would be way, way, way down the road but I am curious, are any considerations for something like this being taken?
Implementing TS functionality will require a lot of work in the Session Manager (smss.exe: proper session initialization and management, per session registry) and in the Win32 emulator (csrss.exe+win32k.sys: system name space split per session, multiple window stations, main console session and microsessions for remote clients, multiuser win32k etc). More: server side network will be required to be stable and RDP or RFB server will need to be written or ported from othe open source projects.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Multiple window stations, etc, will be necessary anyways. The fact that up to XP Windows has always allowed only one user logged in at a time, and the fact that apart from the Server flavors multiple instances of one user, and also multiple Terminal Clients are not allowed, is a silly limitation we should overcome as quickly as possible. The same goes for virtual desktops, a real implementation of which still does not exist in XP. Imho, the foundation for these kind of features should be laid as early on as possible, before we get any "the current design of win32k window stations in reactos does not allow for this" problems.
Also, the three-finger-salute will have found its use in ReactOS, for we can use it to display a session manager where you can fast user switch, login, logout, and manage virtual desktops and remote sessions. Imho a better use than "Windows Security" which offers rather uninspiring options, like "Task Manager" (anybody hear of the ctrl+shift+esc combination? :roll: ).
Jaix
Moderator Team

Terminal server and multi log-in

Post by Jaix »

I agree t what ea says, it will be lot of work, but I also agree to what mf says, it is a thing that should be done early, just like linux it woyld be good to be able to log-in on several accounts and from a remote computer.
I also want to make a suggestion, check UltraVNC out! it is just soooo fast, infact it offer about 100 screen updates every second. totally cool, and it doesnt consume all bandwidth in a network either. http://www.ultravnc.com
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

If early on there is support for multiple users (just like in Linux you can have virtually infinite different users logged in) then older 9x programs (or just poorly written NT ones) could be programmed around by having them start as user 'PROGRAMSNAME' which would just act as if its directory is its home directory (it would be given write access, but no where else), that way the whole permissions and admin problem could be overcome possibly?
"People do have a real life." -- w3seek

Guess that means I'm not a person :-D
Jaix
Moderator Team

2 keyboards, 2 mice, 2 display adapers and 2 log-ins

Post by Jaix »

I would like to be able to attach 2 keyboards, 2 mice, 2 display adapers and 2 screens and then lock them to different log-ins thus use one computer as two or more, then the multi login and terminal service is fundamental.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Subject is renewed

Post by Jaix »

Soone one else has started with the same ideas again, I love it!
a2z

Post by a2z »

We have had to to use TS Edition since the day it came out and I hated its guts. The reason is this: all the client sessions use one single IP number --that of the server.

If there were some way to assign each session a different IP number (thru some sort of DHCP) life would be so much easier for us all --from the viewpoint of firewall & internet access etc.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Every session should have an own IP!

Post by Jaix »

a2z wrote:We have had to to use TS Edition since the day it came out and I hated its guts. The reason is this: all the client sessions use one single IP number --that of the server.

If there were some way to assign each session a different IP number (thru some sort of DHCP) life would be so much easier for us all --from the viewpoint of firewall & internet access etc.
Well, Yes!
I strongly agree, and it shouldn't be any promblem, VMware does it in a nice way, even VICE c64 emulator does it (with help of WinPCAP) and thinking about we have total control of the Networking it should be pretty easy to implement. Anyone who can tell us something abour this, Arty for example?
oiaohm

DRBL.sf.net Anyone

Post by oiaohm »

This sould be simpler to setup and get working.

Requirements Network filesystem support(something network filesystem) nfs file support would be nice(extendend attribs doing what ntfs features it does not support).
A loader that works with boot from network.(yep this would have been simple if this was using some standard loader not a custom one)

The Network server sorts out the parts to load depending on mac address.

Every machine has a independant IP every machine runs it own programs just every machine does not have a harddrive.

This requires lot smaller servers.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Wiki ROS-idea page about Terminal Services

Post by Jaix »

Hello, I have set up a Wiki ROS-idea page about ReactOS Terminal Services my thought is to have a place to impart our different ideas about what we want to see in a future effort. Please feel free to add any idea that you have.

You can find the page here:
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/React ... l_Services
Floyd

VNC

Post by Floyd »

i think VNC is a natural choice for the terminal services client/server since it's open source.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
sedwards
Developer

Re: Wiki ROS-idea page about Terminal Services

Post by sedwards »

Hi Jaix,
Jaix wrote:Hello, I have set up a Wiki ROS-idea page about ReactOS Terminal Services my thought is to have a place to impart our different ideas about what we want to see in a future effort. Please feel free to add any idea that you have.

You can find the page here:
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/React ... l_Services
I found this project which is a simple RDP server for Linux and Windows that I am looking at tieing in to ReactOS.

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xrdp

Thanks
Steven
-sedwards