Vista Aero, Linux XGL, ROS ... Any plans?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

networking device drivers implemented
yes they work, since it's possible to go on the net. :wink:
Ros 0.3.0 don't support OpenGL, SDL, etc. at all due kernel changes and regressions. Currently, it seems as 0.3.1 will support OpenGL (mesa), SDL, etc. again.
I didn't know it was caused by a regression... By the way, I thought that Mesa3D does not use windows drivers, does it? So I thought that there would be 3d hardware acceleration only under X window.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Mesa can be set to do software only rendering so it doesn't really need a 3D enabled graphics card. Thus it does not necessarily need a 3D driver. Though of course it takes a performance hit if only acting as a software renderer.
Karl

Post by Karl »

cmoibenlepro wrote:
networking device drivers implemented
yes they work, since it's possible to go on the net. :wink:
yes, but we can't just download a windows driver for our card and use it on ROS.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Yes, on ReactOS 0.3.0 the Download-Window of Mozilla Firefox. And also the drivers might not work for now.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Mesa can be set to do software only rendering so it doesn't really need a 3D enabled graphics card. Thus it does not necessarily need a 3D driver. Though of course it takes a performance hit if only acting as a software renderer.
So finally, was I right?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Nop. Just because something can do software render does not mean it cannot use 3d drivers if they are there.

Mesa will use 3d card drivers if it know how to talk to them. Under Linux Nvidia does not provide drivers supporting mesa. ATI does.

ogl I think I got that right is under windows. The extention lib that normal microsoft opengl uses to access 3d card features. Mesa calls the same thing and gets the video card driver super boost. As well Mesa has some of its own drivers for old cards.

But anyone who has used mesa in software mode almost every linux user. Will tell you its not a good idea.

It complete does the functions of a Nvidia Geforce 2~3 card. Right down to CG code in card. Poor standard processor is not built to handle this. So 1 to 2 frames per 10 mins is possible. Hugh skiping.