ReactOS on an OLPC?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jkxx

ReactOS on an OLPC?

Post by jkxx »

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/0 ... 4221.shtml

The article talks about whether Linux or Windows would be better on these computers with limited resources (about 512 MB of flash). Might be just me but ROS's small size would make it ideal for a device like that, once it becomes more stable. As usual, comments welcome.
frik85
Developer

Re: ReactOS on an OLPC?

Post by frik85 »

jkxx wrote:http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/0 ... 4221.shtml

The article talks about whether Linux or Windows would be better on these computers with limited resources (about 512 MB of flash). Might be just me but ROS's small size would make it ideal for a device like that, once it becomes more stable. As usual, comments welcome.
Some ReactOS developers were already in contact with "One Laptop per Child computers" organisation, prior they have choosen a modified RedHat linux distro.
You can search the forum and we have even a powerpoint slideshow about that topic.
ReactOS will be probably more suitable than linux can ever became in 1-2 years for OLPC. We will see how that envolves in future :wink:
jkxx

Post by jkxx »

NICE! I'd be happy if they pick Linux over winblows, but ROS over Linux is a better choice still, not just because of the lightweight specs. Either way, this should make OLPC developments more interesting.
frik85
Developer

PPT Slideshow

Post by frik85 »

... and we have even a powerpoint slideshow about that topic: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... pt?view=co
Nuno Brito

Post by Nuno Brito »

This is a good goal - I remember an interview where bill g was joking on the low specs of these machines..

Whatever OS is used, I'm sure it will be a really good to use nifty machine.. :)
Nuno Brito - photobiography
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

$100 Laptop project would be an excellent partner to work with I think. It would help us to get more momentum to ReactOS, with come semi-commersial interests behind some parts of the development could free up some of the developers to work full-time for ReactOS and even to get some new ones attached to us.

We need more time for the developers to spend on developing, this could be done by getting sponsors willing to pay some of our own developers or by an organization paying some to start working on some part of ReactOS or even to develop an opensource 3rd party part of windows that we can us in ReactOS (SAMBA-TNG will be added like this, developers from that project has ported it to Win32 platform, then we will cooperate creating the driver and plugin).

Please keep your eyes open and spread the word about ReactOS so we can get more resources.