When will it ever be stable?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jimtabor
Developer

All Most There

Post by jimtabor »

Hi,
After Alex finishes the ntoskrnl rewrite (it's FIN?). We will need to look at our device drivers. ATM it does look like most of our drivers are out of date. I will test Arty's patch after work, unless something popped up before that and the patch is not correct. 8^P

Working my ASS off & Thanks,
James

calande

Post by calande »

We all would like to be able to use ReactOS in production the next day, but, anyway, that's life, we'll wait a few more years :)

In the meantime, we need to support, and help, at least mentally, the developers, saying what they do is a tremendous challenge and it'll pay off eventually. BTW, I'd like to know what regular users who aren't developers can do to help the project, aside from testing and reporting bugs. Thanks and good luck! :wink:

FORCE

Post by FORCE »

calande wrote:We all would like to be able to use ReactOS in production the next day, but, anyway, that's life, we'll wait a few more years :)

In the meantime, we need to support, and help, at least mentally, the developers, saying what they do is a tremendous challenge and it'll pay off eventually. BTW, I'd like to know what regular users who aren't developers can do to help the project, aside from testing and reporting bugs. Thanks and good luck! :wink:
Regular users mission should be promoting ReactOS with any effective method.

I have my strategy published here:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3135

calande

Post by calande »

Good idea :wink:

tomleem

Regular User Promoting ROS

Post by tomleem »

FORCE wrote:
calande wrote:We all would like to be able to use ReactOS in production the next day, but, anyway, that's life, we'll wait a few more years :)

Regular users mission should be promoting ReactOS with any effective method.

I have my strategy published here:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3135
As a regular (non-programming) user, I do my best to promote ReactOS. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

Xylber

Post by Xylber »

I will change my signature in some forums too.

What we need is push to OpenSource programmers makes apps for ReactOS, for example, I made this logo:

[ external image ]

In SourceForge there is a lot of people, and there is a lot of programmers who says: "I want to make something, but I dont know what.. I will make a new calculator", we need them for works on it.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

good idea :D

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Umm, I'd like to just point out from a practical perspective, we're trying to avoid breaking compatibility with Windows. That means anything that runs on ROS should also run on Windows. So don't take that idea too far.

Sand

Post by Sand »

Good idea :-)

Xylber

Post by Xylber »

Z98 wrote:Umm, I'd like to just point out from a practical perspective, we're trying to avoid breaking compatibility with Windows. That means anything that runs on ROS should also run on Windows. So don't take that idea too far.
You are the developter, but, the real thing isnt it?: "anything that runs on Windows should also run on ReactOS" and not the inverse.
Now ROS is alpha, but when it where 1.0 and a lot of people use it as "everyday OS" doesnt matter if the apps FOR ReactOS are compatible with Windows, but does matter make Windows apps works on ReactOS.
In other words, imagine one day there is a Photoshop for ReactOS, will you (the developters) try to make ReactOS in some extrange way making the PhotoShop for ROS versions works on Windows too?, in that way Microsoft wins doing nothing, because right now Microsoft is not changing his OS to make the apps compatible with ReactOS. :wink:

Making apps FOR ReactOS is a way to win compatibility and importance to the proyect (importance because the software companies will see in ROS a chance to win money with their products), of course, who make the app compatible with ROS can make another version compatible with Windows and Linux, but having a real ROS version of the apps makes less works on compatibility for devs.

That is my point of view, Im new here, and maybe I dont catch the which were the original idea for the proyect.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

On the contrary, the developers don't want ROS specific applications in the general sense. Programmers are barely willing to port their applications to Linux and Mac, why would we want to introduce another player into the field?

Most of the developers aren't motivated by hate for Microsoft. The fact that ROS may hurt them is a side effect, though not entirely unwelcome. We want ROS so that we can run Windows applications. That by itself has some major repercussions, but we are certainly not trying to create the "next best thing" by any means.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

A supporter logo would be good. Marking compatibility and testing work to improve reactos.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Xylber, get a grip on reality. Even *nix application base cannot compete with Windows one. You want us to create a third base, dedicated to ROS?

Our project aim is to make use of Windows applications and drivers with an NT-compatible OS. This way, making Windows apps working on ROS is our goal. We do not have enough resources, manpower and popularity for a proper and full time OS development and you want us to divide those for apps as well?

Xylber

Post by Xylber »

Haos wrote:On the contrary, the developers don't want ROS specific applications in the general sense. Programmers are barely willing to port their applications to Linux and Mac, why would we want to introduce another player into the field?
That's why I think the logo is needed from now, because later, when ROS were 1.0 will happened the same as Linux.

There is a big difference betwen ports here, If I am the company I know things like:
*My app will be sold in WIndows
*Linux users dont pays for apps, uses everything OpenSource
*MacOS version can give me no more of 3% of benefits compared to Windows version.
So, knowing that, Linux is not an option for my app, and redo from scratch my app for make it compatible with MacOS cost money/time, I need people who know how to programm for MacOS; that money/time can be used for make better the Windows app (which gives me more money).
The advantage here is ReactOS is "something like" Windows, and the companies not need contract more coders, and dont need a lot of time, because ReactOS is "knowed"
Haos wrote:Our project aim is to make use of Windows applications and drivers with an NT-compatible OS. This way, making Windows apps working on ROS is our goal. We do not have enough resources, manpower and popularity for a proper and full time OS development and you want us to divide those for apps as well?
I know, of course I know, but that the reason, you are fighting in make apps compatibles, you are using time for it; for example Firefox.
If a guy (or company) come with a Firefox version for ReactOS (which can or not works in Windows too) you are gaining time, time you can use for make another app compatible or make HW compatibilities.

You win time, its very hard (impossible) to make 100% windows apps works on ReactOS, but you can make the 50% works on it, and the other 50% is given by the software developters. You win.. 50% of time to works on other thing (or for take a break) or better yet for make the win apps compatible with ROS, doest matter if the "react Os version" get obsolete later (because windows one works).. Mh, i think I need an example:

"today is January 1st"
"January 1st Blender developers make it compatible with ROS"
"July 1st ROS gets compatibility with Blender for Windows, Blender for ROS is obsolete"

In that example, you get compatibility for Blender six month before doing nothing.
If you quit the second sentence:

"today is January 1st"
"July 1st ROS gets compatibility with Blender for Windows"

You lose 6 month of compatibility without winning or lossing nothing.

Thinking in it, you dont need to do nothing, the people make the compatibility from "outside" without touching the code of ReactOS. This gives you results quicker, I think.

Sorry if I come with "revolutionary" ideas, but are suggestions and its my best way to try to help.

soresu

Post by soresu »

As I understand it, the current status of ReactOS is that it is an incomplete OS dedicated to achieving an NT compatible environment.
Therefore it has no separate "feature complete" environment from which to run more complicated apps until full NT compatibility is attained - is this correct?