ATI offers DirectX - OpenGL converter

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

ATI offers DirectX - OpenGL converter

Post by forart »

Macworld wrote:Graphics chip maker ATI Technologies has released HLSL2GLSL, an open source -BSD- application designed to help programmers convert graphics code optimized for Windows’ DirectX 9 Application Programming Interface (API) to OpenGL, which is used on the Mac. Binaries for Mac OS X and Windows are available for download.
Official HLSL2GLSL SourceForge page
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

walter

Post by walter »

this could be useful until open source dx aren't available

dark

Post by dark »

walter wrote:this could be useful until open source dx aren't available
Depends on if OpenGL support has been restored in reactos.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Not that much use to Reactos.

Reactos is planed to have a true direct X stack. Drivers and all.

Useful for winehq and other platforms.

I had a Direct X 8 to opengl that works really well. Nice upgrade.

jjkola

Post by jjkola »

Maybe it should be pointed out that this program doesn't help end-user it only helps developer to transform their shaders from directx to opengl. So you need the source code for program or game to make use of it.

samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Maybe it should be pointed out that this program doesn't help end-user it only helps developer to transform their shaders from directx to opengl. So you need the source code for program or game to make use of it.
Indeed. Nothing to see(unless you want to port your DX game to OpenGL)... go home.
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4

forart

Post by forart »

oiaohm wrote:Reactos is planed to have a true direct X stack. Drivers and all.
If so, why don't we try to involve ATI (aka AMD) in the development of the open source directx stack ?

I think they have a good skilled devs... :roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Cristan

Post by Cristan »

forart wrote:If so, why don't we try to involve ATI (aka AMD) in the development of the open source directx stack ?

I think they have a good skilled devs... :roll:
And why would ATi do that? They don't make any drivers for any OS other than windows or unix based, it took almost an eternity before they properly supported linux and a good working DirectX stack benefits nVidia as well. The chances of ATi helping out are just about zero.

I guess we'll just have to be patient until the ReactOS devs have a working DirectX stack.

walter

Post by walter »

i think we could open a thread thinking about which companies would help reactos and trying to contact them...

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

We already got directdraw stack in ReactOS it need bugfix and allot other thing are need around it. Before it be usefull for user

mvent2

Post by mvent2 »

walter wrote:i think we could open a thread thinking about which companies would help reactos and trying to contact them...
I think IBM would be quite interested. They were the big bad monopoly in the 80's (70's?), but when their BIOS was clean room reverse engineered and implemented on competing machines, they lost that monopoly and now we have the home PC market to this day.

Microsoft benefited from this breakthrough because of the newly widespread use of this BIOS which DOS ran from. They're now in the same situation IBM was in in the 80's. They're the big bad corporation with a trade secret known as Windows that, if it were cloned and competed with, would cause their monopoly to cripple. I think IBM wouldn't hesitate to make sure Microsoft gets its turn. ;)

Google is also a big open-source supporter and anti-Microsoft. Since this project is trying to make a free reimplementation of the world's most popular piece of software, I'm sure they'd be happy to be part of a potential monopoly-breaker.

After Microsoft's years of arrogance, spreading FUD, illegal competition crushing, shady partnerships, price fixing and constant lock in, any IT company hoping to get a foot in the door wouldn't mind supporting ReactOS.

When ReactOS is ready for widespread use, I'm sure many, many corporations would be more than happy to spread the word and market it, if only to break the entire IT industry's reliance on one evil company.