other oses windows compatible

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pierwszy

other oses windows compatible

Post by pierwszy »

do you know other operating systems that are compatible with Windows (can be commercial, but i`m looking for freeware)? i think that ReactOS is still in early phase of develophment (floopy-problem in setup, total commander is not working, very weak ROS explorer etc.) to use as stand-alone OS.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

No, there aren't others. There are some other solutions like emulators on Linux. Wine for example.
forart

E/OS

Post by forart »

E/OS is a graphic operating system open source under license GNU GPL 2,0, for the execution of Microsoft programs Windows, Apple MAC OS, IBM OS/2, MSDOS and Linux.
Check it out
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
pierwszy

Post by pierwszy »

it`s sounds too great too be real :shock: but i`m downloading it and i`m going to install it
thanks
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

cumon, E/OS is sh*t.
you could install a linux feat. wine and would get the same effect on a better OS.....
pierwszy

Post by pierwszy »

loki - why E/OS is a sh*t?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

pierwszy wrote:loki - why E/OS is a sh*t?
cause it pretends to be a real, homebrewn OS which can run WIN32/DOS/OS2 and even MAC OS & Linux apps.... at the moment it can do nothing worth to show....
it is done by 2 folks (according to the sf projects page).
hey, why not, let them do if they like, but IMHO it is worth not much, and i will never install that thing for sure.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I havn't tried this, but I think too that Linux with wine (or crossover office) is the (second) best alternetive it the moment, if you want to to use win apps.

If you wonder what the best is: It's still Microsoft Windows (tm). (untill ros 1.0 is out :))
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

Dr. Fred wrote:I havn't tried this, but I think too that Linux with wine (or crossover office) is the (second) best alternetive it the moment, if you want to to use win apps.

If you wonder what the best is: It's still Microsoft Windows (tm). (untill ros 1.0 is out :))
THE BEST IS LINUX :evil: :evil:
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

ma-games.de wrote:No, there aren't others. There are some other solutions like emulators on Linux. Wine for example.
Wine Is Not an Emulator ;)
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

GrRrRrR! I heard it as "WINdows Emulator" :evil:

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

It's both of them actually, but you can trust the GNU foundation to come up with recursive acronyms for EVERYTHING...
Next off, it's going to be ROS is Open Source or something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WINE
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
GvG

Post by GvG »

AcetoliNe wrote:It's both of them actually, but you can trust the GNU foundation to come up with recursive acronyms for EVERYTHING...
Except that the GNU project is not involved in Wine.
Anyone can put just about anything in wikipedia, that doesn't make it correct. The Wine people themselves are a bit sensitive to this issue and will tell you that it should be Wine Is Not an Emulator
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

solemnwarning wrote:THE BEST IS LINUX :evil: :evil:
I was talking about running windows apps. Not about the OS in general and this is something Windows is really better at :).
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
dcuny

Post by dcuny »

There seems to be some confusion as to what Wine is, and how it relates to the ReactOS.

First of all, the Wine acronym is correct: it is not an emulator. If you want an example of an emulator, have a look at Bochs or QEmu. You can think of an emulator as a "simulator", since it's using software to simulate a computer.

Windows programs (in theory) would run under Linux, since they compile down to assembly code. The problem is that they make calls to Windows library functions. Since these routines don't exist in Linux, the program will fail.

What Wine does is supply the missing libraries, so you can run Windows programs under Linux. Again, they aren't emulated, since your CPU is actually executing the compiled executable. When a Windows application makes a call to a Windows library function, Wine handles the request.

Since the underlying OS is different (for example, Linux uses the XWindow system instead of the Win32 GDI), there is some work involved in translating a request so it will do something sensible under Linux. As a result, applications may run slower under Wine. However, only the calls to the Wine library are slower - the rest of the application runs at the same speed as it does under Windows, since it's running compiled code on the CPU.

Before people start saying how much better the ReactOS will be than Wine, be aware that those same Wine libraries are used in the ReactOS. The difference is that instead of having to translate requests to something Linux would understand, Wine converts Windows library calls to something the ReactOS understands. That is, under Linux:

Code: Select all

Windows library call --> Wine --> Instructions to Linux OS
while under ReactOS:

Code: Select all

Windows library call --> Wine --> Instructions to ReactOS
The big difference is that under the ReactOS, those calls don't have to be converted to a different protocol: they are already implemented natively.

So the big difference between running a Windows program under Linux with Wine and under the ReactOS is how the low-level calls are converted. In Linux, they have to be translated into an "alien" tongue, while under the ReactOS, they are just "native" calls to equivalent functions.