Install Mozilla

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ki

Install Mozilla

Post by Ki »

I have a new machine with a 300gb Windows XP64 HDD and a 40gb Linux HDD. I don't really like Windows, and I don't know why I set it up like that :P. However, I need Windows on extremely rare occasions so I keep it.

Lately, I've been looking for various things to stuff my 300gb HDD, but Windows doesn't like being bloated. So I've looked for other cool Operating Systems to try out. I found SkyOS and it looks like it'll be great but I won't buy it until I know its perfect. I liked the look of FreeBSD and Solaris too (yes, I'm a unix fan). What I really wanted though was an alternative like SkyOS that was free, simple and worked alongside a big OS for all my problems like FreeBSD. Sure, Haiku looks great but it won't work on my machine.

That is when I stumbled upon ReactOS. Sure, it is Windowsish, and it is no Haiku or SkyOS but it just WORKED. (By the way, my advice for the developers is: some plans for the future could be a GUI editor, WINE implementation so that programs that don't work natively can still run, and maybe replace the "get firefox" with a package manager type deal that just downloads recommended software from their locations on the internet. Then I reckon a WHOLE lot of people would be looking at a main OS. Plus, you could get rid of that "a viable alternative to businesses that'll NEVER resort to Linux" rubbish and replace it with "a MASSIVE improvement to Windows (windows 2055 maybe xD)" That'd be nice :D)

-- Now to my problem: --

I found the Install Firefox button which was a relief as, although ibrowser is AWESOME, it is still a little buggy and underdeveloped.

However, after downloading, the install screen comes up and says "close other applications, blabla, whatever" and when I click next it just disappears! :(

phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I have had that Firefox problem, too.
Which version of ReactOS do you use?

ReactOS does have a packet manager, but it doesn't have many downloads yet (it's located in system32).
And a Wine implementation won't do anything as most dlls are already shared between the two projects, so it's easier to improve the operation system itself.
my blog: phoenix.de.am

Ki

Post by Ki »

Thanks! I use ReactOS 0.3

geertvdijk

Re: Install Mozilla

Post by geertvdijk »

Ki wrote:I have a new machine with a 300gb Windows XP64 HDD and a 40gb Linux HDD. I don't really like Windows, and I don't know why I set it up like that :P. However, I need Windows on extremely rare occasions so I keep it.

Lately, I've been looking for various things to stuff my 300gb HDD, but Windows doesn't like being bloated. So I've looked for other cool Operating Systems to try out. I found SkyOS and it looks like it'll be great but I won't buy it until I know its perfect. I liked the look of FreeBSD and Solaris too (yes, I'm a unix fan). What I really wanted though was an alternative like SkyOS that was free, simple and worked alongside a big OS for all my problems like FreeBSD. Sure, Haiku looks great but it won't work on my machine.

That is when I stumbled upon ReactOS. Sure, it is Windowsish, and it is no Haiku or SkyOS but it just WORKED. (By the way, my advice for the developers is: some plans for the future could be a GUI editor, WINE implementation so that programs that don't work natively can still run, and maybe replace the "get firefox" with a package manager type deal that just downloads recommended software from their locations on the internet. Then I reckon a WHOLE lot of people would be looking at a main OS. Plus, you could get rid of that "a viable alternative to businesses that'll NEVER resort to Linux" rubbish and replace it with "a MASSIVE improvement to Windows (windows 2055 maybe xD)" That'd be nice :D)

-- Now to my problem: --

I found the Install Firefox button which was a relief as, although ibrowser is AWESOME, it is still a little buggy and underdeveloped.

However, after downloading, the install screen comes up and says "close other applications, blabla, whatever" and when I click next it just disappears! :(
Since ReactOS still is in Alpha, it has indeed got many bugs, the firefox bug is one of them. It is probably fixed in 0.3.1 or 0.3.2, so keep an eye on those versions, for I don't think there's a fix for your problem. Maybe other people do know one, though.
Another thing: it seems to me you are wanting to run ReactOS instead of XP. Now since ReactOS is meant for that, it's logical, however, since ReactOS is still in Alpha, so it's not really up to the task of fully replacing Windows... I'm not sure whether you knew this, so I'm just saying...
-graey-

Quip

Post by Quip »

The problem is that someone uploaded firefox 2.0. The new firefox version uses a different installer than the previous versions which causes reactos to do a usermode crash.

steveh

Firefox 2.0 installer NOT ok, alternative?

Post by steveh »

First alternative:

- use "portable firefox", i think it's out in version 2.0 now, i'm using portable fox 1.5.0.7 at this moment on reactos

- maybe unpack the "firefox....exe" with a zip-utility (winzip, 7zip,...) and then copy it where normally programs reside "/program files". (not yet tried myself)

mgmechanics

Unable to install firefox via "Start-Programs-Download

Post by mgmechanics »

I'm unable to install firefox via "Start-Programs-Download !"
After the files are downloaded and the license is accepted, the install-process stops with a message
"Error opening file for writing
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\searchplugins\amazondotcom.xml *)
Click Retry to try again, or
click Cancel to stop the installation."

"Retry" changes nothing (the messages pops up again), repeating the whole process leads to the same, even when i

creat the directory "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\searchplugins\" - even with an emty

"amazondotcom.xml". (The Download! - tool often crashes, and then ROS is freezed)

Only Cancel did what it promises - it cancelled the installation.

Workaround: Choosing another directory, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.REACTOS\My Documents\My Videos\

I used VMWare(r) Player 2.0.2 build-59824.

*) Also seen

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\talkback@mozilla.org\components
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\chromela Thunderbird\chrome