Does reactOS support non-x86 platforms?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Arloan

Does reactOS support non-x86 platforms?

Post by Arloan » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:46 pm

What about amd64?
What about mips?

Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:57 pm

No formally planned support for those platforms. However, there is currently two projects to explore the PPC and ARM architectures

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:59 pm

Currently the focus is on getting it running on x86. If you are interested arty is porting it to PowerPC, I think he’s got as far as getting freelrd to start loading ROS. Apart from that and Xbox (not maintained, nor is it really a different architect) there are no other targets so far.

I’m sure once the main trunk gets more stable a 64bit port will appear. MIPS is probably a little more difficult, but in the future who knows it could be ported to that.

Jaix
Moderator Team

when ReactOS is released.

Post by Jaix » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:05 pm

when ReactOS is released (1.0) or at least we have a stable kernal a lot will happen on that area. I guess we will have almost as many different platforms as linux has. when talking about the ARM platform I think we will rether see a new project that targets WindowsCE compatibility rather then porting ReactOS. But for the moment I think we have to focus ReactOS stability so we have a useful OS to start with. The PPC platform is developed as a fun project / proof of concept by one or a few developers needing recreation and stimulation rather then the goal to make more platforms available.

Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Actually, I'd looove to see an ARM OS that could run normal (If recompiled) Standard Windows Apps.

In fact, that would make my day.

The problem with Windows CE. . .Is that near enough everything about it flatly sucks.

The GUI has one good part to it, namely the Today Screen. After that point I think implementation of a new GUI system is in order. Compatibility with Apps is good, but unlike the Windows GUI which is often replicated rarely bettered (In basic terms) The CE GUI's are usually abandoned in competitors. In fact, I only know of the today screen being replicated in Symbian, and everything else about that OS is completely different. I think in terms of ARM Operating Systems a different approach is required. a New OS/GUI system that is scalable so it can run and work well on anything from an ARM based Set Top Box to my Mobile Phone. (WM PocketPC 5 PE based)