question

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tbay007

question

Post by tbay007 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:25 am

Ok, so i ran the Live CD of React OS. It didn't let me do much, and from what i can tell about the system, its kinda like a hybrid of Linux and windows mixed into one. Because it seems to have A LOT of the free programs that are offered by linux but everyone has been saying your also trying to get it to be windows compatible.

I have a question about FAT16/32 though. Isn't that less secure? Aren't you more prone for errors or mess up when formatting a drive to that?

And i know this is in "Alpha" testing, so i am not yet gonna switch over for fear of things going wrong, i will let the testers do that ;-) but in the near future, lets say 2010, will you hope to have a working copy that is decent and all around? I am willing to donate if i see progress, and from 1996 to 2006, you only made to 0.3 version, which isn't too much progress, just curious about that.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:31 am

Hi
0.3.0 is huge step forward for us.
1. Network support
2. partly USB support
3. the parltly ground for directx hal support for 2d and 3d.
4. alot bugfix
5. alot translations
6. new desgin
7. Alot work in win32k for graphic and windows handling
8. partly PNP support
and alot more

Thuse prgoram in packet manger is windows version of the program
we can not run linux apps direcly. We need a program writen for windows.
and compile for windows. Take a look at screenshot and video demo of reactos u will see like Unreal Turment (windows version) runing in ReactOS and ms office and alot more.

when we reach to 0.5 we will go into beta stage of ReactOS as u see we have come veryfar. And when dx, and wifi network card support is inplace noting stop me switch to reactos.

Andrewm1986

Re: question

Post by Andrewm1986 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:00 am

tbay007 wrote:Ok, so i ran the Live CD of React OS. It didn't let me do much, and from what i can tell about the system, its kinda like a hybrid of Linux and windows mixed into one. Because it seems to have A LOT of the free programs that are offered by linux but everyone has been saying your also trying to get it to be windows compatible.

I have a question about FAT16/32 though. Isn't that less secure? Aren't you more prone for errors or mess up when formatting a drive to that?

And i know this is in "Alpha" testing, so i am not yet gonna switch over for fear of things going wrong, i will let the testers do that ;-) but in the near future, lets say 2010, will you hope to have a working copy that is decent and all around? I am willing to donate if i see progress, and from 1996 to 2006, you only made to 0.3 version, which isn't too much progress, just curious about that.
Just to make it clear

ReactOS is NOT Linux. It is NOT based on Linux. It is NOT Linux compatable. It does NOT run Linux programs.

ReactOS is a Windows NT Clone

Coviti

Re: question

Post by Coviti » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:43 pm

tbay007 wrote:It didn't let me do much, and from what i can tell about the system, its kinda like a hybrid of Linux and windows mixed into one.
You are mostly correct. It is more like a hybrid of... Windows and Windows mixed into one. :P

samwise52

Post by samwise52 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:26 pm

You are mostly correct. It is more like a hybrid of... Windows and Windows mixed into one.
I laughted out loud on that one. so true....
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4

Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:12 pm

hey, noone's given it the "ReactOS is an alpha" speech!

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:15 pm

Fat16/32 is just the development filesystem for the Alpha. It does have one advanage. Its stronger agaist crash damage than most filesystems. And its not complex to get right.

Secuirty is kinda missing everwhere at moment. Need stable OS before worrying to much about it. Plan includes more filesystems and secuirty along the way.

Finger crossed that reactos get to 0.4.0 before the end of year. Just to show that a project can speed up massively.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:37 pm

oiaohm wrote:Fat16/32 is just the development filesystem for the Alpha. It does have one advanage. Its stronger agaist crash damage than most filesystems.
I wouldn't agree here. I can't compare FAT to other unjournaled filesystems, but it's a lot more vulnarable to crah damage than e.g. NTFS. So I will probably use Win NTFS driver as soon as it works.