SMP for REACTOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

artamb

SMP for REACTOS

Post by artamb »

It would be nice to see in ver 1.00 of REACTOS the ability for the kernel to support SMP on both AMD and Intel CPUs.

caveat (only to support dual cpu) since there are many users who have
dual CPU workstations. I don't see a need to have a SMP-kernel to support more than 2 cpus.
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

I also wanna to see the SMP support on ROS. I have a dual p3 machine to test it ;)
GvG

Post by GvG »

Hartmutt has done a lot of work on SMP support recently. I don't know the current status though.
artamb

Post by artamb »

Has decsion been made on which ver of ROS will support SMP?

Thanks
Stead

Post by Stead »

will it support hyperthreading?

i'm hoping it will, as i noticed windows 2000 is a bit, slow to say the least on this P4 when its on, xp runs amazing tho, and reactos just shows up as one cpu
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

sure it will support SMP and there's also going to be an optimized version for HT. I'm pretty sure they're going to be available far earlier than 1.0!

Maybe already 0.4 or even 0.3.x...Who knows ;)
DocPheniX

Post by DocPheniX »

ive got a dual p2 333 with 256mb of ram that i can test on :twisted:
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

DocPheniX wrote:ive got a dual p2 333 with 256mb of ram that i can test on :twisted:
ooo what a bad boy machine :D :D :D
Jaix
Moderator Team

SMP ISO please

Post by Jaix »

Well, I would like to suggest a SMP ISO in the svn.

I have three SMP machines, one relic Dual P166MHz, one Compaq Quad Xeon 500MHz 4G RAM Dual SmartArray 3200 RAID and one IBM DualCore Xeon 3.2GHz 2G RAM IBM ServerRAID to test on.

So far I have not been able to successfully run any of them, but I must admit it was quite a while since I ran the last test.
TOTMS

Re: SMP ISO please

Post by TOTMS »

Jaix wrote:Well, I would like to suggest a SMP ISO in the svn.

I have three SMP machines, one relic Dual P166MHz, one Compaq Quad Xeon 500MHz 4G RAM Dual SmartArray 3200 RAID and one IBM DualCore Xeon 3.2GHz 2G RAM IBM ServerRAID to test on.

So far I have not been able to successfully run any of them, but I must admit it was quite a while since I ran the last test.
A qual Xeon 500MHz 4Gb Ram .... wow, that must have been one sought after machine when it was new :D I didnt realise you could even get quad x86 processor systems so long ago :p
WaxDragon
Developer

Post by WaxDragon »

SMP is a configuration, not a branch, that's why there are no SMP isos in http://svn.reactos.com/iso/

Casper is working on CIS, and with enough build boxes, we may be able to provide builds for the various configurations.

I'm working on writing a wiki page on how to create a SMP build. It's not as easy as it should be.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

WaxDragon wrote:Casper is working on CIS, and with enough build boxes, we may be able to provide builds for the various configurations.
What do we need in means of buildboxes?
WaxDragon wrote: I'm working on writing a wiki page on how to create a SMP build. It's not as easy as it should be.
That's a good reason to include a SMP version in the SVN.ReactOS.com/ISO.