0.4.0 goals

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

digiboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

0.4.0 goals

Post by digiboy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:21 am

How does everyone feel about the goals in 0.4.0?

IMHO I think that some of them could wait later, and focus on more important features.

DHCP Server -> Easily use 3rd party for now
Remote Desktop -> 3rd party (VNC)
Telnet Server -> 3rd party (cygwin/ssh)

I think cloning core features would be more important such as SMB, NTFS, WDM. Then we could dual boot on real hardware and get things rolling.

Any opinions?

Floyd
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:45 am
Location: The frozen part of the USA

Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 am

i'd really rather not marry cygwin to reactos. it just seems messy to me.
:-/
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

oiaohm
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:40 am

Post by oiaohm » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:17 am

We always have http://www.kpym.com/ for ssh. At least that is something not requiring cygwin to work.

Jaix
Moderator Team
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sweden, Växjö

Re: 0.4.0 goals

Post by Jaix » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:27 pm

digiboy wrote:How does everyone feel about the goals in 0.4.0?

IMHO I think that some of them could wait later, and focus on more important features.

DHCP Server -> Easily use 3rd party for now
Remote Desktop -> 3rd party (VNC)
Telnet Server -> 3rd party (cygwin/ssh)

I think cloning core features would be more important such as SMB, NTFS, WDM. Then we could dual boot on real hardware and get things rolling.

Any opinions?
DHCP server will be included in the future.
VNC -Client is already working, just install UltraVNC, server will work in time, we need people who wants to debug and return info to the devs. We have a RDP-client on it's way, (probably one or two monts away).
Telnet-server will also be included in the furure.

All these are important stuff and will come and probably sooner then later.

How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.

frik85
Developer
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Austria, Europe
Contact:

Re: 0.4.0 goals

Post by frik85 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm

Jaix wrote:How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
Samba-TNG client, clipboard, gina logon and directx (draw and later d3d) are work in progress and will come in near future too.

Matthias
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am

Post by Matthias » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:18 pm

I'd like better compatibility with Qemu. tcpip.sys keeps crashing after a very short time when running in qemu, but i don't know if this is a bug in the tcp/ip stack or in the LAN driver. I don't think it's a problem with qemu, because debian sid runs fine in Qemu for hours.
Surprisingly, i can't get ReactOS to work in VMware on Linux. The installation works fine but it it'll crash with a bluescreen when trying to run it. It works with VMware on Windows though, and it's surprisingly stable :o)

digiboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

Re: 0.4.0 goals

Post by digiboy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 am

Jaix wrote: DHCP server will be included in the future.
VNC -Client is already working, just install UltraVNC, server will work in time, we need people who wants to debug and return info to the devs. We have a RDP-client on it's way, (probably one or two monts away).
Telnet-server will also be included in the furure.

All these are important stuff and will come and probably sooner then later.

How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
That all sounds good to me :D

Just wanted to make sure priorities are where the majority would like them.

But then again, with many developers working I guess it really doesn't matter. Just plug stuff into the main trunk once it's working.

Jaix
Moderator Team
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sweden, Växjö

Re: 0.4.0 goals

Post by Jaix » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:07 pm

frik85 wrote:
Jaix wrote:How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
Samba-TNG client, clipboard, gina logon and directx (draw and later d3d) are work in progress and will come in near future too.
Yes, isn't that nice!

Jaix
Moderator Team
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sweden, Växjö

Re: 0.4.0 goals

Post by Jaix » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:09 pm

digiboy wrote:That all sounds good to me :D

Just wanted to make sure priorities are where the majority would like them.

But then again, with many developers working I guess it really doesn't matter. Just plug stuff into the main trunk once it's working.
Exactly, I wasn't opposed to you, just informing you about that those stuff will probably come before 0.4 (unless 0.4 is coming really soon).

samwise52
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:14 pm

Post by samwise52 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:09 pm

IMO the big thing about 0.4 is MSVC building :D
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4

Ferret-Simpson
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:38 pm

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:01 pm

NTFS isn't even supported on the *NIX's yet. I'm looking forward to Clipboard, Security, and Samba. Oh, and stability etc etc.

Matthias
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am

Post by Matthias » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Ferret-Simpson wrote:NTFS isn't even supported on the *NIX's yet.
NTFS _is_ supported on Linux. Advanced features like rights management, compression, encryption etc. don't work, but the basics (e. g. reading, writing, creating and deleting files) do with the ntfs-3g driver. However i don't think it's necessary for ReactOS. If one really needs NTFS, he can use the driver from Windows.

Andre
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Post by Andre » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:38 am

NTFS read/write support is in the roadmap for version 0.5
So I guess we shouldn't worry about that right now.
Then, while devolping 0.4.0 the ntfs-3g can be also
further developed, and to be ported after the 0.4.0
release.

Coviti
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:26 am

Post by Coviti » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:59 am

Andre wrote:NTFS read/write support is in the roadmap for version 0.5
So I guess we shouldn't worry about that right now.
Then, while devolping 0.4.0 the ntfs-3g can be also
further developed, and to be ported after the 0.4.0
release.
Who said anything about ReactOS using NTFS-3G? If anything, (imo) ReactOS NTFS support should be based on Linux-NTFS (No messy FUSE crap).

Andre
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Post by Andre » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:21 am

It is at the moment the most complete open sourse implementation of the NTFS filesystem.
One of the goals of 0.5 is full NTFS read/write support. This is providing that, so wouldn't it be logical to use this, in stead of an other incomplete solution.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 1 guest