Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cuppm

Owl Mascot suggestion

Post by cuppm »

How about an owl? They aren't naturally repulsive like arachnids. They can be drawn in either a professional manner or a "cutesy" style.

They eat butterflies...
Elledan

Re: Owl Mascot suggestion

Post by Elledan »

cuppm wrote:How about an owl? They aren't naturally repulsive like arachnids. They can be drawn in either a professional manner or a "cutesy" style.

They eat butterflies...
I resent that comment. Arachnids are cute in their own way ;)

Also, a mascot must embody at least some part of a project. Most of the mascots proposed so far are far too generic, and therefore unsuitable.
comeon

Post by comeon »

Since its a clone of NT, how about a sheep as the mascot? I'm picturing the one in the wooly jumper from Wallace and Gromit. I'd google it but I'm lazy.

Or failing that some kind of amoeba

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=wal ... gle+Search
edited to say the sheep was caused shaun
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

I was thinking some sort of caterpillar possibly..? Since MS has the butterfly and ROS is still in early development. Kinda signifying A new beginning in MS compatibility. A chance for windows to be reborn the way it should have been from the start.
cuppm

Re: Owl Mascot suggestion

Post by cuppm »

Elledan wrote:Also, a mascot must embody at least some part of a project. Most of the mascots proposed so far are far too generic, and therefore unsuitable.
Well to say it must embody parts of the project doesn't really count anything out. People can tie anything to anything. Especially with animals.

BTW, I kinda like the sheep thing. DOW the Sheep (Dolly Of Windows)
comeon

Post by comeon »

heh, I'm assuming this is the thread for people who can't contribute code or cash. Oh and I vote a pink fluffy bunny
cuppm

Post by cuppm »

comeon wrote:heh, I'm assuming this is the thread for people who can't contribute code or cash.
That is correct, sir! (well at least for me...)
Link Application Uni

Post by Link Application Uni »

O.K everyone here have great idea for Reactos mascot and that is great!
Tiger, sheeps, Dragons, fluffy bunny, etc... Anti-Windows is not a problem. Think of this way 10 years in future. Reactos is going to get suprise attack by TUX behind or Windows.

I came up Link Application Unix (LaUnix) a year ago. I'm guy who actually believe Developers should get NBA salary. All employees will get free food, soda, movie theater HQ, Basketball court in HQ, etc.

Dawin lost over Orca Mascot. Dawin uses Linux Clone. Yes, Tux do stare shore for long time. You are not expert Network Admin. Seals are window conquest. hehehe. You can eat both.

One problem Killer Whale can't step on land. Seals & Tux can.
[ external image ]

Dawin lost over Orca.

Jimmy Lau
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

i think isit a good thing when we use a flying insect that will be a great parody to the only animal that microsoft have (the msn butterfly)
Mr Van Dildrass

My favourite

Post by Mr Van Dildrass »

I quick list throw this topic and the best mascot for me is dragonfly from last page (only my opinion).
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

Whatever The Animals Gonna Be, It Should Have A Lan Cable As A Tail ^_^
Newbie Reactos

Post by Newbie Reactos »

If you people like insect. Let it be Cockroach for Reactos!!
React now!!!!

[ external image ]
forart

FROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG !

Post by forart »

i think isit a good thing when we use a flying insect that will be a great parody to the only animal that microsoft have (the msn butterfly)
Yes, the frog can fit this need too: [ external image ]

This animal can be associated with multiple meanings:
1. Disenchantment of OS by being kissed by Open Source community (there's a "prince" in a windows-compatible os, just kiss it) :)
2. Frogs are amphibians, that means adaptability (ReactOS can be ported to other platforms too) 8)
3. Frogs born as a "tadpole" and become a frog through a metamorphosis (Wine -> ReactOS)
4. Multicolor (there are mutch different types of frogs here)
5. Anti-MS (frogs eats butterflies too) :D
6. You can build your own "working" mascot (origami Superfrog)

Last but not least, there's MUTCH material on the net !!! [ external image ]

[ external image ]

Learn more about frogs

Check out this page

Anyway i think we need someone like Joecartoon as designer, he's awesome ! Frog Bender

edit: Frogs can be cute too !!!

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

[ external image ] [ external image ]
Last edited by forart on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Elledan

Re: FROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG !

Post by Elledan »

patchworks wrote: Yes, the frog can fit this need too: [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/an_frog1.gif[img]

This animal can be associated with multiple meanings:
1. Disenchantment of OS by being kissed by user (there's a "prince" in a windows-compatible os, just kiss it) :)
2. Frogs are amphibians, that means adaptability (ReactOS can be ported to other platforms too) 8)
3. Multicolor (there are mutch different types of frogs)
4. Anti-MS (frogs eats butterflies, too) :D
I could live with a frog as a mascot, but could we please stay away from cutesy portrayals of them? Frogs, despite popular belief (among parents), are not cute in any sense.

Penguins are cute (when they're not biting), devils are cute (when they're not torturing people), blowfish are cute (because they look silly), butterflies are cute (because they're pretty and somewhat silly), but frogs simply aren't.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

A squirrel is a cute, furry animal, which is quick to react, and has the balls to fight MS ;). And it also fits the line of free OS mascots.