Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Harteex

Post by Harteex »

so then we're back at dragonfly? ;)

[ external image ]
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

I like that design, Harteex! :)

A dragonfly has many advantages as a mascot:

- it's recognized by virtually everyone
- it's relatively easy to draw
- it can be made to look cute
- it can be made to look professional
- etc.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

But just to clarify, the only thing I did was to take some random image on google image search and paint the wings in different colors.. just as an example.
glandaler

Post by glandaler »

Unfortunately there's already an OS project that uses a dragonfly as a mascot:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Here's my addition to the graphic meyhem:
[ external image ]
=)
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

glandaler wrote:Unfortunately there's already an OS project that uses a dragonfly as a mascot:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org
It's not trademarked, is it?

Besides, a dragonfly as mascot would be so appropriate for ROS (re MSFT's butterfly), that it would be a real shame not to use it.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Sure, let's go piss off another open source OS. I mean, any publicity is good publicity, right?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

counting_pine wrote:Sure, let's go piss off another open source OS. I mean, any publicity is good publicity, right?
I'm suggesting no such thing. At the very least we should ask the DragonFlyBSD people their opinion on this issue.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I can tell, your heart is set on the dragonfly. It was the picture, wasn't it?
It's a nice idea, yes, but I don't expect DragonFly BSD to be happy about giving up their logo.

Maybe it would be best to look for something else.

I don't think moths are taken yet.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

I think most animals have been thought of by other projects/companies. An atom is IMO something completely new and different. Also, an atom can be made "Professional", just remove the appendages, eyes, etc. It'll look kindof like the "?" in XP Setup.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I think that Reacty is a good mascot.

I took a look at the old mascot thread: http://reactos.com/en/reactos_user_site/forums/mascott
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a total stranger here, but agree you should get a logo chosen before Linux grabs all the cute little animals... having said that, cute little animal logos might make ReactOS a bit 'uncool' from the point of view of serious applications (I'm sure Tux puts governments / large companies off Linux sometimes).
Anonymous User wrote:I suggest something to go along with the word 'React' like a Jackrabbit or something... Maybe a Gecko, they're fast little guys...
Taking both of those comments into account, an animal with fast reflexes (reaction speed) that isnt so cutesy would probably be suitable. I am thinking along the lines of a mongoose or a cobra/viper. The jackrabbit idea also struck me as a good one.
Maybe a cheetah in stride would look good too. They are pretty quick off the blocks so to speak.

PS I definitely think you should leave the dragonfly, as dragonflyBSD already uses it.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Taking both of those comments into account, an animal with fast reflexes (reaction speed) that isnt so cutesy would probably be suitable. I am thinking along the lines of a mongoose or a cobra/viper. The jackrabbit idea also struck me as a good one.
Maybe a cheetah in stride would look good too. They are pretty quick off the blocks so to speak.
I don't know about you, but dragonflies don't seem so cutesy and cuddly to me. Dragonflies are professional. Having said that, I think the best option is to leave it, (with a very heavy heart) because it's already taken *sigh* :(

I have a feeling this thread is going to go on forever, with people coming up with a new mascot, and then somebody googling it and realizing it already exists, etc...

The atom isn't so bad. If only we could make it more windozy...
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
Quigs

Something new....

Post by Quigs »

How bout a squirrel, or an ant(s). That way you could have an ant running around an atom.. Or if you get small enough then the ant could be said to operate in different dimensions (string theory stuff). I dont think anybody does either squirrels or ants, so why not? They are both everywhere and never gonna go away.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

Ant is a Java build-tool which has as mascot an ant. But squirrel sounds quite good to me.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Another suggestion: Arachnids, such as spiders and scorpions.

[edit]: here's an interesting page on choosing a mascot: http://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php/Wikipedia_mascot