Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elledan

Post by Elledan »

mf wrote:To make sure everyone agrees, you can simply hold several rounds of brainstorms.

Round 1: Open forum discussion
Most popular ideas go on to ->
Round 2: Developer mailing list
Most popular ideas go on to ->
Round 3: Official ReactOS team
A winner is elected ->
Official ReactOS mascot.

Yay for democracy.
Round 4: Profit!!

Erm, yes I agree that this would be the proper approach :)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Well, what is so horribly wrong with the atom logo currently in use?

[ external image ]

It is comparable to the Windows "flying window" logo, makes a great icon, very professional looking, fairly unique, somewhat relates to the name REACTos, and if you stick arms and legs on to it you get a silly office assistant/agent. :D

If you think about it, Microsoft doesn't have any "mascot" unless you count Rover Retriever (The XP search assistant, originally from MS BOB).

I strongly believe that Windows users are becoming more and more dissatisfied with the unprofessional appearance of Windows XP. Therefore I think ReactOS can pull users away from Windows by remaining professional in appearance and presentation. This includes how it markets itself with logos and mascots.

Besides, Reacty could kick Rovers behind any day.
Newbie Reactos

Post by Newbie Reactos »

I ask my friend have you download reactos?
He said "WHAT ?!?! YOU MEAN RECTUM OPERATING SYSTEM?" I laugh soo hard.

Anyways, Reactos logo looks like nuclear atom to be use on computer. :?
This pretty strange way expressing people's thoughts... You would react as Nuclear meltdown.

Second thought Would Microsoft sue Reactos for copyright fragment as legally using Microsoft standards?

Yes, they would... Reactos is more like Lindows. Most of code have been strip through Microsoft. All we need is simple mAscot!!! Not a logo.
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

ReactOS doesnt use MS proprietary code in any way to my knowledge. In fact, the ROS devs are very picky about that.

What ROS *DOES* copy, is the presentation of application interfaces. These MUST be copied, in order for application interoperability. The actuall innards underneath those interfaces are totally home-brewed.

I am in agreement with the idea that we dont really need a mascot. We allready have a scapegoat (ArchBlackmann), and a logo. No need for a mascot.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

Second thought Would Microsoft sue Reactos for copyright fragment as legally using Microsoft standards?

Yes, they would... Reactos is more like Lindows. Most of code have been strip through Microsoft. All we need is simple mAscot!!! Not a logo.
erm.... could you please tell me how that is possible? As far as I know, not a single byte of Windows is open source, so how in the world could we 'strip through Microsoft'?

Also, how could microsoft 'sue' ReactOS? We are not a company or organization; there's nobody to sue. There's no target. Has Microsoft sued linux? No, it has only sued Lindows, which is a seperate organization.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
ConMan

Post by ConMan »

I find that I must agree with SomeGuy. The atom really is nice and is very professional looking which will help in promoting ROS in the future
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

Nothing is wrong with the logo. But in addition to that a mascot would be nice. KDE or Gnome for example have also a logo and a mascot.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

ma-games.de wrote:Nothing is wrong with the logo. But in addition to that a mascot would be nice. KDE or Gnome for example have also a logo and a mascot.
I must say that I find myself in agreement with SomeGuy.

As a compromise, couldn't we say that we'll stick with the atom logo for now, and if the need arises, we* decide on a mascot and keep both? We'll have plenty to time to think up new, exciting mascots that way.

* the Powers That Be, of course ;)
welly

Post by welly »

my thoughts are that I don't think that the subject of a mascot is that important in this stage of the development of reactOS, certainly not enough to justify 8 pages of discussion :) The atom logo is really nice, but possibly need simplifying? If you look at the best/most recognisable logos and brands (nike logo, VW logo, coca-cola etc. etc.) they tend to be very simple, very few colours and I can't help thinking the reactOS logo possibly needs to be simpler. But hey, good job whoever did it all the same.

Got reactOS working and loaded through QEMU. Nice job guys! Good work. I'm going to test it out with a number of popular applications and try and start making a huge compatibility list. The application compatibility list on the reactOS homepage, is this the only one at the moment or has anyone else worked on one?

Cheers,

Welly
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

welly wrote:my thoughts are that I don't think that the subject of a mascot is that important in this stage of the development of reactOS, certainly not enough to justify 8 pages of discussion :)
I think it's a quite good discussion. We are getting closer to the goal of a reactos mascot by discussing which animals fit and which doesn't and which are already in use by other projects. Some animals are mentioned all the time and maybe some graphic designers will made the first tries some day.
welly wrote: I'm going to test it out with a number of popular applications and try and start making a huge compatibility list. The application compatibility list on the reactOS homepage, is this the only one at the moment or has anyone else worked on one?
Yes, there is a site where you can add your tests: http://www.reactos.net.tc/
welly

Post by welly »

Cool, have checked the reactos.net.tc site, and I'll add my own list of compatible software as and when. Nice site, whoever came up with it. Good work.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

That's frik85s doing.

http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... ts&mdnr=84

And that's mine ;)

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.