NTFS. No really.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:02 am

Your argument holds true only if Windows interacts with the NTFS partition that ReactOS would also write to, such as the dual boot you suggested. However, dual booting ReactOS and Windows 2000 or XP for a lot of us would be defeating the purpose of installing ReactOS in the first place.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:57 am

The problem is for the first years of Reactos dual booting with windows should be expected. Other problem is even if Reactos is not dual booting a Windows PE disk might be used on the filesystem.

Its safer to keep NTFS disks read only on mixed systems. If going write there will need to be controls.

On mixed ext2 I see as the filesystem of use at first. Because Windows does not have default drivers for it that mess with it.

On fully secured domains removable ntfs disks don't work so for the operation of Reactos no NTFS is required. Then reactos is no worse than a secured domain.

DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:52 pm

cant wait for full NTFS support

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:11 pm

DGMurdockIII wrote:cant wait for full NTFS support
It's planned for ReactOS 0.7 (beta).

http://www.reactos.org/?page=about_roadmap

PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:47 am

IMHO, is better to implement ReiserFS 4. It's the best FS on the place, now.

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:25 am

IMHO, I want to be able to read and write to my other drives.

noccy

Post by noccy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:06 am

Hope this doesn't qualify as gravedigging ;)

NTFS is not just any filesystem. You (MadWolf) are comparing it to FAT32 here, which I find just totally wrong.

Directory security with NTFS is dependant on the filesystem rather than the system itself. FAT32 can easily be read if you just stuff the drive into another computer or boot from a live CD. With NTFS encryption, this is not possible. Also, permissions and related stuff is stored in the filesystem.

Imo that's a huge advantage. I would feel much safer with native NTFS support as compared to having to use 3rd party encryption software with FAT32. That is, of coarse, if the encryption is implemented.

To quote wikipedia regarding the NTFS encryption (EFS):
EFS provides strong and user-transparent encryption of any file or folder on an NTFS volume. EFS works in conjunction with the EFS service, Microsoft's CryptoAPI and the EFS File System Run-Time Library (FSRTL). As of February 2004, its encryption has not been compromised.
EFS works by encrypting a file with a bulk symmetric key (also known as the File Encryption Key, or FEK), which is used because it takes a relatively smaller amount of time to encrypt and decrypt large amounts of data than if an asymmetric key cipher is used. The symmetric key that is used to encrypt the file is then encrypted with a public key that is associated with the user who encrypted the file, and this encrypted data is stored in an alternate data stream of the encrypted file. To decrypt the file, the file system uses the private key of the user to decrypt the symmetric key that is stored in the file header. It then uses the symmetric key to decrypt the file. Because this is done at the file system level, it is transparent to the user. [13] Also, in case of a user losing access to their key, support for recovery agents that can unencrypt files has been built in to the EFS system.
Besides this, the features of NTFS also include:
  • Alternate data streams (ADS)
  • Quotas
  • Sparse files
  • Reparse points
  • Volume mount points
  • Directory Junctions
  • Hard links
  • Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM)
  • Native Structured Storage (NSS)
  • Volume Shadow Copy
  • File compression
  • Single Instance Storage (SIS)
  • Encrypting File System (EFS)
So MadWolf, why are you ranting that the only filesystem you will ever need is FAT32? Imo NTFS is vastly superior to FAT32 both regarding speed and safety/security. And fragmentation is an issue with just about every filesystem, I can't say that NTFS fragments faster than FAT32 does...

NTFS support is a major must have :) Can't wait for it to get implemented.

And remember... Big brother is watching you :lol:

forart

Post by forart » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:45 am

noccy wrote:NTFS is not just any filesystem. You (MadWolf) are comparing it to FAT32 here, which I find just totally wrong.
For a comprehensive filesystem comparison, check out this Wikipedia page.

According to this 3ad pool, ROS will be used mainly for Multimedia/Gamming.

Again, my suggestion is OpenBFS from Haiku.

Here's an interesting 3ad about windows port, and the relative website (just mailed the author to join ROS). 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm

bosse ifs header is more out of date that what is in ros.

noccy

Post by noccy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:10 pm

forart wrote:According to this 3ad pool, ROS will be used mainly for Multimedia/Gamming.
Hm you must have totally missed the release of Windows Vista -- or as most people prefer to call it, the last nail in the coffin for Microsoft. The thing is that when Windows XP loses support, updates, etc. people will have two choices: Upgrade to Vista (and get locked up in an awful resource-hogging instable drm-trap with full-fledged tcpa/palladium support (not yet but soon)), or turn to Linux (i.e. walk away from Windows and never turn back).

ReactOS offers a third option. It will allow us, who love the Windows platform but not the way it has developed, to stick to our platform of choice.

Therefore, NTFS should be implemented and together with FAT supply the two base file systems for ReactOS system. I am not saying that other file systems should not be made available, but NTFS -- being both secure and efficient -- is absolutely needed, and imo no poll stating "I will only use ReactOS for Gaming" should be allowed to change that. Especially since only 49% of 154 people voted for that which makes the results a bit less reliable. [edit: Also feel free to actually *read* that post you linked containing the poll, where people actually state that they want to do more than just play games ;)]

If ReactOS is gonna be able to replace XP (or perhaps even Vista) on home- and office computers, security can not be disregarded, and being able to access NTFS partitions is also of the utmost importance.

My $0.02 :)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:41 pm

NTFS is on the roadmap. It'll get here, eventually.

noccy

Post by noccy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Z98 wrote:NTFS is on the roadmap. It'll get here, eventually.
Aye, noticed that. Just trying to counter the arguments from the anti-NTFS dudes that are trying to chop its head off and plug something else in its place :)

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:33 am

3g is now 1.0 and it supports "Most POSIX file system operations are supported, with the exception of full file ownership and access right support."

So we have read/write, ROS is not ready for ACL aat the moment afaik so someone that can low level program could start some portings...

Radhad

Post by Radhad » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:13 am

But 3g#s driver is in usermode and we need kernelmode, so it is not usable for ReactOS.

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:41 am

the fact that it's unix driver makes it unusable :)

but hmm... haven't it been ported to Haiku?
it was just dreaming, i know that we have no 0.3.1 already, just were talking about ntfs.