NTFS-3G: Read-Write Open Source Linux NTFS FUSE Driver

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oiaohm

Re: NTFS-3G: Read-Write Open Source Linux NTFS FUSE Driver

Post by oiaohm » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Sand almost all Fuse file systems like ZFS in fuse are Posix and Unix device struct interface related. So are nothing more than paper weights under Windows versions of fuse even if the fuse api works perfectly.

I guess you want to know why the posix fuse filesystems that work cross platform on Linux BSD Mac... Don't work on windows. All those platforms are modern posix platforms with even related ways of interfacing with devices. Device names not the same but the functions you use to interface with a block device are exactly the same threw the file system layour. Here is the major problem windows uses a completely different way of interfacing with devices fuse did not have to worry about this problem since it was designed for posix OS's. Before you foolishly point to services for Unix little word of warning that is 1991 standard posix current Posix OS's are running on 2003 or latter version. Yes its 12 years out of date and is more than enough to cause stuff to fail badly.

Even so if you managed to wrap from posix device interfaces to windows device interfaces and back this will be a high speed hit. Simply put fuse does not provide a usable short cut. There is no magic short cut threw fuse.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:25 pm

It's an old topic, but it seems that some people are trying to adapt FUSE 4 Win32, but there seems to be no much of activity and the forum must be in Russian mostly.

Sand

Post by Sand » Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 pm

It's not in Russian, it's spammed by question marks. (possibly incorrct encoding in spambot?)

Sand

Post by Sand » Tue May 19, 2009 6:36 pm

And according the TODO it works well except some minor issues such as symlink handling and permissions mapping.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Tue May 19, 2009 8:15 pm

No binaries... If anyone could give it a shot, nice. Alas, i wonder what requirements there are. As you can see, XP is a must.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm

This is also FUSE. Anything that goes through it by definition is not an IFS driver written for NT, which is what we require.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 am

I still don't get it why all ppl want FUSE so much, but if they want it, how about a IFS driver which uses FUSE drivers? I did not get this code to build so I dont know what exactly it looks like in built state...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

EmuandCo wrote:I still don't get it why all ppl want FUSE so much,
I think the goal is to write one driver per FS and then be able to use it in all OSes supporting FUSE. At least that's the impression I got from Wikipedia/FUSE site.
EmuandCo wrote:but if they want it, how about a IFS driver which uses FUSE drivers?
It seems that FUSE4Win32 and may be Dokan are just about that.