The computer music community reaching out to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sweetjesus

The computer music community reaching out to ReactOS

Post by sweetjesus »

Hello,

This first part of this intro is going to sound like Spam, but I feel it is important for you guys to have background on where I'm coming from and how ReactOS would be of huge benefit to many users from the electronic (but not limited to in terms of genre) music community.

I'm a user of several music composition applications, mainly Ableton Live http://www.ableton.com.

The software has a very healthy community of users, one of them being myself a music producer and all round nerd and lover of things tech.

Live is a powerful program which many musicians use for their live performances. It is one of the few programs which really cater for the diverse range of things that people would do in a live situation. It is available for both OS X and Windows.

Despite the success of Live and the number of high profile users it has, Ableton as a company have done very well to keep close to their community and be open about them where possible.

Being a stage tool, Live requires utmost stability. System performance is also crucial for everybody who uses this program.

I wrote a little utility which replaced the windows shell with Live and that helped a few users out with some quirks, but what Live needs is a very customised environment.

I'd like your help in trying to evaluate whether or not ReactOS is a viable option to run Live on.

First step would be to see if Live runs on your environment, i'm downloding the ISO in a moment.

If that is not successful then I would need help to evaluate just how much work needs to go into making it run.

If it is successful then we would need to see how reliable the system is and of course in the longterm, we need to ensure a broad range of system drivers work for the type of hardware performers use on stage.

So please let me know if anyone has experiences in using ReactOS and high end applications, and please it would be a great help if you also dropped your name so we have people we can turn to when we try to get this running.

Regards,
SJ
forart

Post by forart »

Well, i'm an audio user too.

I mailed Phonic to ask them the support for this (and Haiku too, that is more multimedia oriented) OS and the open source community (seems that Ardour will be ported to win32, thanks to SoC 2006...).

Please ask your software makers (Adobe, Cakewalk, Steinberg and so on) to support ReactOS !

Spread the voice !!! 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Please read the following page, how to install a third party sound driver:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... ound_cards

btw. if you have the driver on a CD, you will be able to insert it and it may install on-the-fly after installing ReactOS.

Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.0 RC1 is still in alpha stage and is not recommended for everyday use.

As as ReactOs is matured and stable enough (beta phase) you will be able to use it for everyday use, and even exotic applications and drivers (except some apps which requiere some unknown internal behaviours) will work.

ReactOS needs a lot more developers and constributers.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus »

Hi Frik, Thanks very much for the info. I will be sure to read up before asking any silly questions.

However, I am stuck on the most basic of basics. I have burned the ISO to a cd and booted up ReactOS.

My USB mouse won't work and it also doesn't work with a USB > PS2 converter (im aassuming maybe due to the optical nature of the mouse).

I tried using the keyboard, but the file explorer most certainly and unfortunatly not very keyboard friendly.

I was thinking about getting a proper ps2 mouse, but any other suggestions?

Regards,
SJ
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus »

Patchworks wrote:Well, i'm an audio user too.

I mailed Phonic to ask them the support for this (and Haiku too, that is more multimedia oriented) OS and the open source community (seems that Ardour will be ported to win32, thanks to SoC 2006...).

Please ask your software makers (Adobe, Cakewalk, Steinberg and so on) to support ReactOS !

Spread the voice !!! 8)
I have good direct communication with a few people at Ableton, so whatever progress we make will only motivate them more.

I'm sure if they have success others will jump on the bandwagon so there is definately a longterm benefit for the ReactOS community in my eyes.

Thanks so much for shouting out.
dcuny

Post by dcuny »

I'll echo this - the reason that there's still a Windows partition on my machine is because of games, tax software, and music software. Music software seems to be one point where Wine isn't cutting it.

There's a lot of excellent muisc software available for Linux, but in terms of ease of use and features, Linux music software just isn't there yet. And yes, I've used Muse and Ardour.

People running music software want their machines to be as rock solid as possible. On the plus side, ReactOS will give a lot more control over how much bloat there is, and let people optimize the system for music production. Will it (once it gets out of alpha) be stable enough for people to trust their work to? Time will tell.

If ReactOS is stable enough, it might have enough attraction for people to use for creating a custom music workstation. Given enough user demand, vendors could make test information available to the ReactOS team, allowing better support for music software - assuming they wanted to go that route.

Obviously, this is at best some distance off, but it seems to me that this is a niche where ReactOS could excel, not because it's the cheapest option, but because it's the best option.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Actually, the reason your USB mouse doesn't work has nothing to do with it being optical. ReactOS 0.4 is going to be the "USB Release" according to the ReactOS roadmap, and many people have had problems getting USB devices to work. This is because USB is not fully implemented yet.

I would recommend that you wait a while before considering ReactOS for something this major - In our latest SVN revisions, a session longer than 5 minutes is a rare occurence, not to mention that the Install CD crashes at the moment. It's unstable, and will be that way for, I'd say at least several months while ntoskrnl is undergoing a serious overhaul. Even after this, our compatibility rate is low and it's hard to find applications that work properly on ReactOS at this time.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Yes ReactOS is in a stage of development and sometimes unstable .....
As the main page says "Not for daily use...."
And welcome !!
ks

Post by ks »

for me the best will be ReactOS and REAPER

http://reaper.fm

it runs on linux with wine

anyway, i wish you all good luck, reactos is great thing!
crowmag

Post by crowmag »

What can I add that others have not already voiced except that I too look forward to the day that ROS becomes a a small yet stable platform for Windows multimedia production. The idea of using ROS for this purpose is what peaked my interest in the OS in the first place and, as I can see from the comments above, I am not alone in my intuition about what possibilities this OS could open up for this particular use.

My interest in computers began in 1986 with a C-64 and Dr. T's Music software and it has always been frustrating that as computer hardware and music production software evolved that the OS with the most attractive audio software alternatives (Windows) would constantly eat up more and more of the available hardware resources as it evolved - negating much of advances right from the get-go.

ROS looks very appealing for this use and I hope that within a year or two that it will become stable enough to attract professional attention in this area. Once that happens, 3rd party contributers to the code base should increase considerably.
ks

Post by ks »

and when this happens, i will personal find you and we will get DRUNK! :)
Hunkadoodledoo

Post by Hunkadoodledoo »

Patchworks wrote:Please ask your software makers (Adobe, Cakewalk, Steinberg and so on) to support ReactOS !
Well, I am all for third party software ROS support, but pardon my ignorance in that I thought ROS is aiming for 100% compatibility with Windows software (i.e. no porting from Win to ROS). Am I wrong?
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Hunkadoodledoo, welcome to ReactOS.

You are correct, ReactOS will be 100% Windows Compatible. I'm not sure exactly what Patchworks meant. My guess would be that he would like to see ReactOS listed in the compatible Operating Systems lists included with their software. That way, people would read it and think "What in the world is ReactOS?", then they would Google it, find us, and possibly become a new user. :)
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hunkadoodledoo wrote:
Patchworks wrote:Please ask your software makers (Adobe, Cakewalk, Steinberg and so on) to support ReactOS !
Well, I am all for third party software ROS support, but pardon my ignorance in that I thought ROS is aiming for 100% compatibility with Windows software (i.e. no porting from Win to ROS). Am I wrong?
Welcome Hunkadoodledoo !!
Yes ReactOS will be in the future (once it gets further in the development with time) compatible with Windows software... Please read the about page and the ReactOS wiki for more details. ...
And nothing that is meant for Windows will need to be ported to ROS.
Hunkadoodledoo

Post by Hunkadoodledoo »

Oh. I suppose that makes sense. It would be nice to see the ROS symbol next to the Windows and OSX logos. So, how exactly do we go about getting software companies to put it on their products?