On Virtual PC

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wonder cow

On Virtual PC

Post by wonder cow »

First Hi to all. :D

I'm running XP and lately I've been on an OS kick and have installed a couple of linux distros, freeBSD, freedos, and seems like a few others on Virtual PC.

ReactOS 0.3.0 installs and boots on virtual PC and has some functionality, but I have yet to have success at installing any apps.

I see from screenshots on this site that there are many apps working on React.

Maybe the VMware player will work better?

Anyway, I think this is a noble cause and best of luck.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Welcome to the ReactOS forums....
Please describe the problems ur having in a bit more detail....
R U facing some kind of errors?
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

GreyGhost wrote:Welcome to the ReactOS forums....
Please describe the problems ur having in a bit more detail....
R U facing some kind of errors?
A couple of times the installation froze with the game Chicken hunter.

The installer started and progress bar moved for a bit, but then it froze and the mouse started moving erratically.

I also tried to install my own little screen capture app and the installation started then gave me an error message that it was unable to install a certain library file (I forget which one), I clicked ignore and it went on, but the installation failed without an error message. Which is probably my fault anyway and I could probably just copy the executable to the disk and it would work, but I haven't tried it yet.

I also tried to install the virtual PC extensions, which I figured was a long shot and the installer tried, but then an error said it had been stopped and was unable to install the extensions.

My newbie guess is that a lot of this is virtual pc and not ReactOS.

Has anyone else had luck with ReactOS on virtual PC? I think I read somewhere that an earlier version of React would not work install on virtual PC.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Actually I am suprised that it runs at all on Virtual PC.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

Dr. Fred wrote:Actually I am suprised that it runs at all on Virtual PC.
I'll download the VMware player later today and see if that works.
"I'll rob him of his gold and give it to some poor unworthy slob." - Daffy as Robin Hood
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

Humpht... :(

Had issues with the VMware player. It is suppose to translate virtual PC virtual drives into vmware virtual drives, but only worked with the XP virtual drive. A quick google shows others have the same problem.

So long story short, I was unable to test ROS on vmware.

And again for emphasis, humpht...

[edit]
What a noob I am. There was a VMware image download in the download section, of all places... :oops:
[/edit]
"I'll rob him of his gold and give it to some poor unworthy slob." - Daffy as Robin Hood
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

The vmWare player was a pain.. so I went back to Virtual PC to play around with ROS some.

Everything already installed seems to work. CD ROM works also.

I did notice on the explorer windows that the browse arrows didn't work and that sometimes when the window tries to redraw itself, it blanks and/or goes blank.

I tried some more installations just for giggles and grins, from stuff I had laying around. And I realize this is version .3 and you guys have more work ahead of you than behind you.

But here is the results of my install attempts on Virtual PC 2004:

Open Office 2.0 installation gets to a point where it decides the installer is not up to date then exists without an error message.

Acrobat reader (older version 6) installed, but when I tried to run it, it said this:

[ external image ]

Textpad version 4 something, installed with no problem. But when I tried to run it, it blinked for a moment and then just went away. I paused the virtual machine so that I could take this screen shot.

Image of textpad 4 trying to run

The thunderbird email client installed and ran fine. Of course there is no Internet connection, so I couldn't test anything else on it.
Image of thunderbird email client

firefox 1.5 installed, but then the first time I ran it I got this error.
Image of firefox error

but then after that It ran.
Image of firefox on VPC

During the install of Visual C++ 6.0, i got this guy.
BSOD error image after VC++ 6 install

Chess Master 7000 installation started and was well into the installation, and maybe complete, because I walked away and did something else, when I got his BSOD. However, I think now that this version of Chess Master is not compatible with XP anyway, so...
BSOD error after install of chess master 7000

I hope this post is helpful in some way, barring that at least not annoying.
Last edited by wonder cow on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Nice images!

Post by Jaix »

wonder cow, it's nice with a lot of images, but for those who have a modem connection it's really painful, so I would like to give you good hint how to stay popular, make a small image and link it to the real image, in that way peple can choos if they want to see it or not, look at this:

[ external image ]

This is how it's done:

Code: Select all

[url=http://teknoskand.dyndns.org/reactos/images/Thunderbird01.png][img]http://teknoskand.dyndns.org/reactos/images/Thunderbird01_tn.png[/img][/url]
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

Jaix wrote:but for those who have a modem connection it's really painful,
[start bandwidth snobbery]
everyone should have a cable modem
[/end bandwidth snobbery]

Thanks and corrected.
:D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

wonder cow: I can be wrong, but your Chess Master 7000 BSOD looks familiar to me. It looks like BSODs caused by our (not mine, but I love to say it so ;-) ) not very well implemented Cache Manager. Hopefully it will be implemented in 0.31 (It's already almost complete)
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

EmuandCo wrote:very well implemented Cache Manager. Hopefully it will be implemented in 0.31 (It's already almost complete)
I look forward to the updates.

Cache Manager? Would that relate to virtual memory? Excuse my ignorance.

(virtual memory on a virtual hard drive running on a virtual machine - that's a lot of virtual :lol: )

Maybe in the near future I will be able to contribute in some way.

I would not mind doing some coding for the project, except that I do not have the technical understanding of OS's to be much help. I would have to do quite a bit of research on this project and low level Windows details just to start.

But I do have a couple of questions, come to think of it. Is there design documentation somewhere? Or a progress chart showing what has been implemented and what needs work? Are there teams and team leaders working on different areas?

Not to mention that the whole 'subversion' thing (if that is what it is called) is a total mystery to me.

[edit]
looking back at the pic I see the Page Fault exception
[/edit]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

wonder cow. Of course it would. A VM sets up a almost REAL PC in your Host OS. ReactOS does not see Virual RAM or Virtual HDD. It sees a X86 PC Platform.
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

EmuandCo wrote:ReactOS does not see Virual RAM or Virtual HDD. It sees a X86 PC Platform.
What I meant was 'real' virtual memory. ( :shock: ) As in the type written to the hard drive when main memory is full. Which in this case would be virtual virtual memory, which was suppose to be a kind of a joke. The unfunny kind that's not really all that funny.

But as to the Cache manager, this is to manage virtual memory, correct?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Dunno :oops:

Ask DrFred or GreatLord. They work(ed) on it.