Minimalistic Distribution

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaix
Moderator Team

Minimalistic Distribution

Post by Jaix »

I was thinking about using my old computers with ReactOS, but I realized it consumes pretty much resorses compared to a really old computer (i386 sx 16 5M 60M HDD), is it possible to make some new installation options? Slim, UltraSlim and TEXT for examle.

The goal would be to replace DOS and Win3.x or Win9x to be able to use the really old ones as simple fil, printer, web or gateway computers. This by using as little resourses as possible, like the computer above.

I also follow the Contiki Project ( http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/ ) This is a new operating system for really tiny computers (like the C64 or Atari ][) They has squezed a graphical GUI TCP-IP, network drivers, Web-server and viewer, Telnet, FTP-Client, Mail-Client, VNC-Server. Text-editor, Calculator and more in these old computers, shouldn´t it be possible to use a monster like a i386 sx 16 5M 60M for ReactOS then?
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

I think that the ability to run ReactOS on those computers at a reasonable speed would be good, because that would mean that the actual code for ROS would have to be very efficient, and thus running it on faster machines it would be even faster.

Though on the other hand I don't think ReactOS should sacrafise features simply to be able to run on a 386sx.
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

the reason I have an intrest on reactOS is for recyled computers, the last batch I had, best was 500Mhz 64Mb worse was 233mhz 32Mb, which where great computers in their time.

and i want to train unemployed/homeless people to use them (which is my day job) and then GIVE them a computer, but you can't GIVE away a computer with a microsoft OS on it. (legallly)

so really it depend how old is too old ?
I reused a P133 a few months ago, it is still working has a firewall. but really I try not to go below 300 'ish

for older than that www.freedos.org is a good option
there are loads of GUIs for DOS, some are quite good.

reactOS is a NT4 rewrite, NT4 would not run on a 386, 386s are of the DOS age !
chorns

486 needed

Post by chorns »

ReactOS needs at least a 486 due to its use of atomic exchange instructions.
forart

old computers...

Post by forart »

for dinos, try MenuetOS: www.menuetos.org
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

mobius
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mobius/

they are aim be replase for windows 95/98
it is few devloper at this project, You can not use vmware to test it. it need to run in boche or on real hardware.
System req : I do not know

rdos
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rdos/

Never use it. they claim to run dos and windows apps.
req: i386 2MB
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

mobius is new to me. Did anybody try it yet? What is the difference to ReactOS?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

I have try it.
it is base on dos kernel and it does not even have a gui. the is only few programmers in that project. few program are working.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Minimalistic Distribution Again

Post by Jaix »

Okay, it´s not good to sacrifice ReactOS features to make it able to run on to old computers, but I was more talking about configuration and selection of features plus optimization.
It would possibly be good with some diffierent compilations of the ReactOS system one for optimizing speed, one for optimazing resources and so on. In this way there wouldn´t be necessary to compromize so much.
I thank all who advice other solutions, but I don´t think its good to aim for a 16bit dos-based system to replace win9x when ReactOS is being developed, just slim it down a bit (quite a bit in fact).
I also understand that to much optimization isn´t possible during development below 1.0 version, it has to come after compatibility, but admit that it would be nice to be able to us your old computers for the kids.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

John Headstrong wrote: so really it depend how old is too old ?
I reused a P133 a few months ago, it is still working has a firewall. but really I try not to go below 300 'ish !
I have WinXP running on a 233 with 64Mb ram and that runs OK, so I would imagine ReactOS would be fine.
Jaix
Moderator Team

LitePC

Post by Jaix »

A minimalistic installation of a Windows computer can be made through the LitePC software http://www.litepc.com
This software is more like a custom installation software or deinstallation software for different parts of the windows operating system.
This should be in the ReactOS installation software i think.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

1ce ROS gets to be good and mainstreamish, I'm sure someone will start up a "light" flavor that's just the basics, but alot of other stuff has to happen 1st (Netwking, ROS Explorer 1.0.0, W32K full and stable, ROS 1.0.0, etc, etc).

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

uniQ wrote:1ce ROS gets to be good and mainstreamish, I'm sure someone will start up a "light" flavor that's just the basics, but alot of other stuff has to happen 1st (Netwking, ROS Explorer 1.0.0, W32K full and stable, ROS 1.0.0, etc, etc).
I think you're right!
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

I hope so! It will be excellent for old machines, minimal router/gateway setups, maybe even embedded firmware for routers, just with a config app and a familar GUI.

Something to look forward to ;)

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

uniQ wrote:It will be excellent for old machines, minimal router/gateway setups, maybe even embedded firmware for routers, just with a config app and a familar GUI.
Good idea! (I hope) much better than IOS (from Cisco) :wink: