eyeOS to use ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pvanlogchem

eyeOS to use ReactOS

Post by pvanlogchem »

See this topic : http://www.eyeos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1927

One question; What 'bloat' are they talking about? (I haven't asked around at eyeOS forum yet - maybe one of the regulars has more info on this?)

Cheers,
Patrick
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

The word bloat will probably not adress the same things than the word bloat would mean for vista ;-) Those people seem to want to achieve a real slim OS core. There was a ros-dev mail from Alex Ionescu, who shrinked ROS down to 3.8 MB. And I was thinking if it might be possible to shrink it even more, so that it would fit on a 1.44 MB disk. That's removing bload like gui, network, sound, etc... ;-)
bratao

Post by bratao »

I dont get, they saying that it will strip the reactos, and make a closed payware program :? :? :? :? :?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Wow. That's certainly an interesting concept. Anyways, I don't see anything about charging to use it, and they also can't "close" the source code, since if they based it off ReactOS, the GPL kind of prevents them from doing that, at least without the permission of the ReactOS team that is.
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

I took a look at eyeOS. And I am impressed. A whole desktop implimented in AJAX. :o
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Fiirst I want to say that eyeOS Terminal is in fact a bootable OS. I'm not sure if I had mentioned, but we have decided to shy away from reactOS. Reason- Why would we want to? There is no point. It is always going to be bloated and there is now way to avoid that.
So, we decided to write our own OS.
ReactOS is not bloated ...

"eyeOS" history: Linux -> ReactOS -> "own OS" -> Linux -> what's next ?

:lol:

Information I am talking about:
http://www.eyeos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=366&p=2
http://www.eyeos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=531
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
They will make the os close source with ReactOS code.
We need talk about how we can take actions against it.

For u for not doing close source with GPL u are force give out the code if some ask after it. They are obgations to give out the code. I need talk with fireball and other devs what will take for actions or not take a actions.
michael79

Hum...

Post by michael79 »

Many projects of this kind have failed.
It's not really of good idea to put a whole
system on the web is not reliable.
Good luck to them.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

That whole thing is strange. They create their own OS with "drivers for mouse, video, keyboard, and a port for flash, java, and its own limited ASM editor" and a webbrowser and a gui wich works with windows fonts. And that all in 1 month :?:
Those guys seem to be real fast coders...
I think someone should check what they really use as OS...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Easiest way to stop them would be a cease and desist email from the ReactOS team, telling them that either they license whatever they derive from ReactOS as GPL as well, or stop using ReactOS code. If they refuse, I'm sure the FSF would be interested in hearing about a project that's violating the GPL they created.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

z98 as long they give out reactos source code + with there change to reactos code under GPL licen it is fine with us.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Apparently, this link has nothing to do with eyeOS, it's a seperate project by some guy, which will probably never see the light of day.

Everyone is fussing over nothing.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Well we all look really smart....
Davy

Post by Davy »

In my oppinion EyeOS is a neat idea but I do have concern over what GreatLord suggested, that they may try to close source the code, if that happens, contact Free Software Foundation immediately, I'm sure they'll handle a majority of that legal problem.
whitehornmatt

Post by whitehornmatt »

EyeOS is GPL as well