ReactOffice

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

michael79

ReactOffice

Post by michael79 »

Since RapidQ is really working great on ReactOS, I've started
a new developement on a sort of OpenOffice "light" for ReactOS.
I may change the name if ReactOS team wants to keep it.
It should have a bit more features than Wordpad but a lot less than
Word or Writer. I will also start a Word/Calc, Powerpoint/Impress,
Publisher/Draw and Access/Base clone. I will be working actively on
this project for the next month. If other people want to participate,
you just need to know RapidQ (Visual Basic knowledge may help).

Screenshot

[ external image ]

I will put the sourcecode on my personal webspace when the
Writer clone is nearly finished.

ReactOS is cool, RapidQ is cool :P
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

Good idea.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I don't think it's a clever idea to develop yet another Open Source Office Suite. You won't be able to keep up with OpenOffice or AbiWord/GNUmeric anyway. Also KOffice will be ported to Windows along with KDE 4.0. You may want to consider learning C++ so you can contribute to AbiWord or GNUmeric. Or something else ReactOS needs, like ReactOS Explorer or the package manager.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

rospad is a catchy name for something like that.
Go Huskers!
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Matthias wrote:I don't think it's a clever idea to develop yet another Open Source Office Suite. You won't be able to keep up with OpenOffice or AbiWord/GNUmeric anyway. Also KOffice will be ported to Windows along with KDE 4.0. You may want to consider learning C++ so you can contribute to AbiWord or GNUmeric. Or something else ReactOS needs, like ReactOS Explorer or the package manager.
Well, I actually think it could be a good idea. As long as he keeps it lightweight, it would be nice to have something that is fast, small and can get the most basic office tasks done without having to install an entire suite. But again, I emphasize lightweight, otherwise you would be correct, because at that point, you may as well go for a full blown suite.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I normally try not to kill projects. Really.

Developing in RapidQ is point less. Where do you find a free open source complier for it and runtime envorment. More critical project would be developing a Open Source visual windows app development tool. Light weight based in C or C++ would be a worth while projects. Note even C# I would tolerate of course mono has to be got working here.

Think the wordpad would be taken out cleanly by AbiWord. It would grow reactos in size minorly but AbiWord is fully functional. 12 megs to install. Minor expandion in size for a complete Word program.

Notepad is taken out by notepad++.

You are not competing with the MS level here. The level here is a lot higher. Functionally will be demarded to be a lot more.

I think there is a gap for a light weight calc/excel tool. With Koffice coming it might be still to heavy.

Open source projects litter the net attempting to make completely light weight lacking in features tools. http://siag.nu/ Siag.nu reberthed by the looks of it. Think saig is basicly dead these days.

There are other tools like this around. OpenOffice is over kill in some cases.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Start develop ROS instead.

Post by Jaix »

michael79 i guess you feel like you don't know C well enough to start develop for ROS, but I have read all your previous posts, you are a clever guy, oh how I like to get you to start develop ROS instead of giving your time to something we already have. I know we don't have it in the tree, but if you don't develop in C/C++ your OfficeSuite woan't either.

I think you will get productive soon if you really put your mind in learning C. There is also a lot of stuff you could do before you get productive, like testing and bug-hunting. To get plugged in go to ReactOS IRC chat and talk to the community, there is always someone who can give you a hint.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Chat
michael79

Post by michael79 »

MadRat wrote:rospad is a catchy name for something like that.
A pad has no rich text capabilities. There will also be a Calc, Impress,
Draw and Base equivalant. I might only rename ReactOffice Writer
As ReactPad or RosPad.

Thanks for the name idea. :wink:
michael79

Post by michael79 »

oiaohm wrote:I normally try not to kill projects. Really.

Developing in RapidQ is point less. Where do you find a free open source complier for it and runtime envorment. More critical project would be developing a Open Source visual windows app development tool. Light weight based in C or C++ would be a worth while projects. Note even C# I would tolerate of course mono has to be got working here.

Think the wordpad would be taken out cleanly by AbiWord. It would grow reactos in size minorly but AbiWord is fully functional. 12 megs to install. Minor expandion in size for a complete Word program.

Notepad is taken out by notepad++.

You are not competing with the MS level here. The level here is a lot higher. Functionally will be demarded to be a lot more.

I think there is a gap for a light weight calc/excel tool. With Koffice coming it might be still to heavy.

Open source projects litter the net attempting to make completely light weight lacking in features tools. http://siag.nu/ Siag.nu reberthed by the looks of it. Think saig is basicly dead these days.

There are other tools like this around. OpenOffice is over kill in some cases.
RapidQ is now OpenSource and also compatible with Linux.

I'm not familiar with C so I might switch to BCX (Basic To C Translator).
michael79

Re: Start develop ROS instead.

Post by michael79 »

Jaix wrote:michael79 i guess you feel like you don't know C well enough to start develop for ROS, but I have read all your previous posts, you are a clever guy, oh how I like to get you to start develop ROS instead of giving your time to something we already have. I know we don't have it in the tree, but if you don't develop in C/C++ your OfficeSuite woan't either.

I think you will get productive soon if you really put your mind in learning C. There is also a lot of stuff you could do before you get productive, like testing and bug-hunting. To get plugged in go to ReactOS IRC chat and talk to the community, there is always someone who can give you a hint.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Chat
I'm not familiar with C so I might switch from RapidQ
to BCX (Basic To C Translator).
michael79

Post by michael79 »

Sirmatto wrote:
Matthias wrote:I don't think it's a clever idea to develop yet another Open Source Office Suite. You won't be able to keep up with OpenOffice or AbiWord/GNUmeric anyway. Also KOffice will be ported to Windows along with KDE 4.0. You may want to consider learning C++ so you can contribute to AbiWord or GNUmeric. Or something else ReactOS needs, like ReactOS Explorer or the package manager.
Well, I actually think it could be a good idea. As long as he keeps it lightweight, it would be nice to have something that is fast, small and can get the most basic office tasks done without having to install an entire suite. But again, I emphasize lightweight, otherwise you would be correct, because at that point, you may as well go for a full blown suite.
Yes! Keeping it lightweight is the main objective. It will stay has a single
executable of a few megs. The idea is to give the basic features to test
on ReactOS (in its eraly stages). Of course, when ReactOS would be
able to run OpenOffice, this is pointless.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

michael79 wrote:Of course, when ReactOS would be
able to run OpenOffice, this is pointless.
ReactOS can run OpenOffice. It just breaks from time to time.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Openoffice already works in reactos (it even worked since last year, if it doesn't work now it's only a regression that will be fixed for next version)
[ external image ]
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

oiaohm wrote:I think there is a gap for a light weight calc/excel tool. With Koffice coming it might be still to heavy.
Um, what's wrong with GNUmeric?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

GNUmeric No windows version that is stable yet but on way. When stable that door will be closed as well. Ok just looked at web page did not know that GNUmeric had a win32 version at all. Little lack of infomation problem.

michael79
RapidQ is now OpenSource and also compatible with Linux.
Where please not listed on freshmeat or sourceforge. With matching complier.

michael79
I'm not familiar with C so I might switch to BCX (Basic To C Translator).
Ok not knowing C I will forgive this. I really will forgive this. The outputed Basic to C Transaltor is the worst optmised C code I have ever seen. Also some of the worst code I ever had to read as well.
Small section of defect in it there is a lot more other problems BCX has.

Code: Select all

printf("%s%s%s\n","constantstring ",var," constant string");
printf("%s\n","string with more info");
How it should look

Code: Select all

printf("constantstring %s constant string\n"
          "string with more info\n",var);
One function lot faster less processing required. Difference come more displayed the more unreqired functions there are.

Still faster than normal bytecode. BCX really does not get the best out of C. BCX really needs a rewrite. Compliers can optimise code but they normally don't optimise function calls like printf. BCX really need to optmize the code it forms a lot more. Yes the outputed code would be less basic like and a little harder to debug but that would be worth it. Personal clean up of a BCX program C source I have seen runtimes in places cut to about 10 percent of what it was taking that is a lot faster.

Reactos will run OpenOffice perfectly before version 1.0.0 I would bet.

Note porting rapidq to C might be useful if it has a good interface building tools.

In a lot of ways basic is a dieing lang. Just very slowly dieing. Same way cobol died out. Companys got caught with that one too.