BIOS Problem

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

keytotime

Post by keytotime »

Well Considering that Linux will not boot on my machine. I've tried about 20 distros. I can't really hate Microsoft. It's a great OS and supported by nearly everybody. I'm really happy about ReactOS because unlike linux it boots on my machine as soon as it has USB Mouse Support .5.X it will become my primary OS.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

keytotime wrote:Well Considering that Linux will not boot on my machine. I've tried about 20 distros. I can't really hate Microsoft. It's a great OS and supported by nearly everybody. I'm really happy about ReactOS because unlike linux it boots on my machine as soon as it has USB Mouse Support .5.X it will become my primary OS.
Thats not linux's fault that it won't boot on your machine.

Whats your boot configuration in your B.I.O.S. ??

If your not setup to bootup from CD like that, Then it won't boot..

And what kinds of distro's did you try, Downloaded or premade ordered one's..??

Like :> www.shipit.ubuntu.com or www.kubuntu.com

:D
Last edited by jason.b.c on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
reactux

Post by reactux »

keytotime wrote:Well Considering that Linux will not boot on my machine. I've tried about 20 distros. I can't really hate Microsoft. It's a great OS and supported by nearly everybody. I'm really happy about ReactOS because unlike linux it boots on my machine as soon as it has USB Mouse Support .5.X it will become my primary OS.
why didn't you asked for some help?
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

yeah. Sometimes simple commands are all it takes or its even simpler, like boot priority.

In fact, i crashed my computer and i am running Knoppix right now. Weird, but true. I'm on the verge of fixing the problem, anyway.
reactux

Post by reactux »

Nmn wrote:yeah. Sometimes simple commands are all it takes or its even simpler, like boot priority.

In fact, i crashed my computer and i am running Knoppix right now. Weird, but true. I'm on the verge of fixing the problem, anyway.
:evil: :evil: damn bios...
i have a bios that now refuses to boot an old hdd(it was booting it before with some tweaking...)
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

It's not my Bios, it's my onboard raid, it causes the booting process to halt. Also my USB causes booting to hang. My Motherboard is anti-linux. I tried Ubuntu already, I tried Knoppix, I tried Mandrake, I tried Fedora, I tried Rethat. Not even Live CD's work. At least ReactOS boots.
steveh

OT: linux problems with RAID?

Post by steveh »

@keytotime

>It's not my Bios, it's my onboard raid, it causes the booting process to halt. Also my USB causes booting to hang. My Motherboard is anti-linux.

What is the model of your computer, and the model of your mainboard?
Did you also try Suse?

If linuxes don't work, do you have an option in the BIOS to completely de-activate the RAID as a last resort? What model is the BIOS?
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Linux is nice, but its only worth it if you wanted it. You can always "buy" Cedega to play windows games on linux (Yeah right, people ain't buying that shit. Its only worth it for free. And you know people on bittorrent and eMule/eDonkey are sharing it.)

So yeah. I ran madtracker in Cedega. Ran just fine, directx emulation in all.
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

SY-P4I 845PE
BIOS Revision: P4I845PE_2AA3
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?t=d&id=241

If I disable the RAID, it hangs when it looks for USB Devices.

Funny how this thing evolved into a separate thread.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Using a USB keyboard is a hit and miss thing with Linux and BSDs, especially when booting. What happens when your USB device isn't plugged in?
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

Still Hang's. I've tried everything. But ReactOS boots so I'm happy.
reactux

Post by reactux »

keytotime wrote:It's not my Bios, it's my onboard raid, it causes the booting process to halt. Also my USB causes booting to hang. My Motherboard is anti-linux. I tried Ubuntu already, I tried Knoppix, I tried Mandrake, I tried Fedora, I tried Rethat. Not even Live CD's work. At least ReactOS boots.
disable it
you have several ways to do this
*in your bios
*mabe with command lines
if it is reconised like an scsi card just type knoppix noscsi(when there is boot screen)

also disable usb...lol

it is a pity that you can't try linux...
after trying it you will be able to choose between linux and reactOS...lol
you could also try *BSD livecd
Last edited by reactux on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
reactux

Post by reactux »

Nmn wrote:Linux is nice, but its only worth it if you wanted it. You can always "buy" Cedega to play windows games on linux (Yeah right, people ain't buying that shit. Its only worth it for free. And you know people on bittorrent and eMule/eDonkey are sharing it.)

So yeah. I ran madtracker in Cedega. Ran just fine, directx emulation in all.
you can also download it from cvs
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

BTW When I try to use ReactOS Device Manager List By Connection (PCI) I get
CM_Locate_DevNode<> failed, cr = 0xd

Is the feature non-implemented or is my Mobo trying to break ReactOS to?

BTW my Mobo is great for testing stuff, it has a knack for causing problems.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

For a Linux built compad motherboard its causing problems. Hmm.

noapic option required on some motherboard when raid is disabled.

You would have ran memtest86 and the standard test tools just to rule out memory defects and the like.

You have knoppix try both kernels on it with noapic option.

I don't know if your motherboard is healthy. Windows will run on pretty sad hardware. Ie hardware where Linux will not run because it has defects. Linux is more likey to frease or stop in case of hardware error than go on.
Using a USB keyboard is a hit and miss thing with Linux and BSDs, especially when booting. What happens when your USB device isn't plugged in?
I have never had hit and miss problems with USB keyboards on motherboard built for Linux that was not traced to one flag. legacy support some motherboard need this on some need it off.

Reactos is not the most nice beasty at anytime. I cannot be sure that it is or is not a problem. Freedos runs on the worst harmed hardware I have found yet. Its even more tolerant than Windows