Imagesoft name

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What name you prefer

ReactPaint
39%
R-Paint
8%
Painter
8%
Imagesoft
11%
No votes
Foto (or Photo)
8%
Paint
3%
Ros Paint
17%
rPaint
6%

Total votes: 36

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:23 pm

I think it's important to have a basic, Paint-like image editor included in ReactOS. I still use it quite often, even though I have programs like Paint.NET and the GIMP installed on my PC.

I'd say Paint is the "Notepad" of image editors. You wouldn't use OOO Writer to make a batch file, would you? :)

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:09 am

I think Imagesoft is a really good name, you can make a symlink called is.exe which makes it even more easier for users to start Imagesoft, example from Start -> Run However iam really not a fan of the Ros prefixes on the names. (Yes i know it's a ReactOS utillity and should go by that prefix)

And the fact that i dont like the ROS prefix might also be that i dont find ReactOS as a suitable name. Why?
Well before i even knew that ReactOS exsisted i saw the name and my first thoughs where...
Yea another NuclearOS, NapalmOS or BioHazardOS name. Well later i found out that React in ReactOS meant React and not the other i where thinking of, However the name sounds very odd in my ears. Well dont see this as some trolling/complaining etc, I just wanted to tell my opinion.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:31 am

The 'Photo' application should probably be different to the 'Paint' one, much like on XP with the image viewer and paint.

As for names, i think they should be kept simple and unbranded. We dont need to end up with a mess like KDE where almost all applications start with K, its unimaginative, confusing and boring. Something like 'Photo' or 'Paint' is very easily interpreted and clean and names like Imagesoft or anything with 'soft' at the end sound like a company (Imagesoft already exists as a company).

Lembam

Re: Imagesoft name

Post by Lembam » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Why not ROS graffiti :)? (previous post of this that I sent did i not see here)

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Is imagesoft up and running yet? i checked it out a while ago, and it wasnt dones, so in the latest builds... done yet?

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:14 pm

It's dead.
It was originally written as a uni project and because of that, some bad design decisions had to be made to meet the requirements.
It really needs a partial rewrte with a proper graphics engine. Something which I have no interest in doing.