What will ReactOS become?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thesrk

What will ReactOS become?

Post by thesrk »

Hi all,

I realy like the idea of a FOS that is Windows compatible, it is something this world realy needs. i allready installed the latest ReactOS version on my P4 :) (damn!!! it boots and shuts down realy fast, respect to the programmers)

I realy have the feeling that the developers of ReactOS are trying to make a windows clone. i read that ReactOS isn't a clone, but i still say that it looks/feels like one.

enough crap, time for my real question. I am wondering "What will ReactOS become?". Dont shoot me but will it be as bad as windows is today? what do i mean whit this, wel i mean...

:arrow: Will ReactOS be a CD-Rom that instals a huge amount of files on my HDD that i will never use. Think of solitare, winmine, outlook, pinball, DR Watson, etc. ?
:arrow: Will ReactOS create stupid direcftorys like "c:\program files\microsoft frontpage", "My Documents", "My Music", etc and block me from removing these directorys?
:arrow: Will ReactOS be hardcoded as hell ? (do i need to hack *.exe *.dll files if i want to change some simpel icons like startbar, folder, sound, etc)
:arrow: Will ReactOS always display a stupid recycled map on my desktop and all my HDD's ?
:arrow: Do i need to go trough a lot of trouble to unload the Start Bar?
:arrow: Will it take 2-5 minutes to boot into ReactOS?
:arrow: And more...

Greetz to all.

/* @brief My Opinion:
Dont make ReactOS as hardcoded as windows, Let ReactOS be module based.
Let ReactOS have a advanced and noob instal :wink:
*/
tsg1zzn

Re: What will ReactOS become?

Post by tsg1zzn »

thesrk wrote: (do i need to hack *.exe *.dll files if i want to change some simpel icons like startbar, folder, sound, etc)
No, just modify the source file and recompile.
florian

Post by florian »

Some more answers...
thesrk wrote: :arrow: Will ReactOS be a CD-Rom that instals a huge amount of files on my HDD that i will never use. Think of solitare, winmine, outlook, pinball, DR Watson, etc. ?
No, that is not the intention of ROS and probably one of the reasons why lots of people really like ROS and its developers.
thesrk wrote: Will ReactOS create stupid direcftorys like "c:\program files\microsoft frontpage", "My Documents", "My Music", etc and block me from removing these directorys?
They should be created as people are used to it but I don`t know exactly.
thesrk wrote: Will it take 2-5 minutes to boot into ReactOS?
As far as I remember it was said that only 20% up to 30% of an OS are developed in ROS. Therefore the expacted boot time will grow as ROS grows bigger but it should be still much more faster than XP with all of its services, GUI gimmicks etc.

And remember ROS is an Opensource project so that you could change almost everything to your desires as long as you`re able to write all of that code :lol:

One example is given above.
thesrk

Post by thesrk »

i dont think my programming skill is good enough to write code for a project like this :wink:
Meklort

Re: What will ReactOS become?

Post by Meklort »

thesrk wrote::arrow: Will ReactOS be a CD-Rom that instals a huge amount of files on my HDD that i will never use. Think of solitare, winmine, outlook, pinball, DR Watson, etc. ?
Reactos will have a very few amount of apps installed by default, one of wich will be the package manager, so that you can later easily add apps you need, and not ones you do not.
thesrk wrote::arrow: Will ReactOS create stupid direcftorys like "c:\program files\microsoft frontpage", "My Documents", "My Music", etc and block me from removing these directorys?
As far as I know, and its not very far, there directories will exists by default, whether for program compatibility, or for similarities. Also, you may be able to change the location of these paths using a configuration utility or the registry.
thesrk wrote::arrow: Will ReactOS be hardcoded as hell ? (do i need to hack *.exe *.dll files if i want to change some simpel icons like startbar, folder, sound, etc)
Reactos currently lets you mess around with it a bunch in the registry, but you can always recompile if you are unable to configure it how you want it to be.
thesrk wrote::arrow: Will ReactOS always display a stupid recycled map on my desktop and all my HDD's ?
I'll assume that you can change this behavior, if not in a utility, then in the code.
thesrk wrote::arrow: Do i need to go trough a lot of trouble to unload the Start Bar?
See above.
thesrk wrote::arrow: Will it take 2-5 minutes to boot into ReactOS?
Reactos, as With most other operation systems (including Windows) will allow you to configure what services to start by default (Linux for me takes about 2 seconds to get to the point were services start, at wich if one a few are selected, it takes a few more seconds). Because this is FOSS, you will be able to have even more control over what starts.
thesrk wrote::arrow: And more...
Basically, if you want it changed, you can ether hack the source, wait for somebody else to put out a tutorial on it, or see if a util exists to do it for you.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

ReactOS is becoming less and less hardcoded. I had viruses that infected my explorer.exe, so i went in to same mode (Parts of the virus wont load right in safe mode) and replaced windows explorer with reactos explorer and it runs great. By the way, I put notifyhook.dll in the same place. And also, When going to different virtual desktops, the items from others disappear. Neat, but is that how reactos handles it? maybe a bug, but inconsistencies like that can end up with a few more not working programs like explorer replacements.

I hope someday reactos will look like this, with some minor hacking to the toolbars ui.. this is terrible because partially it has a windows gradient, but on the tasklist and icons it doesnt. Quick launch does, and the area around start doesnt, the virtual desktop bar does... whatever.

Reactos is still developing. I HATE dr.watson. Worst idea ever i think. What the hell was it useful for and when? Games of course will be implemented. Since this operating system seems to be more geared to the users liking, it may be less about debugging and development (Although, being the furthest active working windows clone... whatev you want to call it, even i would make a development environment.) But of course, not all users arent developers.