Set up VirtualBox for x64 and/or multi-core tests

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

matthiasbasler

Set up VirtualBox for x64 and/or multi-core tests

Post by matthiasbasler »

As you might know I do some software tests from time to time. So far I have done all tests with x86 builds and have configured Virtual Box to use one processor only. With the developments in the 0.4.15 branch I learnt (e.g. from the Twitter page) that both x64 support and multicore support have been worked on and improved significantly. So I thought I might expand my software tests and documentation to this.

However I need some help as I am not involved in the technical details and expect that the devs have better knowledge how to set up the VM in the optimum way specifically for these tests.

Question 1:
My first attempt to install the VBox Guest Additions (in Safe mode) on reactos-bootcd-0.4.15-dev-5833-g083a91-x64 (64 Bit) failed with the message
"The image file \??\D:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine."
I never had this issue in my 32 bit setup.

Is there a known way to solve this issue? Maybe I have just configured the VM in a wrong way, or maybe this is known not to work for now.

Question 2:
Have you done tests with x64 ReactOS and multiple cores or is it currently required to set up VMs for both aspects separately, that is, set up a single-core x64 VM and a multi-core x86 VM.

Question 3:
Are there required or recommended settings specifically for testing multi-core support?
Apart from my usual VM test setup described on my wiki page I have done only following changes:
  • System>Processor : 2 CPU (I could increase this if it makes sense)
  • IO-APIC: ON
This setup installs with the 32 bit ISO (including Guest Additions), however I don't see a trace of the two cores in the task manager or in "My computer". But the device manager lists two CPUs. Is this expected?

My goal is to document working setup(s) on my wiki page so that other testers don't have to ask the same questions.
reactosfanboy

Re: Set up VirtualBox for x64 and/or multi-core tests

Post by reactosfanboy »

I am personally not entirely sure, whether VBox does allow exposing multiple cores to the VM at all. For me at least on a DualCore host system without any VT-x that option is always greyed out in the VMs settings.
You might have more luck when trying that with VMware.
But I wouldn't expect ros to make any sane usage of that yet. But I may be wrong with that.
Good focus you do have on testing though: Stuff that actually matters. Good luck. I am curious to hear from your results.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

As far as my knowledge goes, working with other VM products, you need at least one more than just two CPUs in order to allocate two CPUs to a virtual system. A four core system should do well.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
cemhyur

Post by cemhyur »

Hi @matthiasbasler

you got any solution for error.
"The image file \??\D:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine."

yearster I installed x64 bit and got this error.
If you have any solution please share.