[Printers] Please add CUPS server to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lama

[Printers] Please add CUPS server to ReactOS

Post by lama »

Hi :twisted:
Can you developers add CUPS server to ReactOS? Something that adds Remote CUPS Printers and locally installed printers to itself and also serves other OSes the added local and remote printers?

:twisted: I think the list of printers and PPD drivers are extensive in CUPS
dizt3mp3r

Re: [Printers] Please add CUPS server to ReactOS

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I am sure they will attend to this one day after the day when the printer stack is functional. If a version of CUPS already runs on XP then it might well be testable on ReactOS already. If it runs on later versions of Windows only then you will have a long wait until those areas of functionality are added to ReactOS. If it does not have a Windows installer and is only for non-Windows oses then you may be waiting until the cows come home as ReactOS is not unix/linux.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
lama

Post by lama »

This is not a unix/linux but still Btrfs (which was designed for Linux) was added to ReactOS by some Horses?
https://github.com/apple/cups/releases/tag/v2.3.6

Having CUPS :? on ReactOS can be better because users will have an option (instead of no option? waiting for Printer Stack to be functional?). I think this CUPS is as good and popular as Btrfs :? So many guys use Macs, iPhones, iPads etc. Having this on ReactOS is as good as having Printer Stack :twisted:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I think you misunderstood some aspects of the architecture here... Lets try to fix that first.

CUPS is good and fine, but CUPS alone won't magically fix any missing stuff. You NEED a printer stack to use a printer from a Windows application. CUPS alone does not provide the needed API for the apps to use it. Btw, we have a printer stack already. This stack is not 100% done, but the core is there. Missing modules are the ones for things like USB and LAN printers. LPT works already aka a big chunk of work is already done.

BTRFS was NOT designed just for Linux. The standard is easily useable for anything you apply it to. EVEN Windows. That's what makes it a good and high quality standard: portability.

Last time I checked our developers list, there were only humans on it. We have no horses in our development team. If you think insulting is funny, I strongly suggest you hop back to reddit anarchy and stay there. If you wanna discuss with us on a badly needed minimum niveau, you can of course stay and do so. But any other insult causes some banhammer spawning!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
this may be of interest
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/284 ... or-windows
Is there a version of the CUPS server available for Windows?
Since some time there is a project called ippsample on GitHub. It's slowly approaching a mature version 1.0 release.

Here are the first two sentences of given as self-description in the mandatory README file:

"This code provides sample implementations of IPP Clients, Printers, and Proxies. It is largely based upon the CUPS software, with substantial changes to the ippproxy and ippserver implementations to make them more general-purpose and configurable." (my emphasis)
https://github.com/istopwg/ippsample