Stage alpha or beta

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

aaparker

Stage alpha or beta

Post by aaparker »

Hi,
As far as I remember, the ReactOS was in alpha stage. Now, is it in bata stage? I cannot see any information as was in the past at the web site.
Regards
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Stage alpha or beta

Post by EmuandCo »

https://reactos.org/download/
See the text in red ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

This is truly easy to remember: alpha stage. Basically, forever. 😆
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

Idealistically I thought by this time reactos would at least reach the beta stage. Realistically, I think it would take probably at least half my lifetime at least to reach beta level.
I've lost hope in this project a long time ago and i accepted that it will forever be just a hobby OS with no practical applications
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, if you have a problem with the development speed, we accept patches™
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

laurflorin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:26 pm Idealistically I thought by this time reactos would at least reach the beta stage. Realistically, I think it would take probably at least half my lifetime at least to reach beta level.
I've lost hope in this project a long time ago and i accepted that it will forever be just a hobby OS with no practical applications
Whether or not it will be useful to YOU personally is neither here nor there for the majority of the developers nor the ReactOS team in general. ReactOS serves a purpose at all stages of its development which you may not understand. ReactOS, whether alpha or beta, even when usable to many, will probably still really remain in Alpha as more and more functionality is encompassed.

FYI, ReactOS development speed is growing and probably more development is happening now than at any time in ReactOS history.

Having said that we don't need the sort of negativity you display in the project so I suppose this is a happy TTFN from both sides.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

EmuandCo wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:32 am Well, if you have a problem with the development speed, we accept patches™
Not from anyone its up to reactos developer team to allow it or you risk to be ban from this project so thx for support.
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:08 pm Having said that we don't need the sort of negativity you display in the project so I suppose this is a happy TTFN from both sides.
I think its better if reactos be more includes to anyone i expect not all can be developer but i think more will try if they get more information how its works but i think less peaple will switch to Linux instead if they know how much time they use wasted. Its better to pay for Chrome os flex or something that can be used. Issue about reactos be bigger now than before i can before install it on real hp mini laptop but now its broked.
Sorry but understand peaple much will try to help but waste of time. Maybe try https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys ... /4.00.950/ Windows 95 in browser so we did need to use VMware or virtual box?
black soul choir

Post by black soul choir »

Long, long time ago, you could easily trace progress using cia.vc. Is there any place, where non techy person like me could do it this time?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

https://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git;a=log

P. S. If anyone managed to understand what LMH1 posted, please pm me... I tried my best, but... Not a chance!

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

He is just trying to troll in another language and failing as his English is so poor. He should troll in his native language and then perhaps we could have a chance to translate and understand.
ReactifSE

Post by ReactifSE »

laurflorin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:26 pm Idealistically I thought by this time reactos would at least reach the beta stage. Realistically, I think it would take probably at least half my lifetime at least to reach beta level.
Perhaps you could have increased your contributions to the project in order to speed it up.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

ReactifSE wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:19 pm
Perhaps you could have increased your contributions to the project in order to speed it up.
If it were his project, that would be a viable proposal. But somewhere among saving the puppies and using less gasoline for climate change risks (particularly not on the puppies), one has to make hard choices, right? It is a bit of an improper reply. It is like someone saying, "the train is late", and to give him the reply, "why don't YOU work on the train?". But that is not the customer's intention, now, is it?

We all do, of course, hope to see advances as in Haiku - which recently posted Beta 4 - but this is, of course, ReactOS with its different properties.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I see no improper reply here. If someone thinks we are too slow... #weacceptpatches

We have no customers, we have no obligation to anyone as we are a FOSS project under the lead of a few ppl spending their free time into a monster of a project. If someone here thinks he can force us in any direction, I will not even try to talk to this person, but perma ban him from all services we have! If someone just shows up to tell us that we suck, then he will get an appropiate answer, too. Likely without the ban though ^^ This depends on the chosen words and my mood at that time though. But don't get me wrong, we want to see the day coming where we have customers and maybe even obligations. But for that to happen we need WAY more manpower FIRST! And *poof* back to #weacceptpatches

Haiku code base has the nice feature of being able to copy masses of code from Linux. We cannot do that. We are no Linux. So this comparison is a bit improper IMO.