SMSS.exe CSRSS.exe AUTOCHK.exe

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sgtourism176

SMSS.exe CSRSS.exe AUTOCHK.exe

Post by sgtourism176 »

I want to ask about SMSS.EXE and CSRSS.EXE and AUTOCHK.EXE. I Windows 10 Pro these cannot be run in Win64. Actually, I can't start them at all.
They are some kind of native images of some kind. Does they work the same in ReactOS?

How do you compile these exe files? And how do you run them? What dynamic link libraries etc can be used?

And the topic name is to make some people at the "Why not make a Win9X clone" thread mad lol.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: SMSS.exe CSRSS.exe AUTOCHK.exe

Post by EmuandCo »

SMSS = Session Manager Subsystem
CSRSS = Client Server Runtime Subsystem
AUTOCHK = Auto Check Utility for NTFS

Yes, you cannot run these by double click. Why should you at all? These are system core components which run in background and are not even linked to anything making it possible to output a window or similar. Yes, we do the same.

Why would you even expect to see something when you start these by hand? In most cases you can't start a service executable by hand either.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

EmuandCo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:43 pm Yes, you cannot run these by double click. Why should you at all?
Heh I remember my first days of exploring Windows' system32 directory, I assumed too that every *.exe file has to show a window or something :lol:
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Have a look at this for a layman explanation:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... plications