user-agent

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Actually, almost every program that can be downloaded from Microsoft requires Genuine Windows Validation. Try downloading DirectX.

This is just one of the many programs that require validation, and as ReactOS becomes more complete, MS will surely consider requiring validation for all of its downloads.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Coviti wrote:Actually, almost every program that can be downloaded from Microsoft requires Genuine Windows Validation. Try downloading DirectX.

This is just one of the many programs that require validation, and as ReactOS becomes more complete, MS will surely consider requiring validation for all of its downloads.
DirectX is kinda part of Windows...
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Like I said, that's just one example. We'll have our own "DirectX". :D
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Windows media player has been harping over Genuine Windows validation lately too.

that is NOT a core component, no matter how much Microsoft wants to say otherwise.
steveh

The WGA

Post by steveh »

... is working with Firefox on windows, because after some reflexion time, MS understood that an alternative version, claimed by users for the firefox, is necessary. There are far more IE non-users in the windows world than MS thought when they first introduced WGA.

... WGA depending OS updates from MS are and should be useless for Reactos.

Only one small problem may occur:
standalone freeware from MS like Windows Media Player, is it WGA dependant, so it will refuse to install on reactos??

But this is only a very small problem; i prefer anyway opensource alternatives like the "classic media player" for use in wine or in reactos. Once Reactos being an everyday usable system, i don't think i will try to install the MS windows media player.

And who finally cares about IE installation requiring WGA? IE is the least necessary existing software for Reactos or for Wine! There are so fine alternatives for internet browser!
Phalanx

Re: The WGA

Post by Phalanx »

steveh wrote:Only one small problem may occur:
standalone freeware from MS like Windows Media Player, is it WGA dependant, so it will refuse to install on reactos??
Freeware? Maybe you should check up. WGA is used for parts that are "sold" under the windows licences. It is rather simple.

Should ReactOS support it? Well, maybe it should if you have a licence.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Phalanx wrote:It does, you just have to download and run a local program that gives you a code to enter into a form.
Slightly off topic, but the other day I had to download that software on my genuine winXP home while using IE7 and it told me i were runing an incompatable version of windows.
tscherno

Post by tscherno »

You could look at NMAP code, they analyze the behaviour of the TCP/IP Stack to specific packets to destinguish the OS.