React OS = Your OS (react OS ads)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tonik

Post by tonik »

AcetoliNe wrote:<...> and they simply did not understand. "Don't we have to pay anything?"<...>
What's the problem, just charge them, say, $5 a copy, and everyone is happy. It's perfectly legal to sell free software btw, that's one of the wonderful things about it :-)
reub2000

Re: React OS = Your OS (react OS ads)

Post by reub2000 »

Jaix wrote:
React_dude wrote:Post links or ad text here about React OS. heres mine: (so far)

React OS = Your OS.

It comes down to that. With Microsoft Windows compatability and pure stability, with the right price why would you not use React OS? What is React OS? React OS is a free, open source, stable, networking Operating system for YOUR computer.
"Pure stability" You are talking about version 2.5 not 0.2.5 right? :)
Exactly, we don't want anyone trying the current version of ROS out and getting a bad taste. Wait until it's at least a usable replacment for windows.
PolyVector

Post by PolyVector »

How about this for an ad?:

[ external image ]
Add could read: "Maybe it's time for something better..."
Alternative: "Run! Don't walk to ReactOS!"
ConMan

Post by ConMan »

ReactOS: Because viruses aren't our friends.

ReactOS: Because Gates already has enough money.

ReactOS: Because my time is valuable.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Isn't Bill sexehhh in that picture ? :)
Cephalaspis

Post by Cephalaspis »

ReactOS: open the windows to a new world

sorry for my bad english if something is wrong :P
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Sounds alot like SaMBa and "Opening Windows to a wider world".

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

ReactOS - Bullies aren't o.k. for your children, why should they be o.k. for you.

ReactOS - Newton's 3rd law coming to a desktop near you.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Nice to see you again!
mammlouk wrote:ReactOS - Bullies aren't OK for your children, why should they be OK for your computer?
Sounds better IMO.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

uniQ wrote:Nice to see you again!
mammlouk wrote:ReactOS - Bullies aren't OK for your children, why should they be OK for your computer?
Sounds better IMO.

-uniQ
Thanks,
I've been pretty busy with work, school and family, so I don't usually have time to post. I have some more extra computer stuff lying around lately after an upgrade though, so I'm looking forward to setting up a dedicated ROS testing machine.
syllogism

Why all the linux bashes?!

Post by syllogism »

Sorry to come in a bit late(quite a few posts late), but why all the bashes towards linux?!

Linux may not be for everyone, but it's certainly not a bag of trash, and it certainly IS becoming a much better alternative for desktop users. Not to mention the fact that a large majority of the open source software available today is somehow related to Linux.

Yes, Linux is not windows. THAT'S THE POINT.

I can gauruntee that if more people were exposed to linux as much as windows - they would come to realize the benefits as well as the downfalls for each operating system.

Reactos, in My opinion, has a very good opportunity in this area. Reactos intends to provide a user-friendly interface such as windows - but being open source, as it is, reactos could also implement many features that just wouldn't work based on how windows was designed. I personally would love it if they had a decent command line. cmd works when I need it to - but bash is so much better. The cygwin port isn't half bad - but I think that's kind of sad that such functionality isn't a part of the operating system itself.

As a final note. Linux may have been originally designed as a clone for Unix, but it has evolved to be so much more. It is a great operating system for servers, but regular desktop's are becoming more and more comfortable. KDE provides amazing integration - and while I dont use it myself, I think KDE provides the kind of interface that many windows users crave when they first switch to Linux. On the other hand - they will be delighted to know that they can use a lighter window manager if their resources are a bit low such as Fluxbox.

Reactos is a good thing, and I too, get a bit excited when I think about how good this OS could be - but design is an important task - and I honestly don't think everything should be done to be like MS! Although some things are necessary for application compatibility, not everything MS does is done the best way.
The only reason windows is useful is because it's the only OS that can run almost all windows applications :)
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

@syllogism

Speaking from experience, Linux is a great server OS (I currently use it for a router, a file- and webserver), but it's a lousy desktop OS.

Why, you ask? It's because it's a server OS. You're not trying to tell us that Windows would make a good server OS, are you?

The benefits of Linux over Windows as a desktop OS? Why yes, it's more stable and better designed in many regards, but that's mainly due to being a server OS, and this still doesn't make Linux the better OS on the desktop.

What's so exciting about ROS is that it has the potential to offer all the benefits of Windows plus those of Linux, *BSD, BeOS and any other useful features OSS developers can come up with to make the ultimate desktop OS.

If ROS manages to become competitive to Windows, it'll have reached the 'embrace'-stage, at which point it can a) begin to take over Windows marketshare and b) extend the OS, which might ultimately kill off, or at least diminish MSFT's grasp on the desktop OS market.

I realize that this won't happen until many years into the future, but the point I'm trying to make is that ROS has a very bright future as a desktop OS, while Linux has a bright future as a server/mainframe/supercomputer/embedded OS.

The problem with Linux supporters is probably that to them there exists only one tool (Linux), so every problem has only one solution. If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
syllogism

Linux on the Desktop

Post by syllogism »

I agree with your opinion about Reactos having a great potential to become popular on the desktop, I have absolutely no doubt in that. I know many windows users myself that would drop windows in a heart beat as long as they didn't have to learn how to use an OS that wasn't very similar(like switching from 2000 to XP for instance) to their windows box.

HOWEVER, I still don't agree with your opinion about Linux not being suited for desktop use. Just because Linux is a great OS for servers does NOT mean that they can't also be a great OS for desktops. As a matter of fact, I feel comforted that my OS is just as robust as millions of servers out there. There are so many distrobutions out there right now that aim for desktop users as a matter of fact, Redhat, Suse, and Mandrake are the ones that are at the top of my head - All of which tend to stick to using graphical interfaces for just about everything. The point that I'm trying to get at, is that Linux may be a very good server, but it also provides MANY options for the general desktop user as well. As I've stated before, KDE is quite capable of giving a desktop user the feeling of integration; that everything is right there with the click of a button.

I will argue that point all day, Linux DOES provide such functionality - the users are just too familiar with the way windows functions and do not wish to change! Reactos has great potential, there is no question of that. The only question is whether or not it will run into some of the similar problems as the linux community has - meaning that I hope that fear to change from windows doesn't stop people from using Reactos.
The only reason windows is useful is because it's the only OS that can run almost all windows applications :)
Elledan

Re: Linux on the Desktop

Post by Elledan »

syllogism wrote: HOWEVER, I still don't agree with your opinion about Linux not being suited for desktop use.
I didn't say that Linux can't be used as a desktop OS, just that it isn't a very good one.
Just because Linux is a great OS for servers does NOT mean that they can't also be a great OS for desktops. As a matter of fact, I feel comforted that my OS is just as robust as millions of servers out there.
Yes, but not many servers out there are used for playing games and running all kinds of rogue applications on them. A desktop OS isn't used in the same way as a server OS. You merely have to take a look at the general directory layout of Linux/Unix/*BSD and Windows to understand this.
There are so many distrobutions out there right now that aim for desktop users as a matter of fact, Redhat, Suse, and Mandrake are the ones that are at the top of my head - All of which tend to stick to using graphical interfaces for just about everything.
And who still hopelessly fail at replicating the user experience of Windows, and MacOS X for that matter. I gave up on SuSE 9.1 after a few days of trying (not for the first time!) to turn one of my systems into a Linux desktop system. Setting up a server with Linux is a breeze, but a continuing, aching pain with a desktop system.
The point that I'm trying to get at, is that Linux may be a very good server, but it also provides MANY options for the general desktop user as well.
Which I won't deny.
As I've stated before, KDE is quite capable of giving a desktop user the feeling of integration; that everything is right there with the click of a button.
Until KDE replicates the Windows Control Panel and all of the functionality it provides, or this functionality is provided in some other manner (YAST 2 still isn't there yet), it's like getting kicked in the stomach every time you're reminded once again that you're using a server OS.

Either the entire system should be configurable from a single, standardized interface, or one might just as well stick to editing text files.
Sadly, between SuSE 6.3 and 9.1 not much has changed in this regard.
I will argue that point all day, Linux DOES provide such functionality - the users are just too familiar with the way windows functions and do not wish to change! Reactos has great potential, there is no question of that. The only question is whether or not it will run into some of the similar problems as the linux community has - meaning that I hope that fear to change from windows doesn't stop people from using Reactos.
The only complaint I expect to hear from new ROS users, is that it's 'just like Windows'.
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

HAVE U TRIED FEDORA, LINUX IS GOOD ON DESKTOPS BETTER THEN WIN$HIT