How to install ROS directly from disc?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: How to install ROS directly from disc?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

In time it will be possible to boot from USB, it is possible now in a limited fashion - dependant upon the hardware in your device and the version of ROS you are installing... Search for booting reactOS from USB on t'net and see how you get on.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

sgtourism wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 am I want to test ROS with real hardware - i have old disc for this. My problem is, that I have to waste new CD for every new build ->My question is: Is it possible install ROS directly from HD?+how
This will be necessary for installing ROS to old computers without CD-rom (for example my notebook).

Help me
Sgtourism

hi
ReactOS 0.4.14 is still in the alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.
if you can get them you can use cd RW discs if not you can use a USB boot disk I recommend crate a bootable USB using the ram boot option
https://reactos.org/wiki/LiveUSB Note you need the hard drive formatted using the MBR partition scheme
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Using Rufus and a ReactOS iso works too btw. If the USB controller and our stack work fine together
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
silvicky

Post by silvicky »

Partition your disk like this:
<10MB empty><sda1><sda2><sda3>
Install Linux to sda1 and use Grub2 as bootloader.
(Linux here is for Grub2 config and ReactOS download)
Edit Grub2 config file and add menu entries to allow it to boot freeldr.sys in sda2 and sda3.
Now, put freeldr.ini and bootcd.iso in sda3, and edit freeldr.ini to allow it to load bootcd as ramdisk.
Reboot, boot to sda3, now you can run ReactOS setup, install it to sda2, but DO NOT write MBR! Just write VBR or write nothing.
Reboot, boot to sda2, it's done now. Details can be found on ReactOS wiki and elsewhere.
This way you don't need another PC or USB disk.