What is a definitive objective of respond os?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zanewiller

What is a definitive objective of respond os?

Post by zanewiller »

The prompt objective, which probably implies in a couple of years, is by all accounts a steady single center 32 cycle Windows NT around 2003 viable working framework with a greatest addressable genuine memory of 4 GB. Note in 2003 Windows had 64 cycle and multi center ability. So the objective is for the most part to be steady 32 cycle on a solitary center as a subset of Windows around 2003. Which on the off chance that it didn't take such a long time, would be extraordinary. I wish some contributor would assist these folks, they with needing more designers imo.
PeterLinuxer

Re: What is a definitive objective of respond os?

Post by PeterLinuxer »

What's so bad about such an objective? And why does that imply that the developers are bad designers?

And what the hell is respond os?

Also I must admit I haven't heard of those "cycles" before.
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
middings

Post by middings »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:35 pm ...what the hell is respond os?

Also I must admit I haven't heard of those "cycles" before.
I suspect that the native language of the OP, zanewiller, is not English. Perhaps zanewiller must translate these reactos.org web into zanewiller's native language. Zanewiller wrote a post in zanewiller's native language. Zanewiller translated the post to English then posted the translated version of zanewiller's post here.

The word react is sometimes synonymous with (has the same meaning as) "respond". A round-trip translation from English to zanewiller's native language then back to English could account for these and similar substitutions:
  • React OS --> respond os
  • 32-bit word length --> 32 cycle
  • multiprocessor --> multi center
  • single processor --> solitary center
  • the present objective --> the prompt objective
  • real (physical) memory --> genuine memory
  • only --> steady

The React OS project welcomes participants whose native language is not English. All React OS project participants must accommodate people who struggle to understand and write English.

I agree with what I believe zanewiller wished to communicate in the last two sentences of zanewiller's post. The more quickly the goal of the ReactOS project is achieved, the more extraordinary that achievement will be. If the ReactOS project received additional talented contributors that would be a great help.

In my opinion (IMO) if achieving a beta level release of ReactOS takes five, even ten, more years then such an achievement by the ReactOS team will still be extraordinary. Instead of passively hoping that additional talented contributors find and join the ReactOS project, the project's supporters and well-wishers can each contribute what work (programming, bug reporting, bug tracing, and documenting) they can.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Thanks for translating.

And as you agree with him, I ask you, too:
What's so bad about ReactOS's design?

Greetings
Peter
middings

Post by middings »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:06 pm What's so bad about ReactOS's design?
How did you conclude that the original poster (OP), zanewiller, believes ReactOS's design is bad? I did not conclude that. I believe zanewiller wished that the ReactOS project was closer to its goal and that more developers would join the project.

Rocket engineers have a saying: To make a big rocket that flies, start with a small rocket that flies. The ReactOS developer team intends to build a working Microsoft Windows XP substitute that runs on a single 32-bit processor before moving on to symmetric multiprocessing and a 64-bit implementation. Of course, all developers may choose to work on those advanced features if they wish. Some developers do despite the difficulties encountered because ReactOS is not yet feature complete.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

middings wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:13 pm
PeterLinuxer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:06 pm What's so bad about ReactOS's design?
How did you conclude that the original poster (OP), zanewiller, believes ReactOS's design is bad?
How about this: "they with needing more designers imo"?

Greetings
Peter
middings

Post by middings »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 pm ..."they with needing more designers imo"?
Ha! That's no criticism of ReactOS itself. Every fan of ReactOS wishes that the dev team was bigger, faster, stronger, etc.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

middings wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:21 am
PeterLinuxer wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 pm ..."they with needing more designers imo"?
Ha! That's no criticism of ReactOS itself. Every fan of ReactOS wishes that the dev team was bigger, faster, stronger, etc.
Wishing leads to nowhere. If people are wishing that ReactOS was stable and usable then they should start acting by now. In the end we ReactOS developers are people just like you, we ain't gods or anything. We all learned programming, coding and everything needed to contribute for the project -- programming is a crafted skill as with anything else.

If someone only hopes that something will happen without acting upon then that is doomed to fail. It's really simple as that.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
middings

Re: What is the goal of ReactOS?

Post by middings »

Fraizeraust wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:48 pm Wishing leads to nowhere.
I agree. In these forums I avoid complaining that features I desire are absent, progress is too slow, etc. Such complaints show disrespect to the developers and direct participants in the ReactOS project.

All that said, I do not believe the OP (original poster) intended any disrespect. I choose to believe that the OP tried to express desire for the success of the ReactOS project. I do not believe the OP intended to belittle either the developers or the project.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

middings wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:53 am All that said, I do not believe the OP (original poster) intended any disrespect. I choose to believe that the OP tried to express desire for the success of the ReactOS project. I do not believe the OP intended to belittle either the developers or the project.
It is just that we devs are tired being constantly reminded that "ReactOS sucks cuz Alpha, hurrr durr ReactOS development slow, hurr durr OS buggy, hurr durr devs slow like snails", so much that the view is blurry on determining if someone has a legitimate concern for the project on how to speed its development or belittling the project.

Every software starts off as buggy, crappy, unstable and with bugs during its inception. There's no such thing as a perfect or finished software right from the start (apart that "finished" doesn't mix well with software since a piece of software always evolves with time). It is just that ReactOS has an unfortunate stance of being severely understaffed therefore development is relatively steady.

The blood that powers ReactOS is volunteering. Both the developers of the team and contributors alike devote their bit of their spare time voluntarily to give life to this project, without expecting anything in return. More particularly, not everyone of the development team is a programmer by career, certainly I'm one of those guys.

Programming is not my thing, I am a CNC machinist and I operate CNC machines for a living. Programming is only a hobby of mine and I chose to expand my hobby by learning more stuff such as reverse engineering, Windows internals, getting help from other ReactOS developers, etc. As I said, I am just a regular person just like you and everyone else. What is the difference is that I'm trying to do something.

This is the power of volunteering. If people expect a change in ReactOS just like they expect a change on this world and their lives, they must move their ass and do something. We devs don't want a pat in the head or hugs, all we want is just the time of the day. People who expect things ready on the table and complain that it's not actually the case are just creepy assholes with a flaunting ego.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
middings

Post by middings »

Fraizeraust wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm It is just that we devs are tired being constantly reminded that "ReactOS sucks cuz Alpha, hurrr durr ReactOS development slow, hurr durr OS buggy, hurr durr devs slow like snails", so much that the view is blurry on determining if someone has a legitimate concern for the project on how to speed its development or belittling the project.
Yes, I occasionally see posts that fit your characterization here in the ReactOS forums. I wince when I see them. I'm not a dev so I can only almost feel your pain.

Some of us can and do volunteer in a big way. Some of us only contribute small efforts toward moving the ReactOS project forward. Some of us can only be in the cheering section. Some in the cheering section may in their excitement for the ReactOS project's goals call out "Go, go, go!" and some will yell and shout angrily in frustration. The former are not criticizing the man in the arena for being slow rather they desire to encourage the achievers and show their excitement for and appreciation of the efforts made. The latter is nothing but a critic who dogs those who are in the arena and spreads discouragement.
The blood that powers ReactOS is volunteering. Both the developers of the team and contributors alike devote their bit of their spare time voluntarily to give life to this project, without expecting anything in return. More particularly, not everyone of the development team is a programmer by career, certainly I'm one of those guys.
This is the power of volunteering. ... We devs don't want a pat in the head or hugs, all we want is just the time of the day.
That's very modest of you, Frazieraust. Still, everybody needs at least a bit of their earned egoboo (non-monetary reward from community response) from time to time. And if justice is rendering to each person what that person deserves, then justice requires offering gratitude when deserved.

{quote]People who expect things ready on the table and complain that it's not actually the case are just creepy assholes with a flaunting ego.[/quote]

I agree.