Security Software

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

florian

Re: Security Software

Post by florian »

GoBusto wrote: [...] Once again, I'm going to play the "Distro CDs solve everything" card - bundle, say, ClamWin and Spybot in with the default install and you're done. [...]
I couldn't find any hint that Spybot Search & Destroy would be opensource. And as it is copyrighted to the Safer Networking Ltd. it can't be bundled.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

florian wrote:
GoBusto wrote: [...] Once again, I'm going to play the "Distro CDs solve everything" card - bundle, say, ClamWin and Spybot in with the default install and you're done. [...]
I couldn't find any hint that Spybot Search & Destroy would be opensource. And as it is copyrighted to the Safer Networking Ltd. it can't be bundled.
Nope, Spybot SnD is not Open Source. But you could still shove it onto a distro CD - you just wouldn't have a Free-As-In-Freedom distro any more.

You could not, however, include Spybot SnD as part of ReactOS itself - only with a distro, as a separate program.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Our #1 concern is getting ROS working on all real hardware out there as well as making it able to run windows apps/drivers.

Only after that we may think about improving the existing design.

DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

what about moon secure AV - http://www.moonsecure.com/

Point-X

Post by Point-X »

As I have already mentioned in another thread, I think it would be useful to have a way to erase files by a secure overwriting method and respectively the possibility to destroy already deleted data correctly with a secure overwriting method.

florian

Post by florian »

Point-X wrote:As I have already mentioned in another thread, I think it would be useful to have a way to erase files by a secure overwriting method and respectively the possibility to destroy already deleted data correctly with a secure overwriting method.
"Eraser is an advanced security tool (for Windows), which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. Works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 2003 Server and DOS. Eraser is Free software and its source code is released under GNU General Public License."

Maybe this one might help and could be integrated within this download -app of ReactOS.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok Reactos is not exactly copying the Linux Distribution model.

Closest you would get is a way of reactos downloader working with a new live/install cd production tool to produce a disk user wants.

So basically not a Distribution. Its here the core and some tools to roll your own model. Working to that is valid.

There will be things inside NT design that have to be looked at. Remember OS's like Linux and Solaras are quite virus resistant without a anti-virus installed. These are things the NT design has to be looked at being extended so anti-virus and other tools like it are not the be all and end all of OS protection.

Model of Anti-viruses is flawed. You have to know about the virus to find it or at least part of a virus. The reverse model solaris and Linux model you know what applications should be doing. If a application does something its not meant to be doing kill it. Kinda makes virus development for the platform little bit more tricky. One wrong step and viruses operation is stopped.

This is more OS design upgrading to be looked at before version 1.0 and after ROS is kind operational.
Ok Reactos is not exactly copying the Linux Distribution model.

Closest you would get is a way of reactos downloader working with a new live/install cd production tool to produce a disk user wants.

So basically not a Distribution. Its here the core and some tools to roll your own model. Working to that is valid.

There will be things inside NT design that have to be looked at. Remember OS's like Linux and Solaras are quite virus resistant without a anti-virus installed. These are things the NT design has to be looked at being extended so anti-virus and other tools like it are not the be all and end all of OS protection.

Model of Anti-viruses is flawed. You have to know about the virus to find it or at least part of a virus. The reverse model solaris and Linux model you know what applications should be doing. If a application does something its not meant to be doing kill it. Kinda makes virus development for the platform little bit more tricky. One wrong step and viruses operation is stopped.

This is more OS design upgrading to be looked at before version 1.0 and after ROS is kind operational.

Point-X

Post by Point-X »

@florian: I am aware of this software. But anyway I think there should exist a small default command-line tool for secure overwriting in ROS itself. Windows provides a similar solution, called cipher.exe to overwrite the free disk space.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Linux provides one of its own as a mount option. On the secure overwriting.

There are more important things to worry about. Currently ros does not have functional multi user secuirty.

Do you know the most common screw up when someone overwrite a directory is. Normally the files they are destroying are spread all over there OS as temp files and the like. Lot of cases temp files that have been disconnected from that folder because they were already deleted.

After the fact clean up only way to be sure after the fact is to use something like dban that takes out the complete disk. Or use a tool that does all free space in the disk drives as well. cipher is a defective way of doing it.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

DGMurdockIII wrote:what about moon secure AV - http://www.moonsecure.com/
0 known viruses is a nice status for how many viruses it knows. :| But that was because it took a while to init the DB on my end.
Last edited by coldReactive on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

z180

Post by z180 »

ReactOS is not secure or even stable,this thread is going to nothing, get SELinux or OpenBSD.
(my humble opinion)