ROS 0.4.14 LiveCD flagged by Windows Defender

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

ROS 0.4.14 LiveCD flagged by Windows Defender

Post by DOSGuy »

When I downloaded the LiveCD for 0.4.14, Windows defender flagged it as Win32/Uwamson.A!ml. Is anyone else getting this? False positives could scare away users.
Uwamson.png
Uwamson.png (17.33 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
binarymaster

Re: ROS 0.4.14 LiveCD flagged by Windows Defender

Post by binarymaster »

DOSGuy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:44 pm False positives could scare away users.
Sure, but what we can do if ReactOS is unwanted by Microsoft?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

In my search for information about Win32/Uwamson.A!ml, I found users reporting false positives for this program in other projects, and the developers were able to recompile or repackage or something.

The normal ISO wasn't flagged. I don't know what's special about the Live CD and what specifically is being flagged but, if it was my project, I'd want to know about it and try to do something about it.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Windows Defender on W11 says there is something maybe unwanted. Problem is it's not even logged and I can unpack the ZIP AND ISO and nothing stops me?!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

W10 let me quarantine, remove, or allow the software.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

FPs always scare users but we don't have users, just testers.

A recent version of ReactOS is always likely to upset an a/v tool. My own VB6/.NET programs also do so when newly recompiled. That is an a/v scanner's job to get upset at something it does not recognise - or simply does not like.

Turn off defender. Test. Turn back on again.

When you use an A/V tool it is down to the user to report it as a FP. That is what I do with Avast/Malwarebytes/Clam AV and always have done.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

It's a false positive, it's a known issue, it's because of the DrWatson base.