9X Emulation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Coviti wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't make it a habit of polling gamers to see how many use 9x only games. The first game that comes to mind is RollerCoaster Tycoon. This game was extremely popular, but when run on XP, (Without Windows 98 compatibility) it would produce an "Unknown Windows Driver" error. There is a patch that supposedly works, but I've tried it and it doesn't. Anyone who plays this game is in my situation.

Also, FreeWin95 is dead and will never live again. Someone should try again...sure 9x is unstable, but for these programs it would be even better than a compatibility mode.
I have used that game on many versions of NT5.1 with no problems. I am not saying it should not be down, however, I think it is much more important to do things which get 60% of apps going, which is better for 99% of users, than do something first which gets 1% of apps working (which are replaced already) for <1% of users.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Phalanx wrote:I have used that game on many versions of NT5.1 with no problems. I am not saying it should not be down, however, I think it is much more important to do things which get 60% of apps going, which is better for 99% of users, than do something first which gets 1% of apps working (which are replaced already) for <1% of users.
Definitely! I never said that this should be high priority. In fact, I think it should come after 1.0. This is just another suggestion that would widen ReactOS's application compatibility.

And another thought, if such a compatibility mode was made, another free OS could possibly be based largely on it, such as ReactOS on Wine. Okay, don't start the old BSOD jokes. It's just an idea, and possibly a very naive, and unintelligent one! After all I'm only a user, and not very knowledgeable about such things.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Another inportant game to add to the win9x only list is mechwarior 2. There are several others that will refuse to run simply because they detect winNT and decide it is not compatable without realy testing it. I had some idea quake and/or need for speed had a problem (i know quake now has many ports, but other games based on that engine will not)
reactux

Post by reactux »

if my memory is good wine has some 9x branch