The one killer app missing from React OS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadWolf

Re: The one killer app missing from React OS

Post by MadWolf »

scottmccarthy945 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:43 am I just don't understand why ReactOS can't get proper funding from a large company like Oracle or Red Hat. Or maybe Amazon who can use it to host Windows apps without spending a fortune on WIndows licenses. Why can't ReactOS find a company to invest in the 1400 engineers you need to finish this OS in a reasonable amount of time? I have to imagine someone like Amazon or any other company that is paying a fortune in WIndows licenses would prefer to invest in the project and have an open source Windows desktop long term over continuing to pay millions in licensing every year.

Is this not possible? I just cannot imagine there is not a company out there that would love to see this project come out of beta and use the OS large scale.
I can think of reasons why a company may not want to invest in ReactOS but this is getting off-topic
xeamcopz

Post by xeamcopz »

I assure everyone that I am not taking any of this conversation personally, I'm just disappointed at the negativity and lack of vision. I get it though, the project is struggling to get past Alpha and someone shows up with a lofty suggestion. Maybe in the future just pat the next guy on the head and politely say sorry too busy right now.
Last edited by xeamcopz on Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There is no negativity. Just pointing out facts, people just don't like being gainsaid.

FYI - ReactOS is not struggling to get past Alpha. It is simply massively in Alpha and will be for a long time yet. No-one in the team expects it to leave Alpha any time soon. That is the nature of the beast that is Windows. Hugely complex. I imagine ReactOS may never leave Alpha but that doesn't mean it won't be useful.

A pat on the head might be a nice idea but everyone deserves a response and even a correction from time to time.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

And what about Russia ? Investing in Reactos would be a great opportunity for Putin to give a big wipe to the whole West.
He could do this secretly over some camouflage companies....even a "simple" million would have a great impact.
Putin has a lot of consulters, why don't they consider investing in Reactos ?

And all russian companies and Government Institutions would benefit from a free open Windows without possible backdoors from the "enemy".
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Feel free to ask him. We won't. We have no big interest in money and losing our reputation completely for it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
florian

Post by florian »

Putin's consulters might prefer Deepin, a Chinese out-of-the-box Linux distribution, or any other Linux or BSD distribution.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

wildschwein wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:16 pm And what about Russia ? Investing in Reactos would be a great opportunity for Putin to give a big wipe to the whole West.
He could do this secretly over some camouflage companies....even a "simple" million would have a great impact.
Putin has a lot of consulters, why don't they consider investing in Reactos ?

And all russian companies and Government Institutions would benefit from a free open Windows without possible backdoors from the "enemy".
First of all, more Russian guff. Let's just put that to bed now eh?

Your last point agreed, everyone would benefit from a free open Windows without possible "back doors".
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
pottercruze

Post by pottercruze »

I think a mere 10 million would push the Reactos development process and the whole thing around it so that Windows will be replaced by Reactos for private users within a few years. Probably a million is enough ...
Last edited by pottercruze on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

10 million years? You are being optimistic.
dark

Post by dark »

florian wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:57 pm Putin's consulters might prefer Deepin, a Chinese out-of-the-box Linux distribution, or any other Linux or BSD distribution.
Who else is old enough to remember when China blocked new technologies from entering and tried to promote their own Linux distro before the PC market was established? It ended with the entire country pirating Windows XP. Chinese users will use Deepin because they have to for government reasons, but average people tolerate Linux, not prefer it. (And all the BSDs and other POSIX clones just bring the same problems to the table)
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 pm Feel free to ask him. We won't. We have no big interest in money and losing our reputation completely for it.
This.

And having "Russians" on the project is a very different affair from having "present-day Russia" on the project - this is a software project, not a political project. Russia would have been an interesting sponsor in the past, and one day may be so in the not immediate future, but right now, and in the foreseeable closer future, all it could bring you is a special place on a sanctions list.

On the topic: personally, I believe the "biggest danger" for ReactOS would be possibly losing the connection to modern browsing - even an experimental hobby OS, if it cannot get onto the internet, will be further niche-fied. Ever heard of O3ONE? No? http://www.o3one.org/ - here it is... if you don't envy that position, a web browser will be necessary. You don't have a "killer app" that would "cause adoption", in fact, not having regular releases for a while now (NOT talking nightlies) is a much bigger hindrance, in my view, than the lack of any particular "app". Now, given the very limited resources - "keeping up the hobby in virtual machines" (an honorable one, too) + "keeping some sort of web browser" may be really the only viable path for ReactOS in the foreseeable closer future.