Need SSL library recommendations

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lm8

Need SSL library recommendations

Post by lm8 »

I build a lot of the software I use from source code. I switched to LibreSSL around 2017 when OpenSSL kept needing more prerequisites to successfully build on a Windows compatible system. I've been patching LibreSSL to work on older versions of Windows and on ReactOS since then. I'm wondering if I should continue to do so since they keep adding new functions such as those that require Windows 10 compatible APIs or whether I should switch to a more portable SSL implementation. I've been reading that ReactOS uses mbedtls and I've been able to build curl successfully with it. However, it does seem to be missing some of the functionality of LibreSSL and OpenSSL. I've also been able to build BearSSL. However, when I did so, there weren't many applications using it. I"ve since read that support was added to curl for that as well. Haven't tested it yet. I mainly use curl, lynx, D+ and netrider along with a few other programs that require SSL support. I build my own certs too following the general Linux from Scratch procedure: https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/v ... ke-ca.html I can replace some of the functionality the script needs from libressl or openssl with other programs, but haven't been able to figure out how to replace all of it. Debating whether I should continue to patch libressl or switch to another SSL library.

Would be very interested to hear recommendations on SSL library alternatives, what programs will build using them and if there are better procedures for generating your own certficate bundles from scratch that can be used with curl. Thanks.