What is the priority on USB keyboard/mouse support?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

irwazr

What is the priority on USB keyboard/mouse support?

Post by irwazr »

Hi devs,

I realise all projects have their list of priorities on what needs to be worked on first and last, etc. Just wondering what is the priority and progress on the development for USB keyboard and mouse support?

Thanks.
dizt3mp3r

Re: What is the priority on USB keyboard/mouse support?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The priority is set thus: If you want to work on it urgently then it is high priority for you.

The ReactOS team know that it is important - but so is everything else.

If it is urgent for you then: Code it yourself, sponsor it via large amounts of cash (if it is so urgent) and that might inspire one of the ReactOS devs to code it further - or employ your own C coder that understands the Windows o/s internals and pay him to code it for you.

Apart from that there is no priority apart from the fact that it would be a nice-to-have, so developers are on occasion working on it rather hard.

Second part of your question, progress is steady but not as fast as you nor anyone else would like.

This might sound facetious but it is the truth.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
irwazr

Post by irwazr »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:01 am ...If it is urgent for you then: Code it yourself ... progress is steady but not as fast as you nor anyone else would like.
Where in my OP did you read that I was trying to complain or speed anyone up?

Unless I'm misreading the intended tone of your reply, I'm unsure why your response comes across so frustrated? I'm assuming you've had other people asking similar questions, but with a much more impatient tone?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

irwazr wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:59 am Just wondering what is the priority and progress on the development for USB keyboard and mouse support?
ReactOS has bug-driven development, so if you want some specific hardware to work, you need to create valid bug reports for it attaching debug logs.

From virtual machine perspective, USB keyboard and mouse support has no known problems, so there is nothing to do.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

irwazr wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:14 am Unless I'm misreading the intended tone of your reply
You are. I'm being very straight forward. These are sincere responses.

This is a community driven project, community means them, me and you. How far it progresses is down to you and the work you put in. If you are a coder then get stuck in and code. If you are not then it is best to set your expectations not too high. Roadmaps are not in place in this project as you will soon find out if you stick around. It is a case of - if you want it done, do it yourself.

Think of it this way, you drive to the end of a road and you find a gang of men working slowly to extend it. You ask one of them, "when will you complete the road?". One of them chucks you a shovel.

That might sound unusual but I promise you that's the way this particular project runs.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
irwazr

Post by irwazr »

Please take this as constructive feedback.

Given this is a community-driven project, you may want to consider changing the way you reply to potential community contributors if you want to grow your buy-in. I asked a friendly question without expectations, and your response told me to adjust my expectations, and overall left me feeling anything other than encouraged to consider contributing my free time and resources. A simple reply saying "Progress is happening but progress is slow, would you be interested in contributing?" will serve your project's cause far better.

Whether you agree with my feedback or not, it's your project. I personally never speak to my stakeholders or devs in the way that you did to me, as it's not conducive to closing projects successfully and on time.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You have to understand the quite straight way of a reply. Recently we had quite a few... corner cases that were NOT polite and DEMANDED that we have to stop every doing just to fix everything for their needs. This might have changed the recent way of communication. Sorry for that. Criticism reached the mods and I have to admit from time to time it's a bit over the top indeed...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

irwazr wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:59 am Hi devs,

I realise all projects have their list of priorities on what needs to be worked on first and last, etc. Just wondering what is the priority and progress on the development for USB keyboard and mouse support?

Thanks.
Usually if you are testing a hardware setup, and then it fails, you should be able to perform these steps:
1) indetify the bug or misbehavior
2) get (if possible) any debug output related
3) look if that specific bug was reported in the past, if the case, you can add your own info and description
4) be patient, very very patient, we (testers) and they (developers) are working hard on specific areas according to the personal criteria of every developer, for example Katayama is working on their own for getting full japanese support.
5) if fixing the bug is very urgent for you, you'll be always free to code it yourself, or hiring a developer that could do that work.

But always remember, not everyone has the same hardware setup, sometimes it can work, in others fail and crash, that's the reason we don't have a quick solution for every case, and even, fixing one can break another