Run Windows 7 on ReactOS (Bochs)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ret7020

Run Windows 7 on ReactOS (Bochs)

Post by ret7020 »

I was recently able to run a lightweight build of Windows 7 (about 700mb) using bochs on ReactOS 0.4.15.
It was installed, of course, for a long time, but it seems to me there are 2 reasons for this:
I issued only 1300 MB of RAM, and when I tried to issue more, there was an error with registers. And the second reason is that the Bochs program itself is not very fast.
The installation took about an hour.
Of the problems that I noticed, it is only the VM cursor lag. That is, when I capture the cursor, it is impossible to use it, it is wildly stupid.
What else have I tried to do in terms of virtualization:
Qemu - installed, but when I try to launch any iso image, I get a register error.
I am also trying to install VirtualBox.
The old, third version worked best, everything came up to the moment of creating a virtual hard disk, but it was not created, if you skip this stage and try to create a VM without a disk, then an error also occurs when creating a machine.
But there is a question, is there planned to support NT 6 (and higher) applications and drivers?
I read somewhere in the reactos wiki that it seems like yes, but this is not the main goal.
It's just that even if you don't touch on various software, which requires at least Windows 7, then there are problems with the drivers.
shunesburg

Re: Run Windows 7 on ReactOS (Bochs)

Post by shunesburg »

If you want to use NT6 support, you need to go before in the proprieties of the application and choose the compatibility system with Vista or upper, if I'm not wrong.