SFI systems support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

binarymaster

Re: SFI systems support

Post by binarymaster »

Xen wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm Ramdisk boot is supported on WinXP, but it is supported on ReactOS too?
Yes, ReactOS can be booted from Ramdisk, and yes, it's preferred method of booting when we don't have a suitable driver(s) for I/O yet (especially for new hardware ports).
Xen wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm Also there is any restrictions about using public code from linux or EDK in ReactOS?
Depends on the license, but at least code licensed under GPL / BSD / MIT should be okay.

There's a lot of 3rd party code in ReactOS as well, under different licenses.

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:36 pm
Xen wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm P.P.S. I still unable to find any "Attachments" tab.
Likely because you are still in approval mode here.
How much posts are needed to escape this mode? :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

10 I think
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Illen

Post by Illen »

Xen wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm P.S. Noone else have any SFI device?
I have Teclast P89.
Xen

Post by Xen »

Illen wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:36 pm I have Teclast P89.
Did you rooted it and interested in ROS running? Can you dump SFI table, list of devices (lspci, lsusb, etc..), any firmware packs/dumps?
Xen

Post by Xen »

I found gma600 video BIOS and successfully run it on my device. Now it should be possible to use common VGA drivers.
Also I trying to run ROS UEFI bootloader, but getting errors on VirtualBox. It is possible to use UEFI bootloader or it is yet another broken thing?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Xen wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:40 pm Also I trying to run ROS UEFI bootloader, but getting errors on VirtualBox. It is possible to use UEFI bootloader or it is yet another broken thing?
ROS' own UEFI bootloader never was in working state, it was even excluded from builds because nobody maintained it for long time.

However there are other solutions: https://reactos.org/wiki/User:Illen/UEFI_Boot
Xen

Post by Xen »

Hello.
SFI-compatible freeldr is almost complete. Exactly I did:
SFI system detection, parsing memory map, stubs for unexisted devices, etc;
Loading VGA BIOS image as multiboot module;
MCFG PCI and SD/MMC host controller support (port from EDK + ARC compatibility layer + universal partition support). Now freeldr can boot from SD/MMC devices.
All this code add ~50 kb to size of freeldr.
Also I found some bugs in freeldr fs.c, fixed version is attached to this post.
Should I post other code?
Attachments
fs.zip
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
middings

Post by middings »

Xen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm...Also I found some bugs in freeldr fs.c...
Xen, I looked in Jira. I could not find any bug reports there regarding freeldr that you wrote.
Illen

Post by Illen »

Thank you very much for working on the SFI port!
Xen wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:50 pm Did you rooted it and interested in ROS running? Can you dump SFI table, list of devices (lspci, lsusb, etc..), any firmware packs/dumps?
Yes I'm interested, not rooted yet but it is possible. Sorry for the delay, if you still need anything I will look into it when I have some time (in few weeks probably).
Xen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm All this code add ~50 kb to size of freeldr.
Also I found some bugs in freeldr fs.c, fixed version is attached to this post.
Should I post other code?
Sure. However if you want to send it upstream, it is better to create a PR at ReactOS GitHub so that it can be reviewed by developers.

Also a semi-offtopic question: Were you able to boot Linux 5.11 on your SFI devices? If so, I guess the video BIOS is needed for the video drivers in mainline kernel?
Xen

Post by Xen »

middings wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 pm Xen, I looked in Jira. I could not find any bug reports there regarding freeldr that you wrote.
Ofc, I never report this bugs, I just fix them. This bugs was: memory leak, no reference counter decrease in ArcClose, wrong name comparison in ArcOpen (can open "device()partition()" instead of "device()" that was really requested). You can compare files to get details.
Illen wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:47 pm Sure. However if you want to send it upstream, it is better to create a PR at ReactOS GitHub so that it can be reviewed by developers.
I can just post sources in archive, but need ppl with SFI devices to test it.
Illen wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:47 pm Also a semi-offtopic question: Were you able to boot Linux 5.11 on your SFI devices? If so, I guess the video BIOS is needed for the video drivers in mainline kernel?
There is no VGA BIOS in linux kernel, native drivers works directly with device and dont need BIOS. BIOS need only for generic VGA drivers, working via int10 calls (bootvid/vga.sys for example).
I extract VGA BIOS from BIOS image of non-SFI device with same graphic adapter, it works fine after little fixes.
Illen

Post by Illen »

Xen wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:08 pm I can just post sources in archive, but need ppl with SFI devices to test it.
Alright, I can test it on Teclast P89.
walean

Post by walean »

Xen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm SFI-compatible freeldr is almost complete.
Hello. The SD/MMC host controller support should be done only in ntbootdd.sys driver if possible.
See /boot/freeldr/freeldr/disk/scsiport.c file that implements the interface between freeldr.sys and ntbootdd.sys
Xen

Post by Xen »

Illen wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 pm Alright, I can test it on Teclast P89.
Not much I can find about this device, but looks like it based on medfield platform while my is moorestown. Probably you will need to find another VGA BIOS for your device.
Anyway when you root it pls dump 1st MB of RAM, MCFG table and lspci, then I can check it and give more info.
walean wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:50 pm The SD/MMC host controller support should be done only in ntbootdd.sys driver if possible.
And how to load it if you cant read anything?
extravert34

Post by extravert34 »

Xen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm Should I post other code?
Great job!
Feel free to post Pull Requests. If you have fixes independent to SFI functionality, better do them separately. Looking forward.
Illen

Post by Illen »

Xen wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 pm Not much I can find about this device, but looks like it based on medfield platform while my is moorestown. Probably you will need to find another VGA BIOS for your device.
Anyway when you root it pls dump 1st MB of RAM, MCFG table and lspci, then I can check it and give more info.
The GPU seems to be based on SGX 544MP2, the closest GPU I have on a PC platform is a GMA 3600. Also attached an archive with all the dumps.
Attachments
tp89.zip
(809.21 KiB) Downloaded 86 times