Thank you Devs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

usagie99

Thank you Devs

Post by usagie99 »

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks to all of the decelopers who have worked on this project. Ive been periodically following this project since i was a teen in highschool over a decade ago and am wowed by how much can be accomplished by dedication. Keep up the good work and dont get dragged down by the haters!

Thanks again! :D
shunesburg

Re: Thank you Devs

Post by shunesburg »

usagie99 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:10 pm Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks to all of the decelopers who have worked on this project. Ive been periodically following this project since i was a teen in highschool over a decade ago and am wowed by how much can be accomplished by dedication. Keep up the good work and dont get dragged down by the haters!

I'm agree with you, thanks for your work developers.
perseus

Post by perseus »

I also concur. Thank you for your tireless work.
fague122

Post by fague122 »

Your work is very cool thanks to you
Last edited by fague122 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well, I say "DO SOMETHING". Like, it's a cool hobby, but if you have no release in 16 months, either switch to rolling release — or release, but the state of eternal limbo lets it look more hobbyish. This is said with all respect. You will never replace Windows with this — but you may keep up a very interesting academical project.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Aeneas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:57 pm Well, I say "DO SOMETHING". Like, it's a cool hobby, but if you have no release in 16 months, either switch to rolling release — or release, but the state of eternal limbo lets it look more hobbyish. This is said with all respect. You will never replace Windows with this — but you may keep up a very interesting academical project.
The people in this project don't like to be told what to do, by people that have the characteristic of a "know-it-all" but who in reality have no concept of how to contribute nor the skill to do so. I suggest you cannot even comprehend the scale of the task.

ReactOS is not in eternal limbo and if you were able to look in the correct place you would see the state of continual development. Like most people, just because development progress does not match your requirement you feel the need to criticise. The criticism is not needed. The devs know exactly where they are in the development of ReactOS and they are making steady progress.

Next time do not bother to voice your critical opinion, couched in platitudes, instead just contribute.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Instead of picking at the devs I rather want to thank them. As I said before, as a OS dev dilettant I know enough about OS dev to see that it's a huge task and that the progress so far is already cool!

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Aeneas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:57 pm Well, I say "DO SOMETHING". Like, it's a cool hobby, but if you have no release in 16 months, either switch to rolling release — or release, but the state of eternal limbo lets it look more hobbyish. This is said with all respect. You will never replace Windows with this — but you may keep up a very interesting academical project.
Well, guess what. Most devs here do this as hobby. You can't live from love and hot air and thus they have a job and a real life AFK. Some even have children and family to care about. And now guess where the priority is in that case. RIGHT! Not here (which is perfectly fine and normal IMO)
I still don't understand why so many ppl complain about releases. We are in alpha state and this means a release is NOT NEEDED. Be happy that we don't do it the Loonix way and just throw tarballs at you. You have nicely built nightlies made after EVERY commit aka a new release sometimes 10 times a day! Use them and be happy.
Don't say now that a release causes public awareness. We know that I I personally HATE IT. After every release we have flooded social media because ppl show up and already started to replace their Windows OS and then realize what alpha state means. This is the best way to cause negative PR, not positive!
I work in IT and one thing I learned the hard way is, 95% of ppl are plain stupid. Ppl can't read, can't understand a single sentence and are too naive to do ANY reasearch. News sites show a new shiny release of our project and ppl don't even read their report at all, including the warnings they always add to it. They strom the site and download a alpha state OS and then steal our development time with end user questions and complaints.
Ppl complain about the ugly look of ROS and demand changes, they complain about no preinstalled browser and no preinstalled drivers. They demand running *putAAAgamenamehere*. They complain about ANYTHING we care a sh*t in the current development state.

Ah and if anyone ever again dares to be pissed because we say we do not need any users, I will perma ban him. Not off the forum, off the whole system! We NEED TESTERS AND DEVELOPERS, NO USERS. Not YET at least.

And as last sentence. This is MY PERSONAL opinion. We have a release manager and he was busy with real life. Now he is back and releases will show up sooner or later again.

P.S. Thx @usagie99 and @PeterLinuxer for your comments. I really appreciate the kind of ppl who know what our devs are doing here!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Yeah, you're not in alpha state. Alpha state is when you actually progress towards beta state. Alpha state you were in 2005 or so. 😉 You guys are in "that's just an interesting ongoing experiment state". Which is fine, lots of projects are, but you see, most complaints decreased not because "everything went better", but because people simply stopped even complaining... No need to get touchy about it, it's just what it is. — Linux? Joke all you want, but you *know* where Linux *is*... (telling you as an ex-BSD guy who has to admit, Linux WON. Hands down. When they went from "We have Wine to emulate Windows" to "Windows gets a subsystem for THEM" there's simply no other expression than total "win".)
florian

Post by florian »

Two months ago Michael Mrozek, initiator & developer of Linux Handhelds & Consoles explained about (Low-level) Coders:

"[...] these freaks who say "horny, I rushed in now!", are very difficult to find today. Many say now, they are so strongly demanded by the profession that they do not feel like programming. There has been a change. You are becoming more and more exploited in the job and simply does not have a buck in the evening to meet something at something.

Of course, there is a great value of moral support: when people are behind a project, this gives me the motivation to continue and overcome all the difficulties."

(translated by Google; https://www.golem.de/news/dragonbox-pyr ... 004-3.html)

Thanks to all devs!
aricjoshua

Post by aricjoshua »

usagie99 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:10 pm Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks to all of the decelopers who have worked on this project. Ive been periodically following this project since i was a teen in highschool over a decade ago and am wowed by how much can be accomplished by dedication. Keep up the good work and dont get dragged down by the haters!

The project will continue to grow in the future, don't stop there
cookie clicker
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Aeneas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:05 pm Yeah, you're not in alpha state. Alpha state is when you actually progress towards beta state.
Well, that is your opinion but it is an uninformed one. The typical opinion of someone who is disparaging and is actually cloaking his implied criticism in otherwise sound-seeming words.
Aeneas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:05 pm No need to get touchy about it, it's just what it is.
We are only touchy when we receive the same old drivel spouted by the next uninformed person. You are not unique you know. We get drive-bys like this all the time. A little knowledge ought to change your mind but I'll suggest it won't make dent on your 'opinions'.
Aeneas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:05 pm — Linux? Joke all you want, but you *know* where Linux *is*...
Linux is an irrelevance. It has no material comparison to ReactOS and you should be able to see that.

Honestly, no-one here really cares about your negative opinions. Keep them to yourself. Alternatively, you can stand in line to express your off-the-shelf, prepackaged and frozen thoughts with all the other millions of mouth-breathers but really, your time would be better spent elsewhere.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

florian wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:11 pm "[...] Of course, there is a great value of moral support: when people are behind a project, this gives me the motivation to continue and overcome all the difficulties."
This is really heartwarming. I joined the project development some years ago, and sometimes I feel myself tired and exhausted not wanting to write a single line of code (especially when there's a lot of people criticizing the project). However when other devs show signs of life and demonstrate stuff they just have done, this really powers me up.

By the way, when I joined the project, I already knew it's very long time in alpha, but I wasn't disappointed by its state, its bugs, and its graphical glitches. When I'm looking at this project, I always imagine what it potentially could become in the future, and what I personally can do to move it forward. ReactOS really could be without these bugs and graphical glitches, and it really could have all features that Windows have, and even more than that, because it's free and open source.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The dedication of the devs also never fails to impress me. When I look at how complex Windows is and what a task it is to replicate a largely undocumented and closed operating system, the complexity of its functionality and the complexity of the resulting ReactOS code, the magnitude of the task terrifies me. I can code. Sometimes I feel I am actually quite good at what I do - but I could never compete with the knowledge of ReactOS devs.
florian

Post by florian »

I have to confess that I'm not familiar with coding (except of beeing an HTML- and CSS-autodidact).

But as far as I understood, "Windows has around 400 (documented) syscalls, plus around 1,700 (documented) Win32 API calls, while Linux has 313 syscalls (with amd64). In addition to the documented functions, there are also a large number of undocumented functions in Windows." (translated by Google: www.golem.de/news/betriebssysteme-warum-microsoft-nie-auf-linux-umsteigen-wird-2011-151747-2.html)

Coding a binary-compatible OS, mostly done by volunteers, is a huge task... I guess, its results are thus quiet impressive. Even if I don't want be patient, I have to be. Neither I am a dev nor a billionaire.