Are GPT disks now supported?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mna.

Are GPT disks now supported?

Post by Mna. »

As I read this[1], does it mean that GPT disks are now supported?
2) Are they supported "fully"?
2.1) Can you for example boot from such a GPT partition?
Thanks

[1] quote from: https://reactos.org/project-news/reactos-in-2020/
Kernel and drivers
As there are two developers working full-time in this field, there are quite some long-awaited changes:
Merge of the PnP storage stack. The new storage stack, derived from open-source Microsoft drivers came to replace the old NT4-compatible ReactOS storage stack. For a long time many workarounds were applied to make the NT4 storage stack work in the NT5.2 environment. This era ends now, with a major step forward in compatibility with modern Windows, along with new features:
  • GPT partitioning support.
shunesburg

Re: Are GPT disks now supported?

Post by shunesburg »

When you install on a uninitialized disk, it's in MBR, but normally if your disk is already in GPT it could work and stay in GPT.
Try and see, but maybe what I said is wrong.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nothing is "supported "fully".
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Mna. wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm As I read this[1], does it mean that GPT disks are now supported?
Are they supported "fully"?
Afaik it only can identify and read GPT disk volumes once the system is booted. The boot from GPT is not implemented yet.