Running ReactOS explorer.exe on Windows 7 64bit

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dowova8305

Running ReactOS explorer.exe on Windows 7 64bit

Post by dowova8305 »

Hi all,

I recently tried out ReactOS and after particularly liking the interface, I tried to run the explorer on Windows 7.

it seems to work well in Server 2003 compat mode, except for one somewhat big issue - the start menu doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click start. Has anyone else had this issue, and has anyone managed to fix it? At first I thought it was OpenShell clashing with ROS, but it doesn't seem to be that way since I uninstalled it and it doesn't work any more than that.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Running ReactOS explorer.exe on Windows 7 64bit

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Probably, others aren't doing what you are doing so in general we are likely to have no experience. ReactOS explorer is not designed to work on Windows 7 (NT6) 64bit.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There were some experiments with it. But as first, you need a 64 bit explorer from ROS, not 32 bit.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dowova8305

Post by dowova8305 »

So I tried around for a bit and here's what I found -- for anyone else who wants to give it a whirl. As of 4.13.0:

1. explorer.exe's Start Menu won't work on Windows 7 since the API has changed from Win Server 2003.

2. explorer_old.exe does work pretty much completely although it leads to some bizarre situations. Saving files from Google will make the entire thing freeze and opening the volume slider doesn't work, I imagine because W7's volume slider is totally different from previous versions.

Overall I'm not that surprised that there are a few glitches. It's to be expected since this isn't intended usage, but it would have been neat if it worked. But still pretty cool.