reactos priority? or mess?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

X512

Re: reactos priority? or mess?

Post by X512 »

Julcar wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 am Ocasionally I get BSODs
Be careful: ReactOS can destroy all data on partition when performing write operations. It is highly recommended to take backups of important data. Backups should be taken by network (GitHub etc.) or outside of ReactOS, otherwise you can damage backup disk. It is probably better to use BtrFS file system because it has journaling and crash recovery.
Julcar wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 am I need a compiler: TCC and Freebasic, allows me to use high level languages
GCC (Mingw), Clang and many other compilers work on ReactOS. It is also possible to compile ReactOS on ReactOS.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

leppy232 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:05 am 2003 wasn't long enough ago that it would be a waste of time to finish it up.
You have misunderstood the situation. It HAS to be done this way. All the structures that comprise NT5.2 (APIs &c) still underpin all that is in Windows today. Windows 10 still contains all those APIs, plus more of course. All need to be replicated to allow NT6 and later compatibility to be built on top.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

leppy232 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:05 am Basically, expect them to be in beta sometime around 2025. Maybe 2023 if they get paid enough to hire more people.
But why to make windows XP or windows 200x server clone?
Why did not pay money on wine HQ or other linux apps?

Will classic shell or windows 10 sidebar someway works? I not a developer but i think make support for linux be hard, but is harder for ReactOS? Did ccleaner works?

We have also:
Windows XP & Win2003 Full Source-Code Leaked. ReactOS Godsend?

tread that may give idea why make windows clone poor idea, the issue for linux and macos is for gaming and apps that did not works like good in linux on than windows 10.

I you know kernel and nvidia\AMD drivers on linux and windows 10 you know its loot difference than this system reason of linux is not popular than windows 10.
Will Nero 2020 or PowerDVD 20 WinDVD Pro 12, Ashampoo WinOptimizer FREE,Ashampoo® Burning Studio 22 works with ReactOS in future?

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/scriptin ... ing-files/
Its posible to add powershell support on ReactOS and linux but i did not think its will be good idea.

Also issue is about clone PS3 or Xbox 1.6 to get works games to PC that is also poor software for it.
Did not find much good videoeditior software to add bluesray XL support free. Much games and program did not add support with more than 8 GB of ram.

But if i talk about security ReactOS is the most unsafe system ever maybe worst than windows 2000 or ME?
Be careful: ReactOS can destroy all data on partition when performing write operations. It is highly recommended to take backups of important data. Backups should be taken by network (GitHub etc.) or outside of ReactOS, otherwise you can damage backup disk. It is probably better to use BtrFS file system because it has journaling and crash recovery.
Same can happed with wine HQ (linux or simular) but i did not happed yet, i did issue is bluescreen and to much poor hardware is biggest issue with ReactOS.

Try to get ReacOS to works with hardware with later than windows Vista (Windows 7\8.1) with UEFI support i think that be issue in future.
ReactifSE

Post by ReactifSE »

After reading this thread, I just wanted to chime in and say that although I'm a strong supporter of criticism, such remarks need to be balanced and legitimate. Otherwise this is bordering on the insult. More so if the subject of said criticism is a voluntary project, where no magic promises have been made in exchange for hefty money.

Undue criticism is discouraging for both the user base and the developers. This just isn't useful - especially not when Windows has turned into a despotic POS and an alternative is urgently needed.

Everyone need to do its part. Personally, I'm not a coder. So what I can do to contribute is to give money.
If my stock market plans pan out a few years from now, and there's a reasonable chance for these to happen, I pledge to give at least 10.000 € to the ReactOS project. That should help pay the salary of a full-time developer for a few months.
(But if my plans fail, I'll still have smaller amounts to give to the project.)
florian

Post by florian »

LMH1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:04 pm
leppy232 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:05 am Basically, expect them to be in beta sometime around 2025. Maybe 2023 if they get paid enough to hire more people.
But why to make windows XP or windows 200x server clone?
Why did not pay money on wine HQ or other linux apps?
Why do you waste your time here? If you don't like ReactOS, go ahead and "pay money on wine HQ or other linux apps"...

By the way, our ReactOS developers collaborate with Wine as well as with many other FOSS projects. Check for instance https://reactos.org/wiki/WINE or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS.

Our FAQ should answer your questions:
LMH1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:04 pmWe have also:
Windows XP & Win2003 Full Source-Code Leaked. ReactOS Godsend?
Really? Leaked Source-Code is illegal! Please read Is ReactOS legal? Leaked code is not helpful at all because we want to stay legal.

LMH1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:04 pm But if i talk about security ReactOS is the most unsafe system ever maybe worst than windows 2000 or ME? [...]
Oh my god... Don't compare a stable release like Windows 2000 with an OS within its alpha phase! Alpha is the first phase of software testing. Software testing by developers and not by normal customers like you and me! Please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_ ... ycle#Alpha.
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

First of all, ReactOS is not now a mere clone of Windows. ReactOS is an operating system that is compatible with Microsoft Windows applications and drivers. Some of the reasons are the same as the reasons for developing Linux (an open-source UNIX clone). In short, Linux is a great operating system but it is not the answer for everybody. There are a lot of people that like Microsoft Windows but are very frustrated with Microsoft's policies on various issues.

The 9x family of Microsoft Windows is based on DOS and shares many of its weaknesses which is the primary reason why Microsoft Windows has such a bad name. The Microsoft Windows NT™ family of Windows, however, has a solid design. Not everything is perfect but without access to the source code, there is no way to fix it so a compatible operating system must be built from the ground up.

Think of ReactOS as a community-created o/s with honourable goals, ie. to create a free-to-use Windows-compatible o/s that will be quick to install, quick to run, and easy to operate. Think of it in the same spirit as a "Linux for Windows users" or perhaps more accurately as a "Windows o/s for Linux users"? Both built in the same spirit with a similar aim in mind.

ReactOS is a desirable object given that it should free Windows development from the shackles of Microsoft's current business model. That is a great target in itself. When it achieves beta release it will provide a home for the continued development of legacy applications (win32, MFC and the like) and their future will be rosy well away from the UWP framework that Microsoft is imposing upon both users and developers alike in its current business aim to dominate tablet and IoT devices
Yes i waste time of here, because its did not help,
Think of ReactOS as a community-created o/s with honourable goals, ie. to create a free-to-use Windows-compatible o/s that will be quick to install, quick to run, and easy to operate. Think of it in the same spirit as a "Linux for Windows users" or perhaps more accurately as a "Windows o/s for Linux users"? Both built in the same spirit with a similar aim in mind.

ReactOS is a desirable object given that it should free Windows development from the shackles of Microsoft's current business model. That is a great target in itself. When it achieves beta release it will provide a home for the continued development of legacy applications (win32, MFC and the like) and their future will be rosy well away from the UWP framework that Microsoft is imposing upon both users and developers alike in its current business aim to dominate tablet and IoT devices
Yes but what can be supported or not? Its poor that old XP computer with Atom and old windows XP computer only be supported.
ReactOS has the potential for a much higher degree of compatibility – especially for Microsoft Windows drivers – which Wine does not address.
But issue with ReactOS its too unstable compared with linux.
Really? Leaked Source-Code is illegal! Please read Is ReactOS legal? Leaked code is not helpful at all because we want to stay legal.
Even if reactOS have 2000 developers its still have issue when windows 10 and ReactOS be to simular they lose microsoft money, so microsoft will still say they be to simular so its did not help?

So please tell my when and even reactOS be success if they will do it? may before every windows XP computer its to old that did not works longer?
I think is safer to help linux than reactos because its take so long time.

You see what happed with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_XP they dead long before centOS and other. Also mandriva linux get some issue also openoffice with docx support, so now its only libreoffice that support it.

So am sure when ReactOS be stabile product, they will face much issue with microsoft and other, its still issue with duke nukem reloaded (Serius sam clone serius duke and: https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=6578 https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/fil ... 534402159/ i guess they break some copyright to add support to windows 10 or xbox series X but as user i did not care if that did not issue to users, but its poor that money only make issue with free project because they company have money to close all opensource or free project because they did not have money.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

LMH1 please grow up, read the FAQ, learn what ReactOS is about and then stop commenting. You do yourself no honour commenting in the uninformed way you do.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
florian

Post by florian »

For the last time:

ReactOS is not declared to be stable by our developers! That's called alpha...
Windows, Linux, MacOS and BSD are declared to be stable by their developers!

You want to ride a rocking horse which is still up a workbench of a woodworker?...

We go round in circles... and this discussion should be closed.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, circle is being broken now! I waited LONG ENOUGH and hoped that a former ROS contributor learns the meaning of the Alpha decalaration. As I was disappointed here, I will take the needed steps and LOCK this thread! I was asked to even ban @LMH which will NOT happen for now... yet.

Last words for this discussion: We all told you to NOT compare a Alpha state OS with already released and retailed systems and you did not listen! We told you again and again what Alpha state means and you did not listen! You told us that you are no developer, but this is not needed to show at least some common sense, just a spoon full of it! That lack is even more confirmed by listing up to MOST USELESS crap of software existing and asking if it runs. Said lack of common sense could be the main problem here. Anyways, I won't allow such sorry excuse in here. I expect ppl to be able to understand the meanings of written text and if that is not possible, they have to leave or STFU. It's that simple. Everyone is welcome here! No problem with any origin, sexual whatever or if they like cats or dogs more. Just I demand COMMON SENSE!

CLOSED
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...