reactos priority? or mess?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

X512

Re: reactos priority? or mess?

Post by X512 »

There are 2 critical bugs that block ReactOS usage:
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-6699
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-6762

ReactOS can't be practically useful until this bugs will be fixed. So lets wait until it will be fixed or help to fix it.
X512

Post by X512 »

binarymaster wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:11 pm ReactOS is in Alpha development stage. This means no guarantees of any kind.
Even if it will be completed, there are still no guarantees of any kind. It is explicitly stated in GPL license.
NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
X512

Post by X512 »

hbelusca wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:21 pm Do you think that the real MS Windows have been developed by just 10 active developers? And linux?
Haiku was also created by about 10 active developers, but it is stable enough for every day use and development. It supports modern hardware such as USB 3, NVMe, UEFI boot, i2c HID (partial, but works for me), etc..

Serenity OS was created mostly by one developer during one year from absolute zero and it is stable enough and it have advanced GUI. It also have advanced virtual memory system and inspection tools (Profiler, System Monitor).

So it hears nothing more than excuse.
florian

Post by florian »

Haiku is inspired by BeOS with "[...] about 1.5 million lines of code. Actually an incredibly small codebase, compared to, say, the 30+ million lines of code in Windows NT"(https://birdhouse.org/beos/bible/bos/ch_future1.html; 1999). The coding of ReactOS seems to be a bit more challenging...

Thanks for Serenity OS. Didn't know that one! But without any ISO-images and beeing myself a non-technical user, Serenity OS does not cater to me according to its FAQ.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Haiku was explained nicely by florian. Whatever Serenity OS is... if you start from ZERO you can realize it in whatever way you want. We don't have such easy peasy childs play here. We need to follow what a closed source OS does and that as close as possible. So no, "Oh look, I made a nice Memory Manager in two days. How it works? Well, the way I like it to." Great if someone can do such things, but completely useless for us.

Ah and another thing @X512... You have a edit button, no need for and not wanted that you make 3*10^8 posts in a row.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

Did someone test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-0np5fWG0
how easy reactos can get infected?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JLK8BNx1iQ

Windows 10 its not the best but i think its more safty there? Not sure rectos will support windows definder
https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2013/11/14/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials-which-one-do-i-need/?/

But i think this it outdated anytime. (ended 2013/11/14/)
NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Sorry you dont have much warranty with microsoft or Apple other than you can report issue or make sue to company if they lost you money but they should have god reason to pay. But i did not think ReactOS not be the top operatingsystem in the 2030 year. If it come to beta some times.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Could you please elaborate why you opened this thread? I hear some sorry whining about ROS sucks, ROS got my cat pregnant by my dog and ROS does not work for everyday's PC doings, but what do you want? What do you expect to happen? If you have a problem with our lil project and things are not done in your pace, then why did you come back? Yeah I still know your name. ^^
Check my signature and what maaaany others told ya by now. ROS is not ready for everyday's use and it will still take a while until it might be and that's what software devs call ALPHA state. Noone cares about your prophecies of doom and if that's all you wanna spread then I recommend to leave now before I have to make you leave. Got it?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
irony

Post by irony »

X512, you are a coder, if you are concerned with the stage of some critical parts of ROS, then unlike most of local complainers, you can help - just consider participating in fixing those horrendous defficiencies inside of ROS.
florian

Post by florian »

LMH1, in its current state ReactOS targets Windows XP 32bit (NT kernel version 5.1) respectively Windows Server 2003 (Nt kernel 5.2). Do you truly expect the security standards of Win 10 (internally marked as NT kernel 6.4) which was approximately published 14 years later? ... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases).

If you're familiar with Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Tool (EMET) you could compare its features depending of the OS codebase. Same result. (for instance https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2016/11/03/beyond-emet/)

Please stop comparing ReactOS with Win 10...
crackez

Post by crackez »

As an old follower of ReactOS ...I see this LMH1 as a troll to be honest, he asks for ReactOS to work at least at a level of windows XP if not better

He tries drivers and software like ReactOS is beta and fully working but moans about some bugs, dude you fail to understand it's alpha means it doesn't even have a full implementation, some parts of it are not complete, don't ask for beta/gold state while in alpha.

Sure I'd LOVE to see it in beta 0.5 would be a point where I'd make my system double boot for just that thing! heck I remember when firefox was new ...I use it daily and when it didn't load a page correctly I was using IE.

P.S. I did hope for reactos to become beta late '20 to early '21 but that was a really optimistic pov. Can't wait for beta version but I won't moan about it. It's not like I'm paying for something and demand a result, it's not like I've convinced 200 people to donate 1000 euros each and expecting results also it doesn't have like 100 devs(I'd love to see that tbh) so I know the progress go slower than what I'd like to see

Anyway @LNH1 chill ur attitude, don't demand as you're in no position to do so, you don't like it? go to linux or windows and don't waste us time. Every person here is kind except you, just chill
middings

Post by middings »

crackez wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 am...dude you (LMH1, the original poster) fail to understand it's alpha...
Reviews of ReactOS on some of the online publications fail to mention that ReactOS is at the alpha stage of software development. The very slick ReactOS.org web site's home page gives visitors the impression that ReactOS is a polished product. The web site's home page itself fails to mention that ReactOS is alpha stage software. As a result, no one should be surprised to encounter people who expect far more of ReactOS than the software or the project team can deliver at this time.
crackez wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 amP.S. I did hope for reactos to become beta late '20 to early '21 but that was a really optimistic pov. Can't wait for beta version but I won't moan about it.
When Microsoft dropped support for Windows XP in 2014, I hoped that by 2020 ReactOS could reach the minimum viable product point of development for at least one practical use of ReactOS. I too was over optimistic. The mountain of development work remaining didn't seem so enormous almost seven years ago. The developers (devs) and testers have accomplished a great deal, they deserve applause and gratitude from ReactOS fans and experimenters. I thank them all.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

on the original home page, it said
ReactOS *.*.* is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.
then the next revision of the page
They're talking about ReactOS *.*.* (Even if we're just Alpha)
You're just a click away from discovering a new alternative!
there may be a reason the home page is missing this information
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Comparing to

- FreeDOS ("just" FUCKUNG DOS!)

- BlueLion ex eComStation ex OS/2

- OpenVMS on x86,

ReactOS is not advancing unusually slow. Bear in mind, Windows is primarily a "consumer OS" ... Which translates to A LOT of "bells & whistles" which "big iron" OSes do not have. Have you actually tried "real Unix", 1980s style? - Compared to DOS, a total "shit OS". Yes, you can use more RAM, yes, you can use bigger disks and longer filenames. But you get NONE of the programs you are used to. You get hyped end-of-1970s stuff & dependency hell as you compile ANYTHING yourself. Yeah, go try, you will notice how NOTHING was sensibly standardised, not even your string handling libraries. Without meaning any disrespect to Linux or BSD, looking back in historical perspective, they were trying to re-implement a "caveman OS". They were happy when "grep" worked. Well then - go use grep! Not MS-Word, but grep! And so on. — With all faults, Windows was providing an ENTIRELY different angle on computing, and from a dozen years later, it simply takes time. It is the ONLY such ongoing and successful effort.
leppy232

Post by leppy232 »

LMH1 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm
ReactOS is being developed to be compatible with with Windows XP/2003.
But its have some features with windows vista and newer.
Sorry but can think goal for reactos is 20 year operatingsystem?
From what I understood, NT 5.x (2000, XP, 2003) was new when ROS started up again and now that all this work has been done on getting NT 5.2 compatibility running, they figure it's not worth it to start from scratch again; 2003 wasn't long enough ago that it would be a waste of time to finish it up. After 5.x compatibility is done with, as far as I know, they're planning to work on adding compatibility for 6.x (6.0 Vista through 6.4 10). But for now, it's 5.x; the workload is lighter and without new entries the goalposts aren't going to be moving any time soon. It's a lot quicker to write a brand new OS than try to meticulously reverse engineer a closed-source one to be 1:1 compatible with every piece of software it has, which, obviously, means testing every piece of software it has and then trying to figure out how it works.

Basically, expect them to be in beta sometime around 2025. Maybe 2023 if they get paid enough to hire more people.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

As a web developer I can say: ReactOS currently meets my needings
I need an editor to write code: SCiTE, works out of the box
I need a webserver: I modified a mongoose webserver to run on ReactOS
I need a compiler: TCC and Freebasic, allows me to use high level languages
I need a RBDMS: Sqlite is enough
I need a web browser: K-Meleon Goanna branch works

Ocasionally I get BSODs, but most often I can do my work w/o problems, I think that it depends the way you use the OS, and how you can adapt to its limitations.