Is anyone working on a react os ide?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

I want to make one but if someone is already working on one then I would rather contribute to that project
Julcar

Re: Is anyone working on a react os ide?

Post by Julcar »

AFAIK, there is no live project to write an IDE for ReactOS, the only thing that exists is RosBE, but they are just command line tools to compile the code, but not tools to edit the code itself, on the other side, you could use Visual Studio as a default IDE to compile ReactOS
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Why would you spend time on something like this if you can use visual studio?
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

learn_more wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 pm Why would you spend time on something like this if you can use visual studio?
Why spend time on Linux when there is Unix? Why spend time on ReactOS when there is Windows? You see the pattern?

I personally would like a truely free and open source IDE.

But whatever suits you.

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:34 pm
learn_more wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 pm Why would you spend time on something like this if you can use visual studio?
Why spend time on Linux when there is Unix? Why spend time on ReactOS when there is Windows? You see the pattern?

But whatever suits you.

Greetings
Peter
The goals of ReactOS is just to write an open source clone of Windows. Nothing else. Like the goals of the NT core/base kernel team at Microsoft is to make the NT kernel and associated modules.
If you want to find open source IDEs, go somewhere else. Like at MS, you would see instead the VisualStudio dev team (which has nothing to do with the Windows team(s)).
etc...
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

hbelusca wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 pm

But whatever suits you.

Greetings
Peter
The goals of ReactOS is just to write an open source clone of Windows. Nothing else. Like the goals of the NT core/base kernel team at Microsoft is to make the NT kernel and associated modules.
If you want to find open source IDEs, go somewhere else. Like at MS, you would see instead the VisualStudio dev team (which has nothing to do with the Windows team(s)).
etc...
Sorry, I don't understand your point. I totally agree on the goal of ReactOS. Why does that mean we have to go somewhere else?

Greetings
Peter
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 pm
hbelusca wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 pm

But whatever suits you.

Greetings
Peter
etc...
Sorry, I don't understand your point. I totally agree on the goal of ReactOS. Why does that mean we have to go somewhere else?

Greetings
Peter
Because you are going to a carpenter asking for bread.
They both make stuff, it's just nothing alike.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

learn_more wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:22 pm Because you are going to a carpenter asking for bread.
They both make stuff, it's just nothing alike.
Now I see what you mean. But I think asking here if someone else already does such a project, that is perfectly OK. Just the coding would be done somewhere else, like a separate github repository or similar.

Since ROS devs use Windows and like open source they might as well like an open source IDE for Windows and ReactOS. It is kind of related. It's like talking about open source games for Windows. ReactOS devs would surely like to talk about open source games.

That's just my opinion. Not sure if I explained it well.

Greetings
Peter
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

What's wrong with code blocks?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

The issue is visual studio doesn't use the win32 api and doesn't look native to react os and is not open source.
Other alternatives like code blocks aren't as easy to use and still don't look native to win32
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Oh okay LAZY factor is involved here.....

You guys like to play with programs that write code for you.......

Lazy Heads!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Shadowblitz16 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:23 am The issue is visual studio doesn't use the win32 api and doesn't look native to react os and is not open source.
Who cares what it looks like? Look and feel is not a reason to develop a whole new IDE when there are plenty of them already. If you have a beef about merely the look of modern visual studio then you will be building a new IDE for the rest of your life, because you, as one man, don't have a hell's chance of replicating what VS does within your lifetime, even if you worked day and night.

Use any IDE that you require, write code and get the IDE to call the compiler of your choice. Submit the changes to github. That's it. You'd be sensible to use the same tools the devs use now. If setting up the build environment is too complicated for you (admittedly it is all quite complicated for beginners) then you aren't the level of competence required to perform o/s development.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.