how to compile ros in windows

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeremyk

how to compile ros in windows

Post by jeremyk »

How in the world do I compile ros in windows. I have MS VS, dev-cpp, and MinGW-3.1.0. But I have no idea how to compile using any of this. can some one give me a step by step instructions on compiling it?
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Ensure your build environment is set up correctly http://mok.lvcm.com/cgi-bin/reactos/ros ... or_Windows

Set your path to point to your build tools. (PATH=c:\ros_build;) It's useful to clear everything else to avoid conflicts (e.g. if you have cygwin is will pick up things like 'sh')

Run 'make' in the top level reactos directory.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Tutorial: Compiling ReactOS for newbie's (step-by-step)
http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... or&mdnr=39
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

frik85 wrote:Tutorial: Compiling ReactOS for newbie's (step-by-step)
http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... or&mdnr=39
The links on there need updating. They refer to old version of mingw.

The latest versions can be found here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=82721
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

does any one have a copy of gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz because I can not get it to download for me thanks
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Thats strange. I just tried it from my local mirror with no probs.

http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo ... 6-1.tar.gz

What happens when you try to d/l it? (you'll need to copy and paste the address. It won't allow you to link to it)
Last edited by Gedi on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stof91

Post by Stof91 »

I've tried to compile ReactOS with Optimized=1,

EDIT: This was the second try of 'make', this exact error was also outputed on the first try

but i get this error:

Code: Select all

C:\ReactCVS\reactos>make
ntoskrnl: [CC]      mm/elf32.c
In file included from mm/elf32.c:2:
mm/elf.c: In function `Elf32FmtCreateSection':
mm/elf.c:368: warning: `nImageBase' might be used uninitialized in this function

make[1]: *** [mm/elf32.o] Error 1
make: *** [ntoskrnl] Error 2
Can anyone help me? Thanks

P.S.: I've followed the tutorial on ReactosWiki
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

all I get is

Could not read file.

Go back. /home/ftp/pub/sourceforge//s/so/sourceforge/mingw/gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1.tar.gz

Jan 05, 2005 03:48
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Thats what I get if I click on the link. But if I copy the address and paste it into the address bar it's fine.

I'm at work at the moment, and firewalled in. If you've still not managed it by the time I'm home, I'll stick it on one of my servers.
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

Stof91 wrote:I've tried to compile ReactOS with Optimized=1,

EDIT: This was the second try of 'make', this exact error was also outputed on the first try

but i get this error:

Code: Select all

ntoskrnl: [CC]      mm/elf32.c
mm/elf.c:368: warning: `nImageBase' might be used uninitialized in this function

Can anyone help me? Thanks

P.S.: I've followed the tutorial on ReactosWiki
Just get the latest sourcecode and try again. I managed to compile it (OPTIMIZED := 1, OARCH := athlon-xp). The boot CD works, but the LiveCD apparently not.
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

I can compile it I finaly got everything setup right I think. but it failes at compiling ntfs .
(I am not sure the rest of the file name because I am at work now)

and another thing is there a way that I make sure that every file is being optimized and not in debug mode? I want it to compile and be the fastes it can be the way it is right now.
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

jeremyk wrote:I can compile it I finaly got everything setup right I think. but it failes at compiling ntfs .
When I used revision 12819 (I think), I had it fail on NTFS, too. Than I switched to revision 12820 and it worked.
jeremyk wrote:and another thing is there a way that I make sure that every file is being optimized and not in debug mode? I want it to compile and be the fastes it can be the way it is right now.
Take a look at the config file. I don't know if there're other places to activate optimizations.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Code:
ntoskrnl: [CC] mm/elf32.c

varbel nImageBase it need set to null direcly in mm/elf32.c
like this nImageBase = NULL; when it declare in function `Elf32FmtCreateSection'

[/quote]
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

[quote="TiKu"]When I used revision 12819 (I think), I had it fail on NTFS, too. Than I switched to revision 12820 and it worked.
[\quote]

what do you mean revision 12819? all I did was download the newst one using svn and then tryed compiling it
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

jeremyk wrote:what do you mean revision 12819? all I did was download the newst one using svn and then tryed compiling it
Did you use TortoiseSVN for download? If yes, choose "Show Log" instead of "Export" or "Checkout". You'll see a list of the last revisions of ReactOS. The revision number gets incremented by one if a developer commits something to the repository. Right now, revision 12841 is the latest one. I don't know whether this one can be compiled, but I know that revision 12820 can be compiled, so I suggest using 12820. With TortoiseSVN you can define the revision that it should download.
I don't know how to do this with any other SVN-frontend or pure SubVersion.

HTH
TiKu

/e: This board doesn't seem to be able to handle boxed quotes.