new user

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

richardu

new user

Post by richardu »

Hi. I'm completely new here and don't understand the coding, I'm really interested in knowing when ReactOS will be ready to use. Will it work on a Raspberry Pi or does it need a PC. Whats the minimum spec and what is recommended. I work in Media audio and video, I'm willing to try it with my software.
karlexceed

Re: new user

Post by karlexceed »

richardu wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 pm interested in knowing when ReactOS will be ready to use
"It will be ready when it's ready." There is no solid timeline for a 1.0 release. It's very useable now, but the definition of "useable" will be different based on what you are trying to do.
richardu wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 pm Will it work on a Raspberry Pi or does it need a PC
Raspberry Pi is an ARM-based computer. ReactOS doesn't currently have an ARM port, so yes it will require an x86-compatible processor like most desktops and laptops have used since the 80s.
richardu wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 pm Whats the minimum spec and what is recommended.
According to the wiki page here: https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS

The minimum requirements to install ReactOS are:
  • RAM: at least 64 MB, recommended 256 MB, and even 2048 MB if you want to test large software suites or bundles.
  • Processor: x86 or x64 architecture, Pentium or later and compatibles; for more information see ReactOS ports.
  • HDD: IDE/SATA with minimum 450 MB of free space on the primary partition (please note that some SATA controllers may not work with ReactOS): FAT16/FAT32 primary boot partition.
  • Video: VGA compatible video card (VESA BIOS version 2.0 or later).