Split: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS #critics

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Patchworks

Split: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS #critics

Post by Patchworks »

feldrim wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:48 pm I have shared a few links in Mattermost. But it's hard to find them among other things. I'd like to add them here with some additions:
[..]
Many of you probably know these already. I hope this does not count as spamming.
...and why not try to involve their devs into ReactOS ?

I personally experienced that many 3rd-party open source projects don't know ROS...
feldrim

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by feldrim »

Well, I mentioned ReactOS to Grayfish, but he was not interested at the beginning. Stas'm convinced him to contribute. I have spoken to
Jeremy Collake of Bitsum, but he was not interested in too.
Emery Berger is an expert in memory management, which ReactOS falls short, and I have not asked him because obviously he does not want to contribute since I saw a few mentions from him beforehand. I might be be wrong due to my weak memory of names.
Howard Hinnant, the owner of date library, does not involve in development on Windows, mostly on Unix variations.
Microsoft official account does not have an interest about ReactOS also.
I got in contact with many devs through years. Many (all) of them refused.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Not surprising. ReactOS is 10 years away, five at best until Alpha approaches an end. Why would anyone build a car from scratch (let alone as a kit car) when you can go out and get one that is identical and better, available now and so very cheaply, with no effort?

In five years nearing beta the devs will start to see a reason to start looking at ReactOS but until then simply EXPECT a lack of interest.

This should surprise no-one.

Let's get on track with "Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS".
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
xpert

Post by xpert »

feldrim wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:45 pm .., does not involve in development on Windows, mostly on Unix variations.
Microsoft official account does not have an interest about ReactOS also.
I got in contact with many devs through years. Many (all) of them refused.
https://fossbytes.com/why-does-eric-ray ... -to-linux/

Reactos will be a still birth. Devs should put power to WINE.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

xpert wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:25 pm Devs should put power to WINE.
lol, they do though. Open source projects can and do push changes upstream and ReactOS uses a large chunk of WINE code. WINE is better today thanks to the work that ReactOS devs have put in.
xpert

Post by xpert »

I meant all power...
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

xpert wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:24 pm I meant all power...
Why should they? Isn't ReactOS a worthy project? And it has requirements that go beyond an emulation layer.

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
xpert

Post by xpert »

Maybe this power is wasted. Windows is dying, ask Microsofts developers, especially in Munich. Read the press of last years:
https://www.techradar.com/news/is-windows-dying
https://www.zdnet.com/article/in-2018-w ... ody-cared/
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

xpert wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:11 pm Maybe this power is wasted. Windows is dying, ask Microsofts developers, especially in Munich. Read the press of last years:
But I would love to have a free/open source OS that can run lots of Windows games and has further compatibility (like drivers and more).

And both Linux and macOS have their special disadvantages, too. So ReactOS is cool...!

Greetings
Peter
xpert

Post by xpert »

Which disadvantages for Linux?
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

xpert wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:56 pm Which disadvantages for Linux?
Overly bloated kernel (it even has a coffee machine, a laundry washer and a nuclear power plant built into it). The kernel is impossible to be built without a lot of configuration work. Hard to configure (kernel and user space). Extremely overdone GUI. Not intuitive at all, impossible to be used by non-nerds. Many many variants which different installers and binary file formats. Not target/ecosystem for many games and business software. Totally messed up bootloader (grub2). Obscure boot kludge.
Nightmare software in Linux/GNU: Kernel, X, Desktop Environments, systemd.

Greetings
Peter
xpert

Post by xpert »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:48 pm Overly bloated kernel (it even has a coffee machine, a laundry washer and a nuclear power plant built into it). The kernel is impossible to be built without a lot of configuration work. Hard to configure (kernel and user space). Extremely overdone GUI. Not intuitive at all, impossible to be used by non-nerds. Many many variants which different installers and binary file formats. Not target/ecosystem for many games and business software. Totally messed up bootloader (grub2). Obscure boot kludge.
Nightmare software in Linux/GNU: Kernel, X, Desktop Environments, systemd.

Greetings
Peter
1. Kernel too big? Build one yourself
2. make xconfig, make menuconfig exist
3. which GUI, there are many
4. maybe you are "impossible silly"..?
5. there is one binary file format: ELF
6. Ohh no business software, like MS SQL or SAP runs there? Oh wait...
7. you are telling rubbisc
8. this post was written on Linux
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

1. Building config is difficult and takes a lot of time. And no, the kernel sources don't get smaller or simpler by building.
2. menuconfig and xconfig don't make the process simpler. Just looks better.
3. Yes, that's part of the problem. And I mean X and the desktop environments. The whole graphics stack.
4. Thanks for insulting me personally. And you prove that there is a lot of nerdiness around Linux.
5. No, there is RPM, DEB etc.
6. No, there are many business applications which run only on Windows. If you had business background, you would know.
7. Thanks for insulting me personally again.
8. My post was written about Linux, too. EDIT: Yes and ON Linux, too.

You are running out of arguments. So you have to resort to personal insults. So you indirectly confirm that I am right.

Too bad you can't stand that someone doesn't think Linux is perfect. Nothing is perfect, Linux ain't, too.

I don't say Linux hasn't advantages (See my forum name). I'm just saying it has disdvantages. What's so absurd about that?

You haven't proven anything of my critics as wrong.
Last edited by PeterLinuxer on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irony

Post by irony »

xpert wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:11 pm Maybe this power is wasted. Windows is dying, ask Microsofts developers, especially in Munich. Read the press of last years:
dude, have you read those articles? local "xperts" over there do fantasize (at least in the second one) about "dying" the personal computing at home, which is synonymous to Windows - it's an old and sour song from this kind of "professional" clowns; this balderdash got boring and uninteresting ages ago, but they keep parroting it (somehow). but you see, if they are right, your "whine" is even more irrelevant then, so as linux is. the latter isn't even considered there, because it's not existent in the home PC computing. they didn't say, "linux is arising, windows is fading away", they said "PC at home is disappearing". why you've got so excited? linux didn't exist there anyway? :lol:
but it's not that bad, all this buzzword collection idiocy - AI, cloud, SaaS, PaaS and company is "winning" over PC home computing for not less, than a decade, still as we see, it's all here. people use computers, and actually all these mobile things, they are also computers. I cannot take seriously a guy, who motivates his opinion saying that Win32 is "obsolete" because "it's from 1990 and it's tight to x86". because the dude is a f&cking laughingstock then! and his unix he is wonking all days, is from 1970 btw, so what? it's just not serious. if you believe together with such experts, that WinAPI can't run on Qualcomm chips, then go ahead, in your AI cloud container. :lol: just again - don't forget, that those buzzword shotguns DIDN'T mean, linux is taking control over - I suspect, you dreamed about exactly that. nope, they meant, that from now, you won't use your PC and will be only poking into your crapdroid smartphone as an ape, connected to "cloud" services, supplied still by MS, Google, and other giants. and maybe it will be that, but who said those devices aren't modern "personal computers"? they are and they need an OS and why wouldn't they run Windows? they do already! yeah, MS f&cked up its mobile business so on smartphones we have this ugliness from google, but nothing prevents them, MS, from reentrance. I was talking for years, that they need to make ARM Windows an open platform, just like x86 is, in a sense, open for native programming on all levels, basically, WinAPI open, driver development open etc, not that locked RT BS. and provide SDK and WDK for that, and now it's a reality. for some years already. the same way, they might revision their attitude to smartphones. after all if they make those Surface tablets, convertibles/hybrids, basically tablet PCs, on their own even, running ARM processors, why wouldn't they take a look and think about the second coming of Win Mobile? this is way more realistic and natural, than that nonsense AI/IoT/cloud trash.

and when finally someone writes an article "tell someone to this dumbass d1ckhead eric raymond to finally shut the f&ck up and stop being such a miserable clown, not taken otherwise in even the open sauce community!" one must be of an extreme deal of both bravery and oligophrenia to still babble about "year of linux on desktop". after even a meme about this epic [s]fail[/s] got old.
1. Kernel too big? Build one yourself
2. make xconfig, make menuconfig exist
3. which GUI, there are many
4. maybe you are "impossible silly"..?
5. there is one binary file format: ELF
6. Ohh no business software, like MS SQL or SAP runs there? Oh wait...
7. you are telling rubbisc
8. this post was written on Linux
:lol: wait the minute. I see, it's a much worse case, than might seem. okay, just don't forget to take your FSF pills. :lol: and yet, - if you came up here to convince local developers to go collectively do Whine, that won't happen, as it's said in my language - don't hurt your 4ss. :D
leppy232

Post by leppy232 »

xpert wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:56 pm Which disadvantages for Linux?
I'm currently stuck using a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop for computing as I'm between houses and didn't have any other laptops, and Linux (even puppy linux, a distro specifically for laptops such as mine) is fairly sluggish and freezes before the day is done. Do I expect lightning fast performance from a laptop older than a high school freshman? No, but I do expect better out of a distro specifically designed for older 32-bit PCs that might otherwise be considered obsolete. Haiku is an... obvious beta, but when programs aren't crashing spectacularly it's tight and responsive, and ReactOS has the potential to be just like it in that regard once Intel driver support exists, but with actual software support and an interface you can sit most people in front of and they won't immediately go "what even is this?".

Plus, while it doesn't intimidate me, the terminal can be a little frustrating and definitely daunting for new users. I remember trying to install a GPU onto my desktop which by the time I got it was (iirc) 8 years old, and needing the CLI to install the nonfree driver because X wouldn't start because the version of nouveau I had doesn't like nearly decade old hardware was an experience in bashing my head in a wall over and over waiting for it to work.